This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wedding Cake

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I am in a wedding this Saturday. The bride is a good friend of mine. She has been going out of her way to be sure that I will have "safe" food to eat at rehearsal and the reception. (I know, a great friend huh!!). She was especially freaking out about the cake, so I told her I would just bake one. I have a wonderful recipe that Annalise Roberts created for my College Graduation cake. Soooo I baked the cake, froze it, and now am in the process of decorating it.

I am So excited because it is turning out beautiful!! I am so excited that I can "do this" and make it look pretty!!

I made white buttercream frosting. Flavored it with lemon. Frosted the entire cake with the white/ivory frosting. Then put clear sugar sprinkles (wilton) ontop of the entire cake. I then piped around the edge of the top of the cake. Right now it is in the freezer so that frosting will set up before I pipe the bottom part. I am also thinking of putting the clear shiny sprinkles around the bottom edge of the cake.

I am just so proud of myself and excited so I had to share!!

-Jessica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

congrats! sounds like a big undertaking, and I'm glad it's coming out so well! :-)

jenvan Collaborator

sounds great--you should post a pic! you might get a few orders :)

wolfie Enthusiast

That sounds great!!!! :)

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree--if you can post a picture, I'd love to see it! It sounds great :)

Lauren M Explorer

Yay I want to see a pic too! I love buttercream frosting, sounds pretty AND delicious!

- Lauren

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Sounds good to me too! Please post a pic of it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

oh, yum!

I am starting a cake decorating class in July, so that I can make pretty cakes for my girls birthdays (which are in May and July, so not this year!)

here is the one I made for my daughter last year, in case you are wondering, I just piped the doggy (can't say his name) on there with the only tip I had, copied from a pic I "found" on the internet.

jerseyangel Proficient

Very nice! :)

I will try to take some pics. I don't have a digital so It might be a while until I can post them ( use a roll of film at the wedding this weekend).

I had a bunch of frosting left over, and couldn't see it going to waste so I baked another cake!! ha I made this one into a mini wedding cake, like the fancy ones you see on TV. I did two tiny layers. Frosted them, used the shiny sprinkles to make it have "bling". Then I piped around the layers....it is pretty!

I had so much fun making the cakes today...........maybe I should be a gluten free baker instead of a teacher! ha

I'll get a picture as soon as I can :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest greengirl

I would love to see a picture of the cake. What is the name of it in the cookbook?

I always made fantastic cakes for birthdays, and now I feel that that joy has sort of been taken from me. In fact, my good friend's wedding is in 10 days and she had asked me to bake a coconut layer cake that is (was) a favorite of ours. She is also having a professional wedding cake, but since it's a garden wedding she wants to have "homey" desserts, as well.

Since I've gone gluten free, she hasn't mentioned me baking the cake, but I'm wondering if I should bake it anyway - I am concerned about being around all that flour. I don't have any in my house so I'd have to bake it at my mom's. Or should I attempt a gluten free version, if possible? Does Annalise Roberts have any coconut cakes in her book?

I suppose I should ask my friend what she wants me to do, but I'm sure she doesn't realize that I'm afraid to bake the gluten cake. I'd hate to get sick for her wedding. What do you guys think?

Christine

GlutenFreeGirlie Rookie

I think you should definately ask her before baking a gluten-free cake- as well as let her know that you don't want to bake a gluten cake. Brides can be very particular when you least expect it- even when you know them well. I would ask first and remind her (if she forgot or doesn't know) that you are now gluten-free- she will likely feel good that you asked. Plus, if you made this cake gluten-free, you would be able to have cake too! :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

Jessica, your cakes sure sound awfully nice!

Smunkeemom, I love that 'doggy' cake, cute! Why can't you say the name?

Christine, she may have forgotten, it would definitely be best to check with your friend. But I can't imagine her having a problem with a gluten free cake, especially if it will be the only cake you will be able to eat at the wedding.

Her book is called Gluten Free Baking Classics. AND she has an amazing coconut cake recipe in the book. I just made it last weekend for my family. They loved it (they are not gluten-free).

You can get her book on amazon .com for quite a bit less than the publishers listed price. Open Original Shared Link

You might just mention to your friend that you would love to help her out by making that special coconut cake you both love so much, and if YOU made it you could even make it gluten free so you could enjoy her special day. Hopefully making it sound so positive would help her understand you want to help and want to enjoy her day with her. If she says no, then bake it for yourself and take a slice to the wedding with you so you don't feel left out. ;)

Let me know what you think of the coconut cake, I LOVED it!

I would love to see a picture of the cake. What is the name of it in the cookbook?

I always made fantastic cakes for birthdays, and now I feel that that joy has sort of been taken from me. In fact, my good friend's wedding is in 10 days and she had asked me to bake a coconut layer cake that is (was) a favorite of ours. She is also having a professional wedding cake, but since it's a garden wedding she wants to have "homey" desserts, as well.

Since I've gone gluten free, she hasn't mentioned me baking the cake, but I'm wondering if I should bake it anyway - I am concerned about being around all that flour. I don't have any in my house so I'd have to bake it at my mom's. Or should I attempt a gluten free version, if possible? Does Annalise Roberts have any coconut cakes in her book?

I suppose I should ask my friend what she wants me to do, but I'm sure she doesn't realize that I'm afraid to bake the gluten cake. I'd hate to get sick for her wedding. What do you guys think?

Christine

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Smunkeemom, I love that 'doggy' cake, cute! Why can't you say the name?

oh, he's a copywritten (is that the proper spelling/tense?!) character and when I found his pic on the internet there was this big scary warning about how if you use him without permission that they will fine you $$, so that's notOpen Original Shared Link, it's uh.........Rupert, yeah, Rupert. :ph34r:

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

That is too funny... but that cake looked great. The mysterious "Rupert"

Guest greengirl
Her book is called Gluten Free Baking Classics. AND she has an amazing coconut cake recipe in the book. I just made it last weekend for my family. They loved it (they are not gluten-free).

\

Thanks, Jessica! I will order the book and give it a try! I'm sure my friend won't object to it being gluten-free (of course I'll ask her first, though!) as long as it tastes good! I just didn't want to bring a "cardboard" cake to serve on her special day and I really, really didn't want to make the flour version!

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Christine

Cheri A Contributor

Congrats!! Would love to see a pic too someday!

I am waiting for the first cake decorating class to come around at Michaels so I can learn to make pretty cakes!

Do you think that the recipes in that book would sub well w/sorghum flour instead of brown rice?

:D at Rupert! Very cute cake!!

Let us know how that coconut cake comes out!!

penguin Community Regular

I thought "Rupert" was a girl doggy? Isn't it Ruperta? :D

You did an awesome job, though!

I went to all of the trouble to bake that wonderful beautiful cake......lugged it to the wedding.....sat it in a safe place so no one would contaminate it......then got busy dancing and talking and totally forgot I brought cake! ha Soooo lugged it back home at the end of the night and had myself a big piece! ha I'm such a dork!

Just a "fun" piece of info.....the wedding cake (gluten filled cake) was a disaster. I think the baker dropped the cake!! It was like the leaning tower of Piaza (pizza? sp) Frosting was all messed up, I felt SO bad for the bride! She took it well she said "if this is the worst thing that happens today then we are doing well " :)

wolfie Enthusiast

Oh no.....you forgot about it? LOL!! That is something that I would do.

I can't believe the bride's cake was messed up!!! WOW!!!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

You can get her book on amazon .com for quite a bit less than the publishers listed price. Open Original Shared Link

You might just mention to your friend that you would love to help her out by making that special coconut cake you both love so much, and if YOU made it you could even make it gluten free so you could enjoy her special day. Hopefully making it sound so positive would help her understand you want to help and want to enjoy her day with her. If she says no, then bake it for yourself and take a slice to the wedding with you so you don't feel left out. ;)

Let me know what you think of the coconut cake, I LOVED it!

OMG, so I hadn't even read this thread and just now decided to click on it. The irony is, I just made the coconut cake yesterday!!!! It's AMAZING!!! For anyone that has not bought this book I highly reccomend it. First off, Annalise definately writes these recipes for beginners. She gives you tips of how to reheat stuff, store it, etc. No guess work. And of the 2 recipes I have tried, this cake and the bread, the recipes are incredible!

If you only buy 1 gluten-free cookbook, this is definately the one.

Ummm, should I mention I just had coconut cake for breakfast ;)

Rusla Enthusiast

You may have a whole new business selling gluten-free wedding cakes.

Guest greengirl
OMG, so I hadn't even read this thread and just now decided to click on it. The irony is, I just made the coconut cake yesterday!!!! It's AMAZING!!! For anyone that has not bought this book I highly reccomend it. First off, Annalise definately writes these recipes for beginners. She gives you tips of how to reheat stuff, store it, etc. No guess work. And of the 2 recipes I have tried, this cake and the bread, the recipes are incredible!

If you only buy 1 gluten-free cookbook, this is definately the one.

Ummm, should I mention I just had coconut cake for breakfast ;)

I'm so glad the coconut cake turned out for you, too! What a great coincidence that two of you made this cake the week I was needing a coconut cake for a wedding!! My cookbook should arrive tomorrow - I can't wait to get started.

And Jessica - too bad you didn't get all the praise you deserve at the wedding for your beautiful and delicious cake, but the upside is MORE FOR YOU!!

Christine

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I'm so glad the coconut cake turned out for you, too! What a great coincidence that two of you made this cake the week I was needing a coconut cake for a wedding!! My cookbook should arrive tomorrow - I can't wait to get started.

And Jessica - too bad you didn't get all the praise you deserve at the wedding for your beautiful and delicious cake, but the upside is MORE FOR YOU!!

Christine

Christine you should order the Authentic Foods Brown Rice Flour. Annalise reccomends using this one and I did. I remember her saying that she tried like every rice flour out there and this one gave the best taste and results. I have to say I would agree.

Archived