This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Glutened By Bob's Red Mill All Pupose Flour Mix?

TCA

TCA Contributor

I used Bob's Red Mill All Pupose Flour Mix in tonight's dinner and having lots of symptoms. Anyone else have problems with this product? I also made Pamela's bread for the first time, but I don't think that was it. Bob's flour is the only thing I can think of.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

While I have no problems with it, and I know they do regular testing on their gluten-free lines, others here have noted that they have had problems with their stuff.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I have problems with bobs all the time, whenever my mom would use it in my bread it would give me horrible stomach cramps and nausea.

Felidae Enthusiast

For whatever reason, I have problems with Bob's products. I wish I knew why.

Becky6 Enthusiast

My daughter and I react to them as well.

penguin Community Regular

I've reacted to both of the products you used, at different times.

terps19 Contributor

Do you have problems with the white rice flour? IT seems to be fine for me

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JenAnderson Rookie

I've had problem with it lately. A lot of bone pain and some cramping. My DH used it yesterday by mistake and I've really been the slug since. I switched to Kinnikinnick, but my husband decided to make me waffles for breakfast and forgot that the "good" stuff was in the freezer.

TCA Contributor

I've been using rice flour a lot with no problems.

I thought Pamela's was in a dedicted facility, so I ruled it out. How did you react to it, Chelsea?

I have a patch of skin between my fingers on my rt. hand that the dermatologist thinks is DH. It flared up big time after eating the Bob's Red Mill, then I got lots of tummy troubles. Lasted all through yesterday. My nursing daughter then broke out really bad with her eczema the next day. Had to be gluten. This stuff is too expensive to not actually be gluten-free!!!!!!!! :angry:

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I believe I reacted severely to their flaxseed.

terps19 Contributor

That would be horrible if Bobs Red Mill stuff was not gluten-free. It says that they test for gluten.

penguin Community Regular
I've been using rice flour a lot with no problems.

I thought Pamela's was in a dedicted facility, so I ruled it out. How did you react to it, Chelsea?

I reacted the same I do to gluten, foggy, stomach problems, etc. I make pizza every week, normally with chebe mix, but this one time I used Pamela's. I did everything else the same, just the mix was different. I react quickly to gluten.

sleepingbean Newbie

I have terrible terrible awful stomach pains when I tried a gluten-free mix by Bob Red MIlls. It had bean flours in it, though, and I think the problem was that they weren't cooked well enough and / or I ate too much of them. I don't do well with beans! Many people don't. If you find that a mix containing bean flours is bothering you, try another mix without beans and see how you do. (or flax, or whatever you suspect). But I avoid beans for the most part. And of course you probably know you should never eat raw cookie dough when it is made with bean flours. Beans have a certain toxicity that I cannot explain well, but it dissapears in the cooking process. When raw, though, they can make a person very sick!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
That would be horrible if Bobs Red Mill stuff was not gluten-free. It says that they test for gluten.
They do test for gluten, but if you read their website, their wording leads me to believe that they do detect gluten in their products and I think that is why some of us are getting sick.

"While the current Codex gluten-free standard specifies a gluten limit of 200 parts per million (ppm), Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free products consistently fall below 20 ppm."

Open Original Shared Link

codetalker Contributor

The company's web site says the following:

"While the current Codex gluten-free standard specifies a gluten limit of 200 parts per million (ppm), Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free products consistently fall below 20 ppm."

The issue therefore of whether their products are gluten-free or not is dependent on each celiac's definition of gluten-free. For celiacs who believe that gluten-free means products that consistently test with less than 20 ppm, then the company's products are gluten-free. For celiacs who believe gluten-free means gluten-free (i.e. zero gluten), then the company's products are not gluten-free. There is no universal standard here.

Further, I have read articles that the gluten from wheat, rye and barley are unique as is corn gluten, which many eat w/o problems. My understanding is that each type of gluten requires its own test. For example, the test for wheat gluten would not detect barley gluten or rye gluten. One source I came across claimed there is no tests for barley gluten and rye gluten.

Going back to the company's web site,

"We stone grind all common and most uncommon grains into flours and meals on our over one-hundred-year-old mills."

The implication is that the mills may well process both barley and rye. That being the case, does the company test for barley gluten and rye gluten in addition to wheat gluten? Or, do they just test for wheat gluten?

Unless you are someone who reacts only to wheat, you might want to get an answer to that question before consuming any products.

Going back to the first statement, "consistently fall below 20 ppm", that statement is not the same as saying "always" fall below 20 ppm. What happens if the test indicates more than 20 ppm or worse yet more than 200 ppm? I have yet to hear a single company state that they throw everything out, wash the equipment down and start from scratch. What happens to a production run that fails the test?

Bottom line, I have given up buying products from non-dedicated facilities. Also, I adhere to the zero gluten rule. It is the only way to have any degree of confidence.

Archived