This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cc Question

emcmaster

emcmaster Collaborator

Do I need to buy new tupperware containers? Or are those generally safe?

Thanks. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Good question. Don't know ... they seem porous like a wooden spoon or a cast iron skillet, but don't know. Personally, I'd get rid of them. I got sick off an old wooden spoon in a huge pot of chili. I also got sick from a cast iron skillet. I don't think I'd make the same mistake a third time with Tupperware. :D

Guhlia Rising Star

There was some scientist's posting on here a while ago saying that due to the "blah blah blah" makeup of materials like Tupperware, they should be clean with about 10 dishwasher washings. I think that was what he said anyway. I can't remember. I know that I use all my Tupperware (but I washed it over and over and over before using).

VydorScope Proficient
There was some scientist's posting on here a while ago saying that due to the "blah blah blah" makeup of materials like Tupperware, they should be clean with about 10 dishwasher washings. I think that was what he said anyway. I can't remember. I know that I use all my Tupperware (but I washed it over and over and over before using).

He did not say 10, he said "with enough washing" and never put a number on it. Also he stated as somthing he THINKS to be true, rahter thank KNOWS to be ture. Personaly, I tossed all mine and got the gladware containers for now. Ther very cheap and work well. Well I got the storebrand ones, even cheaper, same idea. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

You know, it's probably true, "enough washing", but what is enough? I mean, I could probably boil all my old wooden spoons, but is it really worth all that trouble? Not to me. Same with the cast iron ... I remember my great-grandmother cooking tomato sauce in her pans regularly because it not only made sauce for her, but the acid also cleaned out the pan. Then she'd re-season them. I will do that with the pan I inherited from her :D

emcmaster Collaborator

Thanks, everyone! I will buy new ones this weekend!

penguin Community Regular
He did not say 10, he said "with enough washing" and never put a number on it. Also he stated as somthing he THINKS to be true, rahter thank KNOWS to be ture. Personaly, I tossed all mine and got the gladware containers for now. Ther very cheap and work well. Well I got the storebrand ones, even cheaper, same idea. :)

I think I posted that, because that's what my chemical engineer husband said, and he specializes in plastics. He said the same thing about teflon pans. He just gave an "enough" answer. To that end, I don't think I've ever been glutened by my tupperware or my teflon. In my case though, neither had scratches.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

I think "enough" washing would probably be okay, but I did buy new myself. And, can I suggest my favorite kind? I do not like cheaper tupperware b/c it will stain and sometimes pass on a plastic taste to foods. I love these containers b/c they do not stain or add a strange taste to foods. They are easy to clean, even with greasy foods. They have also worked very well for long-term freezer storage. Open Original Shared Link Just a suggestion... They are more expensive--but will last for a long time. You may prefer the cheaper, replace type... I do like keeping the glad ones on had for when I pass food onto friends. That way I don't have to get my tupperware back.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I only use glass containers to store food in, since plastic is most probably toxic to humans (give them a few more years - they're already admitting it with the teflon). Plus, they don't stain, don't harbor taste/odors, and clean in the dishwasher to a pristine state.

lindalee Enthusiast
I only use glass containers to store food in, since plastic is most probably toxic to humans (give them a few more years - they're already admitting it with the teflon). Plus, they don't stain, don't harbor taste/odors, and clean in the dishwasher to a pristine state.

I received an email saying not to freeze water bottles as they make toxins that cause cancer after a freeze.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I use glass baking dishes, and everything even bowls.

Stainless pots & pans and everything else. nOthing plastic...

But question the dishwasher does it really getting everything?

When daddyO is here in the winter time and he's got crumbs and unsafe food particles everywhere I wonder, then when I see them them again at the bottom of the dishwasher I really wonder about CC.

Archived