• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Ashley

Stool Problems...

Rate this topic

I feel like I'm going to explode...for almost a month, my stools have been covered in blood. At first, lightly, but now they're completely covered. Went to the doctor, had a nice little exam <_< and got put on a powder lax to help soften the tools up. Suppose to go back in 2-3 weeks. If I had no blood, I take a specimen and that'll probably be the end of it. If there is still blood, I'll have to go to Vandy visit my G.I (who is the best ever) doctor at the childern's part. My reg doctor assured my that it was very unlikely that it's Crohn's Disease.

But, I'm having terrible bloating. Combined with the celiac bloating, I look and feel like I gained fifty pounds over night. I'm so miserable.

I have finals this Thursday and Friday and I really feel out of it. Any suggestions? Thanks

-Ash

You aren't alone. I have yet to go to the doctor about it, but its gotten worse now that I've started my gluten free diet. Calling DR. today. If I learn anything, I'll let you know.

They're bright red. Yes. Horrible pains, mostly through straining.

Clover- Thanks, hope the appointment goes well.

Bright red blood means it is lower down, usually on the anus or near it. Possibly you could have anal fissures or hemmeroids (sp?). Both can be painful with some itching and both can be caused by constipation or diarrhea. I would see a doctor to confirm what is going on.

yup. thats exactly it. i was told to increase the amount of fiber in my diet, so that i can get closer to regularity (i am trying Heather's Acacia powder for IBS), and that with the gluten free diet & fiber, it should be okay soon.

Asley, it is possible to get TOO MUCH fiber, which can also cause those same problems. Have you tried drinking more water, or drinking prune juice? Are you getting enough fat? Do you think you might have other intolerances, that could be causing this, like a dairy intolerance? For me, eating potatoes could go either way, I either get diarrhea, or constipation if I eat those. I also get constipation, bloating and gas from starches, no matter what they are, even no-grain ones.

Don't rely on your doctor, try a little experimenting, it can't hurt you (at least not more than your doctor's experiments, your own are probably less risky), and it might do a lot of good.

Hi. I had the same trouble, but my consultant said it should clear up once I was on the diet for a while - mine was from having the runs far too much, and my gut getting shredded basically. try drinking apple juice, which is a very good natural way to sort it out, and also Proctosedyl suppositories which I'm sure you can get from your Dr can also help to calm down your insides, and stop them swelling up or getting inflamed. Hope that helps :)

Felidae- I already have went to the doctor, stated in first post. In the exam, they found no hemmoroids, or fissures. I'm not really exeriencing any kind of itching.

clover- doc told me to bump up the fiber too. I sure do hope this does us some good.

Ursula (beautiful name by the way!) -I really hope I don't have any other intolerances. I do try to consume as much water as I can each day. My diet's so pitiful I'm not sure what I get everyday. But I'll try something or another.

Katie O'Rourke- I love apple juice, I got some a few days ago! I'll see what happens first with what the doctor told me to do, if that's doesn't help, I'll suggest the suppositories.

Hello,

I also have fissures and hems. as a result of long-term constipation due to the celiac. I know I do because of the bleeding and pain at each BM. However, the docs could never see them. Everything looked fine to them. Don't believe them. If you are bleeding bright red blood it is coming from near the anus and is likely fissures or hems. Especially if it coincides with pain. I never had any itching either. No pain or anything between bowel movements. Just the pain and bleeding when I would actually go. The docs also looked in the colon to see if there were signs of other problems and saw absolutley nothing - 'a healthy pink colon' they said. Just in case, you should have everything checked out just to make sure there is nothing else going on. If they still find nothing, then you know its the fissures and or hemorrhoids and that you need to get regular.

The docs also tried to get me to increase my fiber - never did any good. The constipation only got worse. I am better now because am now 100% gluten free - turns out I was not 100% before - and have stopped taking a bad probiotic that caused things to bind up and have added more vitamins and minerals. these GI/ colon docs really don't know enough about celiac.

About being 100% gluten-free - I find that I can only do this when I cook all of my own food.

hope you feel better.

since your straining to get bms, and its brite red blood it sounds like hems, dont push to much could turn into a fissur and those are not very plesent had one when i was 12, never had hems though but its what it sounds like you have onotp of whaterver else is bothering u

But, everyone, I've already said I've been to the doctor. I had an exam. No hem or fissures. I just don't know...I have an appointment this Thursday. I'll just let everyone know what's going on then.

But, everyone, I've already said I've been to the doctor. I had an exam. No hem or fissures. I just don't know...I have an appointment this Thursday. I'll just let everyone know what's going on then.

I hope they can figure out what is causing your pain. It doesn't sound like very much fun.