This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Quit Smoking

Lister

Lister Rising Star

so i realized lately that i smoke way to much atleast 1 cig a hour sometimes 2, so i have desided i need to finally take the step and quit. I desided maybe nicorate would help...... lol........ withen 10 minutes i had aten the entire 25 doller pack.... and still wanted a cig afterwards..... i think im going to have to get brain washed to quit....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

My mom went in for a face lift at 42 ... the doc asked if she smoked, when she said yes, he said he wouldn't do the surgery because smoking is one of the leading causes of wrinkles. She threw her pack away and hasn't touched one since. Funny what will work for people.

My step-father went to an acupuncturist and it worked for him.

Lister Rising Star

i think for sure once all of this(what ever is wrong with me) is figured out and taken care of i will quit, the stress/axiety/worring has made me smoke alot (i used to only smoke like 6 cigs a day) once all of these things are delt with i think i may be able to make the step on my own as long as my girlfriend quits with me

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm afraid my story won't help Lister, either. I was a smoker from age 16 :ph34r: . Back then, in the early 70's, it was not uncommon. I got pregnant when I was 24, and had such nausea that I quit just like that. Couldn't stand to smoke, eat, or anything else. I never took it up again, but the cravings went on for a few years--especially after a good dinner.....I'm sorry, but I enjoyed it :(

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

hubby stoped smoking after 20 years, using hypnosis, we bought our tapes, but I recently found out you can check them out of the library for free, he had to listen to them every day for 30 minutes for a week then every other day for a week, then you are supposed to listen to them when you have "stressful" times, but he really hasn't had to use them anymore, he hasn't had a cig. in 3 years, doesn't miss them at all.

Lister Rising Star

once this is all over i dont think it will really be that hard if i just put my mind to it, i have only been smoking for 4 1/2 years and that firt year was like a cig every 5 days. so im not like a full blown addict, i just cant seem to not smoke right now

kabowman Explorer

I went to my doc and got a prescription for albuteral - if you have "seasonal depression" you can get it much cheaper through insurance - my hubby paid $125 for his month of pills. However, if you figure the cost of smoking, it really isn't that bad. I think I paid $25 for mine.

Anyway - it was the only way I could quit. One day, after I had been smoking out of habit, not need or desire for about a week, I just decided to not smoke until I got the urge...it never came. We stayed on the meds for about another week or two but that was it. I can't remember how long we took it before it started helping but one of the nice side benefits, for while we were on the meds, we didn't want beer, we only wanted healthy foods - go figure - and this was before I was gluten-free.

I smoked for about 20 years except for quitting when I was pregnant and for about 6 years after my second son was born - 1 1/2 packs a day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
My mom went in for a face lift at 42 ... the doc asked if she smoked, when she said yes, he said he wouldn't do the surgery because smoking is one of the leading causes of wrinkles. She threw her pack away and hasn't touched one since. Funny what will work for people.

My step-father went to an acupuncturist and it worked for him.

yeah, I got my dad to quit after my mom died. it was about two weeks after her funeral, I was five, and we were driving along in the car, with him smoking with the window rolled down. I looked over and asked in that cute little five year old way, "where do I go when you die?". he threw the thing out the window and didn't smoke again (barring two cigarettes the week my grandmother was in the hospital dieing years later).

amybeth Enthusiast

Cold turkey.

It was miserable - and I ate a lot to compensate, but it was worth it.

Occasionally, I'll still catch a sniff of passing smoke and crave it.

ehrin Explorer

Cold turkey.

It was miserable - and I ate a lot to compensate, but it was worth it.

I did it cold turkey as well.

I started when I was 12 (and yes, I thought I looked cool) and when I was about to turn 24 I realized that if I were smoking on my 24th b-day I would have been smoking for half my life.

I set a quit date in January of April 1 (b-day is April 12).

I made myself keep smoking till April 1 - oddly enough a few weeks prior smoking became terribly gross and unpleasurable - but I believe by holding my ground it made me even more ready.

That was 5 years ago, and I've had a drag here and there off of my bf's cigs, but everytime I do I get a horrible belly ache and it just tastes nasty. I haven't had a drag in a good year or so now.

Basically, what I tell my friends is, that if you really want to do it, you will - with or without meds.

It's all in your mind after those initial two weeks of withdrawal.

Good Luck!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Lister, up till now it may not be something you consider yourself addicted to. But the cravings you now describe say otherwise! I wouldn't keep procrastinating, you will always have an excuse! Easy for me to say, I know, as I have never been a smoker. Although, I do love sharing a good cigar with my husband! :rolleyes:

Oh, I did quit wheat cold turkey though!!

Archived