• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Is it safe to use Redken hair dye even if it contains wheat protien? I will only use professional hair coloring, to take the guess work out of it, and I have found that Redken is the best. I have been gluten free for 10 months now, and am still wondering if hair products such as hair coloring, recontructors, shampoo, & conditioners containing wheat and/or oats would be considered going off the gluten free diet. I have been extremely strict on the diet, but I dye my hair every two or three months. I have never gotten any symptoms after using the hair coloring. I am wondering if some absorbs into the skin, if this can cause damage, or is it only when gluten is injested?

There is a recent thread on this you might get some benefit from searching for ... most of us will use hair dye without worry just being careful the first few times we wash it. I would not, however, use shampoo or conditioner with wheat. Since that's a more frequent thing, there would be more of a chance of getting glutened from it. In fact, I get rashes from topical products with gluten.

Is it safe to use Redken hair dye even if it contains wheat protien? I will only use professional hair coloring, to take the guess work out of it, and I have found that Redken is the best. I have been gluten free for 10 months now, and am still wondering if hair products such as hair coloring, recontructors, shampoo, & conditioners containing wheat and/or oats would be considered going off the gluten free diet. I have been extremely strict on the diet, but I dye my hair every two or three months. I have never gotten any symptoms after using the hair coloring. I am wondering if some absorbs into the skin, if this can cause damage, or is it only when gluten is injested?

I also have DH so this may not apply for you but I get a rash and lose hair for at least a month after using a color with wheat in the ingredients. Some folks have no problem, unfortunately I am not one of them.