• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

JerryK

Another Question For You Veterans

Rate this topic

Does Caffeine exacerbate Celiac? Does coffee/caffeine bother folks with Celiac? I don't seem

to tolerate coffee well.

Thanks, Jerry

Caffene can cause problems, but it's not necessarily celiac related. My stomach (as in the stomach itself) is very sensitive and doesn't like caffene much. Also, if one has hypoglycemia, caffiene can exacerbate low blood sugar symptoms.

Let's just put it this way, a good cup of coffee is a great solution for constipation, celiac or not (I call them coffee enemas) :)

Besides, why would you want caffeine stains on those BEAUTIFUL teeth!!!!! :D

One cup of caffeinated beverage after 8 am will keep me up until after 1 am. Other than that, it does not bother me.

Caffeine is a stimulant and can cause everything in your body including your intestines to "move faster" which can make diarrhea worse. If your symptoms are under control, you can try it and see how much you can tolerate.

When I was tested for intolerances four years ago, one of the ones that showed up was coffee. It has never been a stimulant for me, it makes me incredibly sleepy instead (and sleeping pills will keep me up all night)!

Coffee tears me up also...especially if I am drinking it on an empty stomach. Now I pretty much just drink it on weekends, when I am going to be around the house and don't worry so much about the effects. I think the acid is partly to blame, my GI doc recommended against drinking much coffee, or red wine for that matter, because it can exacerbate GERD symptoms.

It's too bad though...a good cup of coffee is like the nectar of the gods...decaf isn't quite so hard on the stomach, but it just doesn't make me happy...

Guest Viola

I love my coffee! :D However, if I drink too much it does affect my acid reflux :( But it has never caused 'D' or any other Celiac related symptoms, and I get "D" very easily with the slightest amount of gluten.

Perhaps it's the milk or sugar that's added that's causing the problems, or you may be sensitive to the coffee bean.