• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I had my endoscopy today and my GI doc was looking at my blood tests for celiac. He told me that I had 2 blood tests ran, 1 which was positive and the other was negative....he also says there is a 3rd blood test that I did not have done, but we can do after we get biopsy results back. What does this mean, does anyone know?

There should be 5 blood tests done( EMA, tTG, IgA, IgG, Total Serum IgA) They all have a place in testing so should really be done together. A gene test would also probably help. Some of those blood tests are very accurate and some doctors use the one test for diagnosis in kids. Biopsies can only rule celiac in and not out. They only get a few samples and if there is sporadic damage than it can come back negative, or if you are in beginning stages it can come back negative so don't put all your eggs in the biopsy basket.

Btw, which test came back positive and which came back negative?

I don't know which ones...he was telling me this after the biopsy and I was still kind of out of it. He told me that there were 2 tests done and the better of the 2 was negative. I guess I would just prefer to have all of the tests run again to be sure. I'm not saying that I hope I have it, but at least it would explain my symptoms! Thanks for the feedback!