This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Almost Had To Go To The Hospital

Celia the Celiac

Celia the Celiac Apprentice

okay,

I had a scrambled egg and chicken sausage for breakfast, beans and rice this evenning, some soy ice cream...then had the runs big time. Got dizzy, had to leave a party...then had an anxiety attack. Very close to going to the emergency room. Still feel uneasy....what's wrong with me....I feel like I'm loosing it....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
okay,

I had a scrambled egg and chicken sausage for breakfast, beans and rice this evenning, some soy ice cream...then had the runs big time. Got dizzy, had to leave a party...then had an anxiety attack. Very close to going to the emergency room. Still feel uneasy....what's wrong with me....I feel like I'm loosing it....

Do you know for sure that the sausage and the beans and rice are gluten free? At the party did you drink anything?

Do you know for sure that the sausage and the beans and rice are gluten free? At the party did you drink anything?

Know, I assumed they were. No...no alcohol just some sprite. I know that my affects when being glutenned are far more worse than at the beginning. This really scared me though. Do you ever feel really dizzy...

Bettek Newbie

I have dizzy spells frequently. I never thought it was related to my diet, but perhaps it is!!! I have been gluten free for x 3 weeks and finding out everything has gluten in it on the market. Hope you feel better.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Last time I got glutened, I was very dizzy and even got mentally confused to the point where I could not understand what was being said to me. My husband sat me down and I drank 5 bottles of Propel. Apparently I was very dehydrated, yet I did not have bad d, only one time in fact. I think low blood sugar may have contributed to mine, but I do not necessarily think I have hypoglycemia, I think it was just in combination with the gluten and dehydration. Maybe your Sprite was part of the problem.

When I had my gluten challenge, I was often so dizzy I could not drive.

Last time I got glutened, I was very dizzy and even got mentally confused to the point where I could not understand what was being said to me. My husband sat me down and I drank 5 bottles of Propel. Apparently I was very dehydrated, yet I did not have bad d, only one time in fact. I think low blood sugar may have contributed to mine, but I do not necessarily think I have hypoglycemia, I think it was just in combination with the gluten and dehydration. Maybe your Sprite was part of the problem.

When I had my gluten challenge, I was often so dizzy I could not drive.

Yeah....my boyfriend was asking me questions but I couldn't answer them. The more that people were asking me if I was okay, the dizzier I got...you cana tell by this reply...I'm still not quite right. I'm fumbling around. I get dehydrated alot too. What's up with that situation. I never had a problem with that before and now. Geez...As soon as they gave me some juice I started feeling better though. Thanks for listening to me ramble yall. This life style change is extremely challenging and nobody around me understands...I live in Southeast Texas...nobody really even know about Celiac. Hell, my gastro doctor doesn't even know that much about it. When diagnosed he just gave me a list of what not to eat and send my on my way. This place is really all I got right now.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I was just telling my husband today that it would have taken me years to figure out all I've learned from this website. I'm so thankful for this technology so we can meet!! I have never met another celiac face-to-face, so I think it's uncommon everywhere.

The time I mentioned above, I spent two days laying around, then another two days where I really didn't feel very good, but was at least functioning. So, it may take some time to feel better. When I get really dehydrated, water is not enough, which is why I carry Propel in my car so I always have it. If I'm at home, I'll just pour a little juice in my water.

I got a touch of dehydration yesterday. It was near 90 degrees, and I recognized the symptoms. I got into the air conditioning and started drinking Propel (anything with electrolytes would work, I like Propel because it's not as sugary as others). I was not glutened yesterday. Interesting now that I think of it ... I guess I get this way from glutening since that makes me dehydrated, and from the heat for the same reason.

I've often wondered if it's better to go to the hospital when dizzy and incoherent. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Carla

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I was just telling my husband today that it would have taken me years to figure out all I've learned from this website. I'm so thankful for this technology so we can meet!! I have never met another celiac face-to-face, so I think it's uncommon everywhere.

The time I mentioned above, I spent two days laying around, then another two days where I really didn't feel very good, but was at least functioning. So, it may take some time to feel better. When I get really dehydrated, water is not enough, which is why I carry Propel in my car so I always have it. If I'm at home, I'll just pour a little juice in my water.

I got a touch of dehydration yesterday. It was near 90 degrees, and I recognized the symptoms. I got into the air conditioning and started drinking Propel (anything with electrolytes would work, I like Propel because it's not as sugary as others). I was not glutened yesterday. Interesting now that I think of it ... I guess I get this way from glutening since that makes me dehydrated, and from the heat for the same reason.

I've often wondered if it's better to go to the hospital when dizzy and incoherent. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Carla

Propel...hum...I've always just drank straight bottled spring water. I'm definately going to start on that. Anything to help me feel better...thanks

CarlaB Enthusiast

Normally, I drink regular filtered water. But, when I get feeling bad, it's just not enough. I prefer regular water and switch back to it when I feel better.

Gatorade or Pedialyte would also work.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I would suspect the chicken sausage or the red beans and rice if they were not made from scratch. I made something from Zatarans that wasn't the usual jambolya mix (it's safe, I think) last Sat and got glutened way big time. Even missed a day of work. I never thought of Propel - I'll have to get some to see if it helps with my recovery. All I can say is thankfully I've been taking L-glutanmine pretty regularly. I think it really helped with my recovery - in four days my energy level was almost back to normal and I didn't have the extreme depression and irritability I normally get. Of course, my husband is understanding the celiac more and was extremely nice to me over the weekend :)

Annette

CarlaB Enthusiast

A post from our Cincinnati group said that her husband feels better eating grapes when he gets glutened. Maybe because of their water content and sugar level. Interesting idea, I think I'll start keeping some in my freezer!

natalunia Rookie

Celia, I am in Southeast Texas as well, Beaumont in fact. Where are you?

The last time I got glutened (last week) I came home from work and crashed in bed for 3 hours because I felt so disoriented.

If you are in the Beaumont area, I'd love to have a buddy for shopping, etc.

Natalie

Celia, I am in Southeast Texas as well, Beaumont in fact. Where are you?

The last time I got glutened (last week) I came home from work and crashed in bed for 3 hours because I felt so disoriented.

If you are in the Beaumont area, I'd love to have a buddy for shopping, etc.

Natalie

I'm from Port Neches. Sure....I go to Basic Foods at least three times a week...

natalunia Rookie

I teach in Port Neches... want to move there but hubby is not hip on that idea yet.

I have found Kroger in Beaumont on Dowlen has a good gluten free selection. I have asked them to start carrying Kinnikinnick breads and stuff. That was 2 weeks ago, so I don't think they would have them in stock yet.

We eat at Carlito's in Beaumont on a regular basis and I have yet to be glutened there, so I think they are safe.

I was beginning to think I was the only gluten intolerant/celiac person in Southeast Texas.... :P

I bought my propel today and I've started on one 33 oz bottle of it. Thanks for the tip again. Still in recover mode. I dread going to work tomorrow. I have a high pressure job as a deputy clerk. Lawdy...help me make it thru tomorrow....lol

Thanks everyone for all your posts...

rachellek Rookie

Hi Celia, I understand what you're going through, the exact thing happens to me. I told a friend yesterday that when this happens I feel like a diabetic who just ate a huge chocolate bar and has no insulin to inject myself. Does anyone think there will ever be an antedote like insulin that we could inject to get us through? An Celia, had you gone to emergency, what would they have done for you besides hydration? Do you ever feel like they (doctors) think you're crazy?

I'm so thankful for this site. I was made to feel that I was the only celiac in the world to have neurological symptoms. I'm so glad I'm not alone, you aren't either (((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

RAchelleK

J-DUB Newbie

You should try eating some pear halves that come in the can. Ultimately the pear juice soothes my stomach when I get glutened. It works wonders for me. Has anybody else tried pear juice?

You should try eating some pear halves that come in the can. Ultimately the pear juice soothes my stomach when I get glutened. It works wonders for me. Has anybody else tried pear juice?

pear halves. hum...interesting...I'll have to try that.

elye Community Regular

I've been a known celiac for eight months, and a type one diabetic for thirty-three years. I've become something of an unwilling expert :( on blood sugars, and through the years I've had this suspicion confirmed regularly: hypoglycemia is a very underdiagnosed condition, much like celiac. Its symptoms often suggest other things, and North American GPs seem to have always been pretty out to lunch on blood sugar issues. The symptoms you have described--dizziness, confusion, heart racing--are my exact symptoms when I am having an insulin reaction (low blood sugar). I would suspect that before accidental glutening. Hypoglycemia is easy to test for and once you have a handle on it, it gets easier to cope with. Hope this helps! :)

penguin Community Regular

I've been a reactive hypoglycemic for 10 years or so, and when I get glutened, my blood sugar goes haywire. Definitely look into that!

bluejeangirl Contributor
Know, I assumed they were. No...no alcohol just some sprite. I know that my affects when being glutenned are far more worse than at the beginning. This really scared me though. Do you ever feel really dizzy...

Being dizzy can happen just because your heart is racing. Its like a panic attack. I would suspect the sausage had MSG in it. That would make my heart race because I'm very sensitive to it. It's also common to alot of celiacs. Another warning, MSG is often hidden as an ingredient under different names. Its frustrating. I rarely find sausage that I don't react to, so I just make my own. If you have a food diary begin to notice if you have this symptom to other foods and read labels for possible MSG offenders. I hope your feeling better.

Gail

CarlaB Enthusiast

I think you may be right, that it's related to hypoglycemia. The time I had the dizziness and confusion was after being glutened, but I also had shared a pint of Haagen Dazs with my hubby the night before. The combination of the two is what seemed to get me. I don't usually have a problem with hypoglycemia, but certainly do when glutened. I also have a problem with dehydration, constantly.

I think you may be right, that it's related to hypoglycemia. The time I had the dizziness and confusion was after being glutened, but I also had shared a pint of Haagen Dazs with my hubby the night before. The combination of the two is what seemed to get me. I don't usually have a problem with hypoglycemia, but certainly do when glutened. I also have a problem with dehydration, constantly.

Well,

I drank my 32 oz of propel water along with 16 more ounces of regular water and today I'm almost at 100 percent. The dehydration thing is getting under control. The gluten thing...I have to admit...I was HARD HIT. That's just going to have to run it's course I guess. My head still feels funny and my legs are weak. Boy...Gluten is bad...yuck....poison....ect lololol

Thanks again yall...Celia

CarlaB Enthusiast

Glad you're feeling better.

Mabc Apprentice

I just wanted to throw in another possibility. If I drink anything with Nutrasweet in it my brain goes haywire and dizzy. I wonder if the Sprite was sugarfree.

I also have hypoglycemia and that definitely sounds like a possibility to me. Maybe it was more than one thing that zapped you.

I'm glad you're doing better. I know how frightening that is!!! I hate it when those out of control symptoms come rushing at me and I don't even know what I did!

Melodi

Archived