• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Bettek

Possible Celiac Dx A Fluke?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! Is it poosible that I may not have cdeliac dx? My glaidin iga (I think that what it is called) is positive, but I only have constipation. Is it possible this was a fluke positive test or am I kidding myself?

Replies greatly appreciated.

Bette

From "Living Gluten-Free For Dummies":

AGA-IgA: the antigliadin tests are less specific for celiac disease, and these antibodies sometimes show up in other diseases (including gluten sensitivity). AGA-IgA is useful when testing young children ... it is also helpful for monitoring compliance.

AGA-IgG: another antigliadin test is useful in detecting sensitivity or leaky gut syndrome."

The one that appears to be best for determining Celiac is the tTG-IgA and the EMA-IgA. If those are positive, it is basically certain you have Celiac.

But, that said, I must say that I've only had bloating/constipation for symptoms most of my life, with some others that I had not connected like frequent canker sores, fatigue, and itching.

Good luck to you!

Guest jhmom

If you feel better after going on a gluten free diet, then I would say you have gluten sensitivity / celiac, no matter what the tests showed. :)

It is hard to tell if I feel better because I started armour for hypothyroid the same time I went gluten free. I do feel better. I think I will retest as well. Thankyou!

Bette

Did your constipation improve? The thyroid medicine wouldn't help your bowels.

I had constipation, gas, bloating with occasional diarrhea all my life, along with terrible joint, muscle and back pain, headaches (migraines once a month), rashes, fatigue and a million other lesser known celiac disease symptoms. They all improved on the gluten-free diet (and after three months had to cut out a lot of other food, because other intolerances showed up once my bowel started working again).

How will you retest for celiac disease? Once you're gluten-free, your tests will come out false negative. Meaning, if you then believe the tests and go back on gluten, you will do yourself more damage if you have celiac disease.