This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Free Salt Free Bread Recipe Needed

Susiemarie

Susiemarie Newbie

Desperately need recipe for wheat free salt free bread. My friend's aunt is in her 80's and has Meniere's so severely that she can ingest ABSOLUTELY no salt. Also is bothered by wheat. Does anyone have a recipe? My friend has a hi-tech bread machine and just needs the recipe. Her aunt is just skin and bones now and needs some FOOD!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

If wheat is the only gluten food she can't eat than how about this recipe.

Linda's Wheat-free bread

This is for baking in the oven but I'm sure it could be adapted. You could always make the oven kind and freeze the extra. It makes four loaves so you would want to adjust the recipe accordingly for just one loaf.

In electric mixer bowl place:

5 1/2 c water (125 degrees) or: (1 1/2 c apple juice + 4 c water)

1 c applesauce (if using apple juice omit applesauce)

Add to above:

1/2 c oil (optional)

1 1/2 tbsp salt (I wouldn't think this would matter if omitted, when I use bread machine recipes I always only use 1/4-1/2 tsp but without using wheat I'm sure it wouldn't rise as much. The salt is to temper the rising).

3 tbsp. dough enhancer (commercial or 100 mg vit c tablet crushed and 1 tbsp lecithin)

3 tbsp yeast

6 c rye flour

6 c rice flour (use short grain brown rice)

4 c oatmeal

1/2 c to 1 c soy flour (to taste, as this is a strong flavored flour)

This will make a dough the consistency of cookie dough and will not clean the sides of the bowl. Add exactly the amounts of flour given above.

Knead for 15 minutes on speed 1. Divide into fourths and bake in 4 x 8" pans that have been well greased. Allow to rise for 45 minutes in a warm oven and then bake at 350 for 1 hour.

You will not be able to handle this dough and shape loaves as usual. Scrape dough into pans to fill.

The short grain brown rice that is called for is used for it's finer flour and nicer texture. For the same reason the recipe calls for quick oatmeal rather than whole oats, according to Linda, who came up with this recipe and developed it for her son who has a wheat allergy.

After trying the recipe a couple of times, feel free to vary the ingredients.

From Cooking By The Book by Marcella Lynch

Hope this helps. :)

AndreaB Contributor

Sorry. :(

Just read the rest of the title so that recipe wouldn't work unless you were able to tweak it.

I would think any recipe would work. Just leave out the salt.

queenofhearts Explorer

I think any gluten-free bread recipe would work salt-free. Just watch the rising time since salt does slow yeast down. I'd check the dough after half the usual time, & keep an eye on it. If it rises too high before baking it will fall in the oven. I would suggest a quick bread recipe, which would be unaffected, but I'm afraid the leavening itself would be high in sodium. Certainly baking soda is & I think most baking powder.

You are so sweet to help your friend take care of her aunt. We all need to look out for each other since so few folks understand Celiac.

Leah

AndreaB Contributor

Ener-g has a baking powder (calcium carbonate and citric acid) that is salt free as well as the baking soda which I believe is just calcium carbonate. I think there website is www.energ.com.

Archived