• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

skinnyminny

How Do I Know If I Am Getting Enough Calories?

Rate this topic

I have really been eating so much the past few months hoping to put on some weight I am naturally thin and still a teenager and non of my friends understand tryng to GAIN weight.. I try to keep a food journal and write down what I eat just like a dieter would to ensure I am getting enought calories, it totals out to 2,000 most days but if im not at home more like 1,800 but does anyone know if I should be gettin more, because the weight hasn't been gained, should I what a daily eating is like for me to get the full effect if I am gettin enough from each group?

If you are eating that many calories and maintaining your weight most likely you are not getting enough calories to gain the weight. They usually tell you to up calorie intake like 250-500. Also, drink alot of water and go for high protein foods. My major is nutrition so if you have any questions you are welcome to email me and I will help you out.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked? Hyperthyroid can make it hard to gain weight.

Thanks, I wanted to major in nutrion to but couldn't deal with all the organic chemistrys, I have not had my thyroid checked thats a thought because I eat all the time im not sure where it is all going that might be something I need to look into, I have been gluten free for 5 years so I lost 10 pounds this year and nothing has really changed its not a lot of weight for most people but it is since i dont need to loose. I eat lots of protein, and almonds and peanuts, and peanutbutter so maybe its just a matter of time.

I would definitely recommend getting your thyroid checked because some people can eat 5000 calories a day but not gain anything and even could lose weight with hyperthyroid.

I've never counted calories. If I'm trying to lose weight (not lately, but I used to have to watch it), I eat things that are bulky and watery, like fruit, raw veggies, etc. and restrict, but not eliminate the more concentrated foods. If I'm trying to gain weight, I eat more protein and other more concentrated calories. I rely on my body's hunger to tell me whether I'm eating the right amount. When I was trying to gain, eating those concentrated calories whenever I was hungry did the trick. Sometimes I would eat a meal, then a half-hour later, eat a snack.

Eating more calories than you need to maintain weight is the idea behind it, I've just done it without the counting ... but I'm generally not scientific about things. Plus, if you're not absorbing all the calories that would cause a problem with the numbers. I had a friend who was with me for a weekend when we worked a convention together. The poor thing was on a diet, and here I was eating constantly. She counted my calories and determined I was eating something like 3500 per day, and this was how much I ate regularly and was only maintaining. This was when I was pretty sick and not completely gluten-free. I thought I was, but wasn't watching cc.

I'm pretty sure I still eat way more than 2000 per day to keep my weight up. I know that sometimes the snacks I eat between meals sometimese total 1000 calories (they're easier to count for me since they are prepackaged items).