This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Natural Occuring Glutamates

Lister

Lister Rising Star

ok so i went out to red robin last night and they brang me there gluten-free menu, now for the seasoning it says May Contain Natural Occuring Glutamates i had the seasoning anyways and it does not seem to have a effect on me but i was just wondering what that meens?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teankerbell Apprentice

I didn't take a chance when I ate there. I ordered the burger plain with no seasoning and found them to be very accomodating.

tarnalberry Community Regular

glutamates != gluten

it's fine.

teankerbell Apprentice

Ok- I looked it up on Whole Foods website and this is what they say:

What is "glutamate"?

Glutamate is derived from glutamic acid, a major building block for proteins. It is found naturally in our bodies and in protein-containing foods, such as cheese, milk, meat, peas, and mushrooms. MSG is one of several types of glutamate. When glutamate is released during breakdown of the protein molecule, "free glutamate" is formed. These substances can be added to food to enhance its flavor and are the focus of much of the concern about glutamate. It is only in this free form that glutamate can enhance a food's flavor.

Some foods, such as ripe tomatoes and Parmesan cheese, contain high levels of naturally occuring free glutamate. The flavor enhancing effect of hydrolyzed protein products, including soy sauce, is due to the presence of free glutamate.

I would venture to guess that the seasoning they use on the burgers contains MSG. Something I stay away from.

Lister Rising Star

also i know this is completly unrelated but does anyone know how brain fog really works? i meen i will have 1 day perfectly normel next day brain fog all day next day perfectly normel next day perfectly normel half the day and brain fog the other half, i know its not gluten related so im trying to figure it out

• 6 years later...
nobodyzsukey Newbie

also i know this is completly unrelated but does anyone know how brain fog really works? i meen i will have 1 day perfectly normel next day brain fog all day next day perfectly normel next day perfectly normel half the day and brain fog the other half, i know its not gluten related so im trying to figure it out

The term "brain fog" is sometimes used when talking about Fibromyalgia symptoms. Do you have Fibromyalgia? If so, I would just like to say that I have it and I also have Celiac Disease and am a sensitive to cross-contamination, but have never seen or heard that one has anything to do with the other. Since this is only my own opinion from limited experience, take with a grain of salt.

If you do have Fibromyalgia, I would highly recommend a support board dealing with that to help you deal with the brain fog you are suffering from.

My best,

nobodyzsukey

psawyer Proficient

This topic is more than six years old. Information may be out of date, and the original participants may be long gone from here.

Glutamates were not gluten then, are still are not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

The OP hasn't been on this site since 2007.

Archived