This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Bloating

Guest Kris Fisher

Guest Kris Fisher

I've been diagnosed with Celiac for 2 months. I doubt I've been gluten free for more than a week. It seems whatever I try (gluten/wheat free) my stomach blows up. I eat fruit for breakfast, and vegys with basomic vinegrett for lunch. My abdomin is larger than it was before I was diagnosed. Is it the fruits and vegys I HAVE TO eat? If so, will it get better?

The other night I had 2 Colorado Bulldogs after work, went home and had vegy's over Lundbergs rice. I died. My abdomin hurt so bad I actually felt as though I was going to loose it. I froze and it was like 85 degrees out. I've never had pain that bad before. As far as I know my supper was gluten and wheat free but what about my drink. I know Vodka and Kaluha (sp?) is okay but is Pop? I put root beer in it and thats the only time I drink pop is in a drink. I've been drinking Bulldogs for a few years now and never had a problem but thought I would see what you think.

Kris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

are the bulldogs beer? if so, then you're getting gluten.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I always drank vodka, often times a black russian. Now, I'm very sensitive to it, even the potato vodka. I am avoiding it for a time, and will try again later as I miss cosmos. I know mine were gluten-free, I think it's just the healing process for me. I love bulldogs, and look forward to having one.

I'm fine with wine and rum with soda. Not particularly my favorite, but it'll do for now. I really don't know what the problem is with the vodka, but it really tears me up. I know those vodka drinks are much stronger than the wine and highballs, so maybe my body is just telling me to take it easy and let it heal.

As for the other food, maybe it's just your detoxing from the gluten. Are you eating significantly healthier? Sometimes it seems that when you do things get worse before they get better! It's like your body says, "Great, I can clean up since that garbage isn't around right now, and I better do it fast before it's here again!"

Oh, I just reread your post and see the part about freezing ... that happens to me when I get dehydrated ... so do severe stomach cramps. I either drink Propel or add a shake of salt to my water to rehydrate. In fact, I pretty much add the salt all the time now just to avoid dehydration ... it adds electrolytes to the water. Also be sure you're getting enough protein.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Did you eat garlic? Only an idea - but 3/4 of my painful bloating abdominal nightmare went away when I quit garlic.

I don't know about your drink, I'm a teetotaler myself. Did you try googling it?

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Colorado Bulldog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 shot Vodka

1 shot Kahlua

Milk

1 splash Coca-Cola

Mixing instructions:

In a shaker mix Vodka, Kahlua, and milk. Pour into a rocks glass and add a splash of Coca-Cola

If this is the same recipe for the drink you are talking about, you could be having trouble with the milk and hopefull you are checking brands on the liquors you are using.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

wolfie Enthusiast

During the first month or 2 of going gluten-free I wasn't able to have very many fruits or veggies at all...they all gave me lots of gas & bloating. Also, I had to cut out all carbonated beverages, especially those with artificial sweetners. Now I can eat a lot more stuff and be comfortable than I could back in Jan/Feb. Could dairy be a problem for you? If so, try taking Lactaid with any dairy.

Did you eat garlic? Only an idea - but 3/4 of my painful bloating abdominal nightmare went away when I quit garlic.

Garlic is a big one for me too...I stay away from it if I can.

Guest Kris Fisher
During the first month or 2 of going gluten-free I wasn't able to have very many fruits or veggies at all...they all gave me lots of gas & bloating.

What did you eat if you didn't eat fruits and veggies?

As for the other food, maybe it's just your detoxing from the gluten. Are you eating significantly healthier? Sometimes it seems that when you do things get worse before they get better! It's like your body says, "Great, I can clean up since that garbage isn't around right now, and I better do it fast before it's here again!"

Oh, I just reread your post and see the part about freezing ... that happens to me when I get dehydrated ... so do severe stomach cramps. I either drink Propel or add a shake of salt to my water to rehydrate. In fact, I pretty much add the salt all the time now just to avoid dehydration ... it adds electrolytes to the water. Also be sure you're getting enough protein.

I am eatting significantly heathier :) Not that I was a horriby bad eater before but I definately didn't eat enough fruits and veggies before. I definately did a 360 in my intake of fresh everything.

Dehydrated...I only drink water other than milk for supper and pop in my bulldogs. I would think I'm hydrated but your not the first to mention dehydration. I will try adding a shake of salt to my water. Thanks for the advice. That is why I love this site.

Have a great Memorial Day.

Kris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Terrilyn Rookie
:( Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I myself have only been diagnoised since March and I know it takes a while for the bloating and gas to go away. Even though I eat gluten free I still get gas. Somestimes I think it is the veggies, which I think is normal gas,so I just cut back. I'm from the east so I don't know what your drink is but, I did read that ROOT BEER is a no no. That was the only pop that was on the do not eat list. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
wolfie Enthusiast
What did you eat if you didn't eat fruits and veggies?

I ate lots of bland foods. I did eat plain meats (chicken, steak, salmon), potatoes, brown rice, cheese (with Lactaid), black beans. I could eat well cooked corn or peas, but that is about the extent of it. I had to stop eating salads b/c they were just too hard on my stomach. I didn't season my food very much at all except for a little salt & pepper. I did eat frozen Kinnickinnick plain bagels and Van's waffles too. I discovered some other food intolerances in addition to gluten during these first few months too. It was very plain and boring, but I felt so much better and feel great now. I do still have my days where I don't feel well, but they are few and far between now and I can usually pinpoint what it was that made me feel sick. I stay away from most processed foods b/c the ingredient lists are too long and it would be virtually impossible to figure out what isn't agreeing with me. I am now able to add fruits back in without any issue.

Good luck!

lorka150 Collaborator

Barq's, Mug, A&W, Stewart's are all gluten-free varieties of root beer.

Guest Kris Fisher
Barq's, Mug, A&W, Stewart's are all gluten-free varieties of root beer.

Where did you find this information?

bluejeangirl Contributor

Let me see Fruits, Veggies, and brown rice. High in fiber. If you've not been eating like this before your body has to get used to it. It just takes alittle time. Your making good choices though, your body will get used to it before you know it and start to make those enzyems you need to handle the fiber.

Gail

lorka150 Collaborator

From the company lists.

Archived