• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

JerryK

Omg I Might Actually Have celiac disease..

Rate this topic

Yesterday I ate an Apple Fritter for breakfast, just to see what would happen. A couple hours afterwards, I started feeling fatigued and groggy, sort of like not getting enough sleep. O.K. no big deal..this happens..

felt better after lunch.

In the afternoon I felt better after my noontime run. I decided against discussing the possibility of celiac disease with

my dentist again. No way can I have it! I feel fine, I'm just being a hypocondriac...ect...

In the evening...bam it hits me, cramps, diarrhea, bloating... the works :wacko: . I can only attribute this to what

I had for breakfast.

How can it have taken me 45 years to make this connection?

It can take a long time to figure out gluten sensitivities because gluten is in so many processed foods. It reminds me of the saying if you want to hide a tree, put it in the forest. There are so many variables to the rate of digestion. (exercise, bulk matter of the food, amount of liquid in stomach) Don't feel bad you didn't figure out what a doctor should have screened you for.

L.

The same way it takes doctors (MEDICAL DOCTORS) 11 years to diagnose people! You're fortunate that you figured it out. Many go undiagnosed for life and end up with horrible complications from the disease. Are you planning on getting tested?

The same way it takes doctors (MEDICAL DOCTORS) 11 years to diagnose people! You're fortunate that you figured it out. Many go undiagnosed for life and end up with horrible complications from the disease. Are you planning on getting tested?

Yes, my symptoms and my dental defects make me believe I need to be tested. I understand they test you for antibodies. What tests should I make sure they run on me? If the antibody test comes out positive on me, do I have to have a biopsy? I think I'd like to pass on that....

Yes, my symptoms and my dental defects make me believe I need to be tested. I understand they test you for antibodies. What tests should I make sure they run on me? If the antibody test comes out positive on me, do I have to have a biopsy? I think I'd like to pass on that....

Ask them to run a complete Celiac Panel and also to do a B12, folate and iron check. Then go gluten free as soon as the blood is drawn. Many have a false negative on the blood tests so regardless of the results you will want to at least try the diet. And yes those pictures in the other post sure do look like 'celiac teeth'. I have had 8 crowns and more to go. Both my DS and I were constantly harrassed by our past dentist for not taking care of our teeth when we care for them the same as the reccommend. I bet you love that new smile, I know I love mine just not the process to get it.

You should definitely get tested....doctors are just crazy sometimes when it comes to celiac. Takes them forever, especially if you do not have the supposed "classic" symptoms

Jerry, I completely agree with everything that has been said already. You should definitely be tested for celiac disease! And if that makes you feel better........I figured out I have celiac disease last year, at the age of 52! I did see many doctors with 'obvious' celiac disease symptoms (obvious to people who actually know about celiac disease, unfortunately, most doctors don't), but none of them clued in. Especially because I wasn't wasting away (even though as a kid I was a stick figure), but was gaining more and more weight.

Jerry, I completely agree with everything that has been said already. You should definitely be tested for celiac disease! And if that makes you feel better........I figured out I have celiac disease last year, at the age of 52! I did see many doctors with 'obvious' celiac disease symptoms (obvious to people who actually know about celiac disease, unfortunately, most doctors don't), but none of them clued in. Especially because I wasn't wasting away (even though as a kid I was a stick figure), but was gaining more and more weight.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try to motivate myself to discuss this with my dr. I'll load up on apple fritters right before the test :blink:

Jerry,

How about testing with plain macaroni or spagetti noodles ? Apple fritters have a lot of other ingredients besides flour that could have contributed to your symptoms. Anything fried tears me up ...

And I completely agree with the others about being tested prior to going gluten free. Even if the tests come back negative, you'll feel better that you were tested. But, from what I have read, no one really knows until they go on a strict gluten free diet whether or not they are celiac.

Hang in there ... I've been at this 10 months and I have so much to learn.

Marcia

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try to motivate myself to discuss this with my dr. I'll load up on apple fritters right before the test :blink:

You have guidance from another health professional! Your doctor isn't going to just ignore that.