This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Hiccups

Katie O'Rourke

Katie O'Rourke Rookie

Hi. I was just generally wondering does anyone on here find they get hiccups a lot more than normal people? I've been noticing that I've been getting them a lot, much to the annoyance of my sister. Get them up to twice a day, 4 days a week, and they last for up to 15 minutes a time. Just wonderign if anyone else has experienced this, and if you have, did it get worse after following the gluten-free diet for a while? Thanks for any replies - I'm just intrigued...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep--and what triggers it for me is getting up from sitting or lying down. I don't know why, but I do seem to get them more often than normal. It does happen more often since going gluten-free. Strange :huh:

penguin Community Regular

I get hiccups all the time. Usually, when I start getting a lot of hiccuping episodes close together it means that I'm going to get stomach muscle spasms. These are extraordinarily painful so hiccups worry me...

Since I still don't know what causes the spasms (I get them stressed, not stressed, acidic food or no acidic food, gluten or not) so I don't know what causes the hiccups. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. :blink:

tarnalberry Community Regular

nope, I don't get them particularly more often than other people - every few months.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I get them when I eat bread, and put too much in my mouth, which i do a lot more than you would think i do... :D

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I've always gotten hiccups a lot more than normal people. And when I get them I get them for a really long time and even once they go away they'll keep coming back throughout the day.

I actually thought that it was hereditary because my dad has told me that his grandfather used to have the same problem and one time they even had to bring him to the hospital because he couldn't stop hiccuping for I think it was like 2 days straight.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I hiccup maybe once every year and that is a long shot. My son however, hiccups at least once or twice a week. I am not sure if that is due to just his age? or something with gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

I used to get them all the time and they would be violent and hurt, but seem to be better since gluten-free. My kids' GI says they can be a sign of reflux.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I get them when I am very, very tired. I notice this with all three children, too.

Katie O'Rourke Rookie

Thanks, it's very interesting reading your replies. :)

Guest tracey and emma
Thanks, it's very interesting reading your replies. :)

Both my kids get hiccips and emma really badly and she is suspected of celiacs. But both of them have reflux to and with my daughter when the fundo was intacked it was horrible used to have to vent the peg tube, to realise the pressure! he tummy just used to get bigger and bigger.......

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I used to get them a lot, I haven't had an episode since I went gluten-free. The only thing that helped was drinking hot water to relax the spasms. I had not realized how long it had been since I had them till I saw this post! They used to be at least every other day.

IrishLisa Newbie

Before going gluten free I very rarely got hiccups, however now I get them maybe once a week or at least every other week. The strange this is that I get them while I'm asleep and it wakes me and my boyfriend up in the middle of the night! :(

• 3 years later...
Guest dyscelia

I had the same experiance as ravenwoodglass!! I used to get them ALL the time. Several times a week and several times within the same day. They stopped once I went off the gluten and I didnt have them for about 5 months.

Just the other day I got another endoscopy and I have had hiccups every day since :(:(:(. I am very upset about this because it used to be a real problem for me and now it seems to have returned. I can only hope they go away again as I am still off gluten!

Archived