• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

A health food store handed me a sample of vitamins that contain wheat grass, the name scared me off but they said no its okay. I'm still gun shy. Does anyone know for sure if wheat grass is okay?

mamaw

Guest nini

The companies that make those "Green" drinks like Amazaki (sp?) and such, claim that wheat grass is gluten-free, personally, I'm with you, it scares me. The fact that it is still part of the wheat plant is too close for my comfort, but those companies claim that it does not contain the protein gluten, and therefore is gluten-free.

As for me, I'm too chicken to even try it! I'd be curious to see if anyone else consumes wheat grass with no adverse side effects~

The companies that make those "Green" drinks like Amazaki (sp?) and such, claim that wheat grass is gluten-free, personally, I'm with you, it scares me. The fact that it is still part of the wheat plant is too close for my comfort, but those companies claim that it does not contain the protein gluten, and therefore is gluten-free.

As for me, I'm too chicken to even try it! I'd be curious to see if anyone else consumes wheat grass with no adverse side effects~

I agree, how does the gluten get into the ears or whatever they are called if not through nutrients carried through the shoots... it might not be gluten exactly but it must contain everything to make gluten.

In the plant metabolism that is required for a seed of wheat to grow into a stalk of grass, the nutrients in the seed are used up. Because the nutrients remain in the seed, and are brought into the stalk as they go through the metabolic processes, and are used up entirely over the life-span of the stored energy in the seed, the idea is that the grass stalk does not contain the offending protein. And it probably doesn't. (I haven't seen any mass-spec studies on the grass itself.) But, the problem comes from knowing with _certainty_ that the nutrients (particularly the protein) in the seed, have been entirely used up, and none of the seed is gathered up in the harvesting process.

This is an ingredient just asking to contaminated you, and I certainly wouldn't take the risk.

We moved shortly after going gluten-free and several of my vitamins were packed away. After a month or so of being gluten-free and feeling good without these vitamins, I started taking them again and lost 6 pounds in three days. I read everything I had eaten, I hadn't eaten out, and determined it had to be the vitamins. They contained barley grass. Not wheat grass, but same theory applies.

I understand that the protein is used up when the grass grows. My question would be, what is the protein in the wheat grass if it's not gluten? Green veggies do contain some protein. I really don't know this answer.

If the protein in the itself grass is not the problem, then I'd say they cannot harvest it without ensuring that some of it hasn't gone to seed.

Thanks everyone for your comments on the wheat grass. Again I'm to scared to try it ....And as for most everyone who answered I believe we all feel the same.

thanks

mamaw

Thanks everyone for your comments on the wheat grass. Again I'm to scared to try it ....And as for most everyone who answered I believe we all feel the same.

thanks

mamaw

One of the first things I did when I found out I couldn't have gluten was to Google Jamba Juice (I love that place, and I was going to be seriously irked if I couldn't have my smoothies any more). Just about all their drinks and smoothies are listed as gluten-free, but they specifically say the wheatgrass isn't gluten-free.