• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Mom2six

An Update On My Dd

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update you all on dd (18 months). SHe had testing 3 weeks ago-- came back inconclusive for Celiac but she was Zinc deficient. After the blood test we went gluten-free and in 4 days her diaper rash was gone, her D was gone, and in 2 weeks she was walking. WooHOO! Anyway, we went back to the Dr. and in those three weeks she gained 1.25 lbs. IN THREE WEEKS!!!! Double WOO HOO! The GI was thrilled, told me to stick with what we were doing and we would worry about a Dx later. He said he didn't want to mess things up while she was in such a critical stage of development since she appeared to be thriving for the first time in a year and a half. I was pleased at his take on things. Just thought you might want to hear. Thanks for the support.

That is so GREAT. A doctor who cared enough for the well fare of a child, then an official diagnosis. Keep up the good work. I am so happy for all of you. :)

Guest nini

That's so great! If she's imprving then you KNOW the problem is gluten... if the Dr.s ever try to make you do a gluten challenge with her to get an official dx, I would seriously question it. But that's just me.

That's excellent! And it sounds like you have a gem of a doctor to boot....how awesome. I hope she continues to thrive and gain, it is really a miracle to watch. I feel like we didn't even get to know our daughter until we put her on the diet, and her little personality is still blossoming. Keep up the good work!

I agree with nini. Couldn't the dr give a gluten intolerance dx or something based on diet results? I was dx'd via diet alone and that's been fine for all of my drs since. Anyhow, I'm so happy she's doing better.

Annette

That's fabulous, I am so happy for you! And I agree with Nini, too, don't EVER do a gluten challenge with her, which will set her back and make her ill again, and who needs it?

Guest nini

yeah, my daughter's chart says "gluten intolerance" I will never ever ever challenge her with gluten as even accidental ingestion makes her very ill. I have had no problems with school so far with the gluten intolerant dx...

That is awesome that she is improving so quickly!! :)

I agree with the others....don't know that I would do the gluten challenge. I don't have an official DX either, but I don't care. I know that gluten makes me sick, that is enough for me. I tested the waters by eating 1 triscuit and was sick. My kids ped had wanted me to have an official dx before testing my kids. I told him my experience with the triscuit and has now at least tested my son. We haven't tested DD yet b/c she is 3 and doesn't show any symptoms. If DS comes back positive, she will be tested.

That's super!! How nice is it that you have the support of your ped gi??!! :) After being off gluten for just a few days, my 3 year old showed major signs of improvement, too. Isn't it the best when you finally figure out the answer!!??

--Kristy :)

Guest momx3

That is awesome! Isn't it amazing to see the difference? My 14 mo old has been gluten free for a few weeks now, no official diagnosis. He is suddenly a chubby, happy baby! His D & skin have cleared up, no more clinginess, you can tell he just feels better. The turn-around is instant, and nothing short of miraculous. Good luck, sounds like you have a great doc, too! :D

Thats great news for you. An official diagnosis is not a great experience for a young child. My son went through a CAT scan, upper GI, x-rays, bloodwork then an edoscopy/biopsy before his diagnosis. It broke my heart each time we had to subject him to another test, but we were floundering. He is now @ 4 weeks gluten free and is doing amazing. Don't mess with success.