• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I was so excited when I saw a frozen Amy's rice-crust pizza--until I turned it over and found the price--$8.99 (and an 8- 10-inch pizza would only serve one real person--my 5year-old and 7-year-old could easily split it with no leftovers).

Holy Toledo. I've always loved Amy's products, but the price tag on this is ridiculous. A rice crust is NOT expensive to make, or for that matter, difficult to make. I'll keep making my own.

This is SO disappointing! :(

I can get it at Kroger and Target for 5.99. I think that is what it costs. Check some other places if they are available to you. Having said that a homemade pizza on chebe pizza crust is not as conveinent as Amy's frozen but it tastes ALOT better. Check out some other spots for Amy's though. I know I don't pay more than 6 dollars.

I get the Amy's pizza at my local mom n pop grocery store. I think I normally pay about $6.29 for it. It's well worth it though. Convenience with a gluten free diet is not always easy. For me it's worth the extra few bucks. Anyway, I totally love the pizza. It's my absolute favorite (though it did take a while to get used to). Now I think I'd stick with that pizza even if I found out I didn't have celiac disease.

That is definately a treat I like and appreciate!!! I pay about $6 for it. Then I buy leeks, s$#&ake mushrooms, more white cheddar, and aparagus to add to it!! I used to be able to eat the whole thing even with the additional toppings ... but now that I'm absorbing more I can only eat about half of it (in one sitting anyway!).

IMHO it's the best gluten free pizza out there, but I know others say it's not that great. I think it's awesome! My whole family enjoys it.

We did one of the Amy's and it was from Target, so not so pricey. After that one, thought I decided I'd much rather have Chebe. You can even make the Chebe ones ahead and freeze them before the final baking. For a quick fix, we keep the Kinniknik??? crusts and just add toppings. These are sooooo good and easy.

Graystar

what other pizza does Amy's make that is gluten free? I thought the rice crust was the only one??/

Fiddle-Faddle

If you log on to Frankferd Farms website they have sales each month and at times have some gluten-free stuff on special. They are in Saxonburg. I order by the case when they have things on special like the pizzas as I will not go the price of $ 8.99 .I get the large bags of Nature Path corn flakes, rice krispie bars and etc. from there when a sale comes out. They also carry cinnamon rolls and millet frozen bread dough from Traci's treats. They are a tad pricey .

I also think Amy's is cheaper at whole foods, I know the frozen mac & cheese is $2.49 at Whole foods and $ 2.99 at our Giant Eagle.......

I'm going to Philly in a couple of weeks so I hope to find some things I can't get back here . I can't wait to go to the JULES Pizza Place for gluten-free pizza and be able to sit down outside of my home to eat it!!!!!

If you want me to look for anything for you let me know, just pm me..

mamaw

I really like the rice crusts. They are a different texture completely from regular crust, so if you're looking for a nice doughy pizza, this isn't it. I like them better than regular pizza.

It is good and worth it to have on hand in a pinch. I have gotten it at Target for cheaper. But they are the same price you paid at my co-ops.

Not that I have tried the pizza's myself but I think its worth considering pricewise that its not just the cost of the rice flour etc.

From what everyone is saying it sounds like the toppings are good quality and I think you have to consider the scale of the operation. First off they must be paying over the odds for their supplies both to make sure they are gluten-free and because they are just buying small amounts... then the cost of a gluten-free kitchen and redistribution.

I have to say at that price it is something to treat as a luxury but if you treat it as such then the price ins't too far out. At the end of the day you are paying for convenience, you can make your own pizza dough for cents and excluding leaving it to prove half an hours time investment so if you look on it as a little treat for yourself in terms of lazyness once in a while its not a bad price for a treat.

I do the same thing with gluten-free bread etc., well mainly I just don't make/use it but when I do I remind myself its a luxury not an everyday thing.

One hopes that Amy's will take into account the growing market and not see this as an excuse not to drop the price as sales increase. passing on benefits to their (customers) but otherise it looks to me (as an outsider like a catch-22).

I used to buuy Amy's at Fox's, health food store and sometimes I got it at Wegmans, never paid more than $6 for it. I was always happy with it. Now Grainless baker makes a pre-made pizza and I buy that for $5 and it is so yummy!!!!

You could try joining a co-op, www.unitedbuyingclubs.com their price is in the latest catalouge has Amy's rice crust pizza at $6.18 each and you buy by the case of 8 for $49.44. Glutino has a pretty good single serve pizza 6.2 oz. $4.53 each $27.18 a case of 6. There are monthly sales. I feel that it saves money and hassle in the long run because I'm not driving all over the place trying to save a few dollars on this product here and that product there. Buying in bulk has been easier because I live further out in the country.

L.

I've made rice crust pizzas from scratch--they're ridiculously easy and not even time consuming if you already have cooked rice hanging around. Considering that I don't eat wheat anything and my husband is Asian, it's not surprising ALWAYS have rice hanging around!

That's why I'm so ticked off--wheat/yeast crusts are much more difficult and time-consuming to make than rice crusts!

I've made rice crust pizzas from scratch--they're ridiculously easy and not even time consuming if you already have cooked rice hanging around. Considering that I don't eat wheat anything and my husband is Asian, it's not surprising ALWAYS have rice hanging around!

That's why I'm so ticked off--wheat/yeast crusts are much more difficult and time-consuming to make than rice crusts!

I'd love a recipe for that rice crust. blepke@hotmail.com

I'd love a recipe for that rice crust. blepke@hotmail.com

This is weird--I could have sworn I answered this post!

RICE CRUST

3 cups cooked, cooled rice, 1 cup shredded cheddar, 1 or 2 eggs

Mix, pat out onto greased pan with well-greased hands, make a rim so that tomato sauce doesn't leak, bake 18 minutes at 375, top, and rebake or broil until cheese melts and bubbles.

I like to add garlic and dried Italian seasoning.

You can cook up a whole pot of rice and freeze it in 3 cup batches--thaw in microwave as needed.