• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jennyj

Knee And Hip Pain

Rate this topic

The last three nights I have had severe knee and hip pain. It is on the right side of my body. I have been taking Tylenol Arthritis durning the day but I take Tylenol PM to sleep but can't take both. If I take the PM I can't sleep for the pain, if I take the Arthritis I can't sleep well. Help!!! Anyone else have this problem?

Why not just take 1-2 benadryls? The active ingredient in Tylenol PM that makes you sleepy is diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine is just plain old Benadryl.

Can I still take the Tylenol Arthritis?? :unsure:

I like to take aleve, for my knee and hip pain. It looks to be gluten free and it lasts for 12 hours. I got tired of popping tylenol every 4 hours.

*not a sales rep for aleve

jennyj, what I meant was do not take the Tylenol PM... Just take the Tylenol Arthritis, then when you need to sleep, take 1-2 benadryl (no Tylenol PM) 30 minutes before you want to sleep. That way you won't be overdosing on Tylenol, but will get the same benefit as the Tylenol PM gave you in terms of sleep.

jennyj, what I meant was do not take the Tylenol PM... Just take the Tylenol Arthritis, then when you need to sleep, take 1-2 benadryl (no Tylenol PM) 30 minutes before you want to sleep. That way you won't be overdosing on Tylenol, but will get the same benefit as the Tylenol PM gave you in terms of sleep.

Thank you for your help. I am going to try it tonight so I can get some sleep.

I used to have terrible knee pain and pain in my thumbs (weird, huh?). I take msm, glucosamine, and chondroitin as supplements because they are for your joints. As long as I take them, I'm fine. You'd still need painkillers for immediate relief.

I think in my case it was a candida problem because it happened right after 21 days on antibiotics. Being gluten-free helps, which could also be because I'm not feeding the candida. It's a delicate balance, isn't it?

I haven't experienced knee or other joint pain (yet!), but I've had some serious dental and head pain over the last couple of years, and the one painkiller that was incredibly effective was Advil extra strength gel caps. They are in a class by themselves, I tell ya. They were the only med that worked...and they worked quickly. My brother-in law has since had very bad arthritic hip pain, and was on valium, then codeine, and finally another major prescription painkiller, all failing to take the pain away. I gave him the last of my gel caps, and he called me that evening, barely able to speak. He was so astounded at how quickly and effectively the Advil worked. I know it seems hard to believe, an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory working this well, and I still can't understand it. But try it! And make sure it's the GEL caps, not the normal capsules.

I haven't experienced knee or other joint pain (yet!), but I've had some serious dental and head pain over the last couple of years, and the one painkiller that was incredibly effective was Advil extra strength gel caps. They are in a class by themselves, I tell ya. They were the only med that worked...and they worked quickly. My brother-in law has since had very bad arthritic hip pain, and was on valium, then codeine, and finally another major prescription painkiller, all failing to take the pain away. I gave him the last of my gel caps, and he called me that evening, barely able to speak. He was so astounded at how quickly and effectively the Advil worked. I know it seems hard to believe, an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory working this well, and I still can't understand it. But try it! And make sure it's the GEL caps, not the normal capsules.

Look for sleep aids that contain doxlamine succinate. It is the strongest over the counter sleep aid you can buy and literally knocks the heck out of you. Don't take a whole one, at least to start out. I've taken

Xanax and this stuff actually works better.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I slept all night last night. I took the Tylenol Arthritis about 9 pm and a Benadryl about 10 pm. I went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at 6:30. Thanks for the advice.

My knees are generally OK, but my hips, ankles, and hands hurt all the time they get worse when I get glutened, and sometimes they flare up along with my lower back for no known reason. I am suspecting I have RA but don't know for sure. The symptoms fit, and the treatment my Dr is giving me fits. I am sure I've been tested, but I cannot recall what the results were and they may not have been accurate so early on.

Anyhow, everything I use requires an RX: Relafen (NSAID) twice per day, and Vicoden for pain every 4 hours.

Without that I don't think I could work. Even with that work gets tough sometimes.

Just wanted to add what finally worked for me, although it of course does not apply to all. I got a great deal of joint and muscle pain relief when I went gluten-free but was never totally pain free until I realized I was also reacting to the nightshade family. This was discovered after I realized every time my DS came home for a weekend I would make chili or beef stew or a pasta sauce. I live alone so don't make these big batch items any other time. I would be in misery every time he came home for at least a week. After realizing this I did an actual challenge with the nightshades, (potatos, tomatoes, peppers - hate eggplant). I found I can have a slice of tomato or a small serving of potatoes but anything more than that or if I eat them daily I can barely move. It was for me the final link to a pain free life.

My knees are generally OK, but my hips, ankles, and hands hurt all the time they get worse when I get glutened, and sometimes they flare up along with my lower back for no known reason. I am suspecting I have RA but don't know for sure. The symptoms fit, and the treatment my Dr is giving me fits. I am sure I've been tested, but I cannot recall what the results were and they may not have been accurate so early on.

Anyhow, everything I use requires an RX: Relafen (NSAID) twice per day, and Vicoden for pain every 4 hours.

Without that I don't think I could work. Even with that work gets tough sometimes.

I saw your post and it made me think of myself and my mom, both with multiple food intolerances that cause arthritic pain. My mom has been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus, before, but the diagnoses don't seem to stick. What sticks is that she gets arthritic symptoms from many foods.

I am "lucky" in that my mouth symptoms preceed my arthritis symptoms, so that I have an early warning that I did something wrong with my diet.

Perhaps if you were to look at other foods, your joints might improve. Mine have. Corn was a BIGGIE for me!