• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Chako

Difference Between Celiac And Crohns?

Rate this topic

I am learning so much here and for that I thank you all. :)

However as I have family members with celiac (one cousin) and one Aunt and cousin with crohns I am wondering what the difference is? I am researching it but there seems to be a lot of overlap. I get that celiac is the gluten problem but what I wonder is if the bloodwork is the same for both but minus a showing for gluten allergy/intolerance?

And does a scope show damage to the intestines only in celiac for sprue?

IBS I now have a great handle on, thanks. :rolleyes: Goodness help me if that is the end result for my son.

I am learning so much here and for that I thank you all. :)

However as I have family members with celiac (one cousin) and one Aunt and cousin with crohns I am wondering what the difference is? I am researching it but there seems to be a lot of overlap. I get that celiac is the gluten problem but what I wonder is if the bloodwork is the same for both but minus a showing for gluten allergy/intolerance?

And does a scope show damage to the intestines only in celiac for sprue?

IBS I now have a great handle on, thanks. :rolleyes: Goodness help me if that is the end result for my son.

Celiac can cause chrons type symptoms. The blood work for these is different, in Chrons they are looking for signs of inflammation and infection and in Celiac they are looking for antibody reactions. There is a great deal of overlap in the two conditions and anyone with Chrons should give the gluten free diet a try to see if it helps. No matter what the blood tests for celiac say. There are enough false negatives to make it worthwhile to always try the diet. The endo (through the mouth) is used to detect celiac changes but again if biopsies are not done or are done in the wrong place a false negative can occur. With Chrons the scope goes in the other end and the biopsies that should be taken would come from the large intestine and be checking for the inflamatory process.

Do NOT accept the IBS diagnosis for your son, if the gluten free diet does not help him be sure to investigate other common food allergies. If needed you can go through an allergist who will help with an elimination diet to make sure that he does not have multiple intolerances. You also could go with Enterolab testing. Celiac often presents in adolesence as depression and mood disturbances, it can also effect learning. I can not stress strongly enough IMHO that you should not allow them to give the blanket cop out diagnosis of IBS.

Thanks for the reply! I thought it was along those lines but I wanted to make sure. :)

He is to be scoped for an upper endoscopy and a lower sigmoidoscopy as well. The GI mentioned Celiac, IBS,, EE (eosiniphilic esophagitis), EGID, and I really can not recall if she said Crohns or not but the testing is all about his immune system and celiac and absorption. I checked out all the tests she ordered already.

There is inflammation with celiac as well, correct? A mucous stool is part of it in some cases?

Thanks for the reply! I thought it was along those lines but I wanted to make sure. :)

He is to be scoped for an upper endoscopy and a lower sigmoidoscopy as well. The GI mentioned Celiac, IBS,, EE (eosiniphilic esophagitis), EGID, and I really can not recall if she said Crohns or not but the testing is all about his immune system and celiac and absorption. I checked out all the tests she ordered already.

There is inflammation with celiac as well, correct? A mucous stool is part of it in some cases?

I can only speak for myself and I was real, real ill before it was found but I did have mucous in my stool at times but a colonoscopy revealed no inflammation in the large intestine. Please make sure they do lots of biopsies during the scope and make sure you get copies of all reports. They sometimes differ from what people are told.