This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have A French Dip Recipe?

Cheri A

Cheri A Contributor

I have a recipe from Allrecipes that my family loved for crockpot french dip sandwiches. It used beer, beef broth and Lipton Onion Soup Mix.

I made it yesterday in the crockpot and subbed w/a bottle of Woodchuck draft cider, turkey broth, onions and Mrs. Dash. It just wasn't the same and the draft cider gave it a wierd taste. Does anyone have any ideas? Or a recipe that they like?

I even made a special batch of bread and made Carleigh hamburger buns so she could have the full effect. I am bummed it didn't turn out right..

:D (Carleigh posted this)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I dont have any ideas what to use for the beer besides one of the gluten free ones, and I am having trouble finding them!

But for the beef broth just use a gluten free one, for instance, Swanson, I use them for everything and it comes out great.

For the soup mix, use Lipton onion soup mix, its the only mix that is actually gluten free. Just remember that none of the other mixes by Lipton are gluten free (that I know of)

I am sure someone else will answer to this post too, maybe they know a sub for the beer.

I hope this helps some and your recipe comes out great!!!!

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks, Tink.

I have looked at the boxed broths and thought they had MSG in them. It seemed to bother Carleigh. Same w/the Lipton Onion Soup Mix. :(

Wonder what it would do w/some wine?

yum.. some wine in there too.. that would be good. Yeah it seems almost anything comes with msg in it.. anything that is prepackaged that is. I do have a recipe for Onion Soup Mix if you are interested. Just let me know and I will post it for you. MSG is not an ingredient in it.

Cheri A Contributor
yum.. some wine in there too.. that would be good. Yeah it seems almost anything comes with msg in it.. anything that is prepackaged that is. I do have a recipe for Onion Soup Mix if you are interested. Just let me know and I will post it for you. MSG is not an ingredient in it.

Oh yes, please. I'd love the onion soup mix recipe!

You got it! Here it is.. it comes from Gluten Free 101 by Carol Fenster

Onion Soup Mix

1/2 cup dried minced onions

1 tbspn sweet rice flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp bouillion powder (I just checked my Herb Ox, it doesnt say MSG on it)

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp celery seed

1/4 tsp apple pectin powder

Combine ingredients in a screw top jar. Store in dark, dry place. Use in same proportions as commercial onion soup mixes. Makes about 1/3 cup.

I hope this helps and you can get your french dip. Let me know I would love to try it!

Cheri A Contributor

Oh, THANK YOU! That sounds great! Now to find Herb Ox and apple pectin powder. Do you get it at the HFS? I'm determined to make this work again and will definitely let you know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Herb Ox I get in the soup section in my regular supermarket and it is gluten free for sure.

The apple pectin I would look in any supermarket too where canning goods are sold, it sounds like something I would use with canning goods. If not someone must know where to get it! Let me know!

• 8 months later...
ceci brown Newbie
I have a recipe from Allrecipes that my family loved for crockpot french dip sandwiches. It used beer, beef broth and Lipton Onion Soup Mix.

I made it yesterday in the crockpot and subbed w/a bottle of Woodchuck draft cider, turkey broth, onions and Mrs. Dash. It just wasn't the same and the draft cider gave it a wierd taste. Does anyone have any ideas? Or a recipe that they like?

I even made a special batch of bread and made Carleigh hamburger buns so she could have the full effect. I am bummed it didn't turn out right..

:D (Carleigh posted this)

If you don't know it already, there is now a gluten-free beer! Haven't tried it, but it is by Ansheimer Busch, and it is called something like "Red Brick." Now with the Lipton Soup (which is gluten-free) and the beer you ought to be set! :P

ceci brown Newbie
If you don't know it already, there is now a gluten-free beer! Haven't tried it, but it is by Ansheimer Busch, and it is called something like "Red Brick." Now with the Lipton Soup (which is gluten-free) and the beer you ought to be set! :P

So would you now share the recipe?

ceci brown Newbie

So would you now share the recipe?

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

We had hot roast beef sammys yesterday too...

I took two yellow onions and sliced them really thin. I placed them in the bottom of the crockpot. I poured over 1 qt of Pacific Beef Broth. I added salt and a bay leaf. I cooked it on high for 4 hours. THEN, I added two lbs of fresh roast beef lunch meat (my deli does it without any seasonings for me). Then I let the beef warm thru.

Everyone else had it on buns with provalone and horseradish. I had made sandwich buns out of a gluten-free Pantry French bread loaf. I enjoyed it a lot.

:)

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks for bringing this thread back up!! I never did try it again!!

Here is the recipe that I have:

Open Original Shared Link

I am going to have to get some Red Bridge and see if that works better!

• 1 year later...
Auntie Em Newbie

You might want to try "Redbridge" sorghum beer. Produced by Annehueser-Busch. To drink, it's sort of bitter but does have a beer taste that would most likely work well in your recipe.

Auntie Em

Cheri A Contributor
You might want to try "Redbridge" sorghum beer. Produced by Annehueser-Busch. To drink, it's sort of bitter but does have a beer taste that would most likely work well in your recipe.

Auntie Em

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I forgot all about it. I'm going to get some Redbridge and try it again. :D

Archived