• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have a question about the different patterns found due to celiac disease during an endoscope. I just got my endoscope results back, and the nurse on the phone said I have a cobblestone pattern. Do different patterns indicate differences in severity of the damage to the cillia?

I assume here the the cobblestone pattern is another phrase used to describe "mosaic pattern." This occurs often in Celiacs due to intestinal damage and seeing it can make it more likely that you have it. However, it can't be used as an indicator on its own. Did they biopsy you during the endoscopy? http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-57106493705.4c Mosaic pattern and scalloping can be signs of loss of villi and celiac disease that has been progressing for a while...however, damage and duration vary in individuals...so its not enough of a trustworthy ruler to measure disease by alone. ...But is one more piece to the puzzle, if that makes sense.

I assume here the the cobblestone pattern is another phrase used to describe "mosaic pattern." This occurs often in Celiacs due to intestinal damage and seeing it can make it more likely that you have it. However, it can't be used as an indicator on its own. Did they biopsy you during the endoscopy? http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-57106493705.4c Mosaic pattern and scalloping can be signs of loss of villi and celiac disease that has been progressing for a while...however, damage and duration vary in individuals...so its not enough of a trustworthy ruler to measure disease by alone. ...But is one more piece to the puzzle, if that makes sense.

Yes, they did biopsies too. Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know what "Diffuse featureless, granular duodenal mucosa of the mucosa was noted throughout the duodenum" would mean? I quote the report exactly. Sounds like accidental repeating of words, but the "diffuse, featureless, and granular" parts? Any thoughts?