• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

gavinsdaddy

Nutritionist Appointment

Rate this topic

I have appointment with a nutritionist on wenesday.I was woundern what kind of questions I should ask. I want to try to make the most out of this appointment. Any help would be great.

I don't mean to be facetious but ask

how many celiac patients they see

each year and are they familiar with

this website. The person I went to

saw maybe one patient a year and

had no clue - that's not to say all

nutritionist are clueless, but the answers

will give you an idea of what they

are familiar with.

I learned most everything from research

and this website.

Good Luck!

I was very happy with the fact that my nutritionist knew about celiac disease, gave me info, talked about where the hidden gluten was etc and I had gone in for pre-diabetes appointment, not for food intolerances. Unfortunately, she didn't say anything that I had not already found out on my own, online.

I'm waiting a call from the nutritionist myself; but then my doctor's PA told me that she had sent someone else to see this same person, and didn't learn anything she hadn't learned on the Internet.

Thus, if my insurance ins't going to cover it, I'm going to research it out myself. My questions, though, if I do go:

1. where is hidden gluten

2. are we talking molecular levels - do I need my own toaster/cutting board/etc.

3. if I'm not one of those folks who instantly reacts to gluten, how can I be sure I'm safe

4. do I need a biopsy?

5. how do I get myself a bone density scan, and how often do they need to be checked up (though this might be more for your regular doc)

6. how can I be sure I'm getting enough fiber?

7. if I'm unable to absorb nutrients through my intestines right now, how can I get some vitamins/minerals into my system?

8. are there ways s/he knows of to help convince my family to get tested (Mom and sister)

9. what are support groups in my area

10. are there any studies that need my info right now?

11. are there any physicians s/he knows of who are experts in celiac that I might consider seeing?

i don't know...those are just some ideas. I think the hidden gluten, especially in non-food items, is important. Every time I use my shampoo and stuff I wonder what is in it, and since I don't read industrial gobbledy-goop, I can't tell myself.

Good luck.

See, you don't need a nutritionist at $80 a pop...

1. where is hidden gluten - Modified food starch, natural & artificial flavorings, malt, MSG (ok if in US), hydrolized vegetable/plant protein, starch, there are others also. When in doubt, call the company.

2. are we talking molecular levels - do I need my own toaster/cutting board/etc. - yes

3. if I'm not one of those folks who instantly reacts to gluten, how can I be sure I'm safe - Diligence, follow up blood tests

4. do I need a biopsy? - that's for your regular dr to answer, depends on blood tests and/or how firm a diagnosis you want.

5. how do I get myself a bone density scan, and how often do they need to be checked up (though this might be more for your regular doc) - that's for the reg doc and your insurance

6. how can I be sure I'm getting enough fiber? - metamucil is gluten-free, and plenty of veggies and fruits (ie: apples with the skin on, oranges) and brown rice, etc.

7. if I'm unable to absorb nutrients through my intestines right now, how can I get some vitamins/minerals into my system? - liquid or sublingual (under the tongue) vitamins. Intravenously if the deficiency is severe

8. are there ways s/he knows of to help convince my family to get tested (Mom and sister) - research, and books like dangerous grains and Celiac Disease: a hidden epidemic. Keep on them, give them stats.

9. what are support groups in my area - google it

10. are there any studies that need my info right now? - google it

11. are there any physicians s/he knows of who are experts in celiac that I might consider seeing? - google it, ask other celiacs in your area

I think some of us need to go that route when you are first starting out. You just don't know. My husband had the same opinion - we didn't learn anything but it didn't really hurt to go since insurance covered the visit. This board is more help than any doc or nutritionist I ever talked to...ever.

I think I got lucky...my nutritionist is the one who suggested that I be tested for Celiac while seeing her for my eating disorder. We talked a lot about my "IBS" and food intolerances and she suggested the blood tests. Once I went gluten-free, though, she has some info, but not nearly as much as I was able to get myself with some research. When I went back for a follow-up, she said that I could teach her! LOL!