• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I just bought the Pacific Food brand Organic French Onion soup (in the cardboard container) and it claims that it is Gluten Free. I am always extra careful so I went home and checked on the Pacific Foods website and it says that it is Gluten Free but not Wheat Free. Is this even possible? Has anyone had any problems with this brand before? I called the customer service department and emailed them but I still have not heard back from them. Any information would be welcomed!

I just bought the Pacific Food brand Organic French Onion soup (in the cardboard container) and it claims that it is Gluten Free. I am always extra careful so I went home and checked on the Pacific Foods website and it says that it is Gluten Free but not Wheat Free. Is this even possible? Has anyone had any problems with this brand before? I called the customer service department and emailed them but I still have not heard back from them. Any information would be welcomed!

Hi Kaciemarie--welcome to the board!

I just looked the soup up on the website, and it is indeed gluten-free.

http://www.pacificfoods.com/products-soups.php

If a product is gluten-free, it does not always say wheat free in addition. Gluten free automaticaly means wheat free. (not to be confusing, but wheat free does not always mean gluten-free--the product could still contain barley or rye)

Thanks!!!

I looked in the nutritional information section and this is what it said :

Ingredients: Filtered water, organic onions, natural sauteed onion concentrate (onions, salt, butter, onion powder, yeast extract, natural flavor), white wine concentrate, organic flavor (organic onion flavoring, organic sunflower oil), organic cane sweetener, sea salt, autolyzed yeast extract, organic garlic powder, carrageenan. Contains milk and wheat.

What do you think?

Thanks!!!

I looked in the nutritional information section and this is what it said :

Ingredients: Filtered water, organic onions, natural sauteed onion concentrate (onions, salt, butter, onion powder, yeast extract, natural flavor), white wine concentrate, organic flavor (organic onion flavoring, organic sunflower oil), organic cane sweetener, sea salt, autolyzed yeast extract, organic garlic powder, carrageenan. Contains milk and wheat.

What do you think?

Do not eat it until this is cleared up!!! I do see what you mean--the website claims it is gluten-free, but in the nutrition section, it says it contains wheat. You do need to call them and talk to someone before you eat this. I'd be interested to know what they say.

I just saw it in the grocery store and it said "Gluten-Free" right on the package. Don't know if that helps or not, I didn't buy it b/c I'm not big on onion soup.

- Lauren

I have seen that mistake on another food item from another company. In that case, it was a misprint. I think this will come up as the same problem since wheat is not an ingredient and it says gluten-free.

Email back from Pacific Foods:

The wheat in the French Onion soup is called Vitacel. The gluten level in this wheat fiber falls below .10ppm, which is low enough for us to label this as gluten free. Attached is some information on this wheat fiber. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

what do you guys think? safe???

Email back from Pacific Foods:

The wheat in the French Onion soup is called Vitacel. The gluten level in this wheat fiber falls below .10ppm, which is low enough for us to label this as gluten free. Attached is some information on this wheat fiber. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

what do you guys think? safe???

Wow--that's a new one to me! Hopefully someone here is familiar with that. Personally, I would not eat it. I'm super sensitive, and just would not take the chance. Sorry I could not have been more help! :)

Well now I'm hesitant to eat it, but if you try it let us know how it is. I bought it also and love french onion soup. I used to love the Campbell one in the can.

You were a help to me! My boyfriend and I both have Celiac Disease (I know weird!) and we are both very sensitive so I am probably not going to eat this. Anyways, this is what his attached document said :

"Gluten-Free

According to the Codex Standard „Codex Stan 118“ of the Codex Alimentarius Commission of

1983 as well as the „Draft Revised Standard for Gluten-Free Foods“ of the Codex Commitee of

2000 foodstuffs can be labelled as „gluten-free“, if they do not exceed a gluten level of 20 mg/

kg.

VITACEL® Wheat Fibres produced by J. Rettenmaier & Söhne demonstrably fall below a

gluten level of 10 mg/ kg.

On the basis of these particulars we recommend a labelling as „Wheat Fibre (gluten-free).“

I've never heard of this before!!

You were a help to me! My boyfriend and I both have Celiac Disease

How about that! Both of you are Celiac--at least you both know and understand what the other is going through! Well, I'm glad you found us here--feel free to post anytime--it was nice to "meet" you :D

Thanks! It was nice to "meet" all of you too! I have a feeling I will be on here a lot more now. This is such a great way to interact with other Celiacs!! Having a boyfriend that has Celiac disease too makes things a lot easier!!!

On the soup:

I don't think we are going to eat it tonight! It seems kind of risky to me! If my boyfriend decides to take a chance I will let you know if he had a reaction!

I don't know if it is any of their other products. It makes me nervous though because they seem like a company who understands what Gluten Free means and they still put this Wheat Fiber in their products and call it gluten free. I don't know what to do about buying their other products. I also have been using their Low Fat Rice Milk too! I wonder if it is safe! AHHHH I'm so confused!

Thanks Chelsea--that was interesting. I don't see why they can't use another binding agent in a supposedly gluten-free food. It makes no sense to me :blink:

You'd think they could use chicory inulin or something instead if they wanted a highly modified, high fiber starch. Chicory is definitely gluten-free.

Weirdness... I use their broths and other soups...never tried the french onion. Seems like the products that contain the vitacel are listed as having wheat ingredients at the end of the statement, like the french onion did. Since that is the labeling law now. I woudn't try that particular soup either. ...But I will stick with the others for now.