• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Kiki2

Wheat Free And Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Quick Q... If it says Gluten free it means wheat free right....but if it says wheat free it doesnt mean its gluten free? If some one could help out that would be great...

Guest schmenge
Quick Q... If it says Gluten free it means wheat free right....but if it says wheat free it doesnt mean its gluten free? If some one could help out that would be great...

That sounds correct to me. "Gluten free" would be free of wheat, barley and rye. Whereas "wheat free" could still contain barely or rye.

Not so in the Uk!

Gluten free can still contain up to 200parts per million (codex)-so a no no for any allergic to wheat.

<_< ,but hey,you're in the States so ignore me!! :)

yeah, it's kinda one of those a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square type of things.

anyway gluten free should be wheat free in the US (for now, I have heard rumblings otherwise)

but wheat free can still have gluten (although I suspect I am repeating and should have read the thred)

Yes, if it says gluten free you are usually good but check the label anyways because that is a good habit to be getting into and just make sure there is not something obvious on there that would contain gluten. If it says wheat free then it probably has rye, barley, or oats in it so definitely check that label good.

Not to confuse the issue, but some companies, such as Arrowhead Mills, will put a "wheat-free" label on the box even if the product does not contain any gluten ingredients. They chose the wheat-free label over the gluten-free label because that particular batch was not tested for gluten.

I have heard reports, but not seen first hand, that some products labeld gluten-free contain oats. Until we have a defintion of gluten-free here in America, I dont think you can trust lable "gluten-free" unless its from a known brand thats good about it (ie Enjoylife, Nestle, and otherss)