Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lindalee

Favorite Make-up And Skin Care

I've been interested in the Bare Minerals make-up. Is it good stuff??

Julie--I love their foundation, and the other face products like bisque, blush, all over face color, glimmers and the mineral vail. I think the bare minerals look so much more natural than any other type of foundation I have used. The coverage is good, too. There is a small learning curve to applying, but it's easy! I do not care for their eye shadows--it's loose minerals, and I find them hard to apply to a small area (like eyelids). I am currently using their mascara, but plan to try Smashbox next because I'm not crazy about the BE. Someone just recently posted an email stating that Smashbox mascara and eye shadows are gluten-free. I was happy to hear that--I like their stuff, but was not sure it was safe. FYI--the BE foundations have an SPF of 15.

I'm also a recent convert to the Bare Minerals foundation. It's really easy to vary coverage depending on what you need. Normally I use a light application, but for a wedding I was in, I did full coverage. Worked great!!! The bride even used some of the "warmth" on top of her foundation and it looked awesome!

Gave her that "blushing bride" look...

It's way easy to apply, too. So much faster than liquid+powder!! Plus there is a lot less blending involved...

Guest BERNESES

I like their stuff too! My skin looked better (less breakouts) when I started using it.

Patti- I just looked on QVC. dangerous!!!!!

Julie--I love their foundation, and the other face products like bisque, blush, all over face color, glimmers and the mineral vail. I think the bare minerals look so much more natural than any other type of foundation I have used. The coverage is good, too. There is a small learning curve to applying, but it's easy! I do not care for their eye shadows--it's loose minerals, and I find them hard to apply to a small area (like eyelids). I am currently using their mascara, but plan to try Smashbox next because I'm not crazy about the BE. Someone just recently posted an email stating that Smashbox mascara and eye shadows are gluten-free. I was happy to hear that--I like their stuff, but was not sure it was safe. FYI--the BE foundations have an SPF of 15.

Thanks so much jersey for filling me in on Bare Minerals products! You are always so helpful :)

This sounds like it is right up my alley. I like the coverage of make-up but I want it to look and feel natural. I have always had the hardest time with foundations, first of all finding a color match, and then finding one that didn't feel like I had goop all over my face.

I'm going to look into this.

Thanks so much jersey for filling me in on Bare Minerals products! You are always so helpful :)

This sounds like it is right up my alley. I like the coverage of make-up but I want it to look and feel natural. I have always had the hardest time with foundations, first of all finding a color match, and then finding one that didn't feel like I had goop all over my face.

Yeah this stuff is great because it does not even feel like you are wearing makeup. You can also mix and match shades if you need a customized color for your skin. I just use one though (fairly light) and it works great. My skin is covered in acne scars and the foundation provides coverage and does not make me break out. You can buy a trial pack that comes with this cheesy dvd, which is actually worth watching so you can learn to put it on. I also use warmth, mineral veil and some of the shimmers on my eyes. haha it's fun stuff :)

Another thought when you brought up color matching--Mango is right that you can mix colors, but also, these minerals are 'forgiving' in the sense that they don't have to be an exact match to work. (Like, say, a liquid would have to be) I predict you will become hooked! :D

I, too, LOVE Bare Minerals. I used to use Mary Kay (and I still like the company and a lot of their stuff) but when I went gluten-free my body seemed to get more sensitive to alot of other things. I would breakout with make-up that I had been using for years! But I never had a problem with BE! And I have slept in it and no breakout! I love how easy the foundation is to apply (easier than a sponge and liquid!).

But, it is messy, the powder flying around the bathroom. And if you don't close the jar tightly, you can waste a lot in your luggage!

Then again, as a make-up artist, I used the spray on foundation on a lot of my clients, and that was a LOT more of a mess!! And talk about fake looking! But it is good for photography.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that I also love Bare Minerals! I use their foundation (fairly light), the mineral veil, the warm radiance, the face color/blush Golden Gate, sometimes use the undereye concealer Well Rested. And I use the Retro set as eyeliner, the Wine Country eyeshow set, and Queen Tiffany and Queen Phyllis colors. I love it all!

I am currently using Dr. Haushuka mascara. I wanted something with the least likely amount of things in it to irritate my eyes. I asked the dermatologist and that is what was recomended. It is good. Nothing too special.

I, too, LOVE Bare Minerals. I used to use Mary Kay (and I still like the company and a lot of their stuff) but when I went gluten-free my body seemed to get more sensitive to alot of other things. I would breakout with make-up that I had been using for years! But I never had a problem with BE! And I have slept in it and no breakout! I love how easy the foundation is to apply (easier than a sponge and liquid!).

But, it is messy, the powder flying around the bathroom. And if you don't close the jar tightly, you can waste a lot in your luggage!

Then again, as a make-up artist, I used the spray on foundation on a lot of my clients, and that was a LOT more of a mess!! And talk about fake looking! But it is good for photography.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that I also love Bare Minerals! I use their foundation (fairly light), the mineral veil, the warm radiance, the face color/blush Golden Gate, sometimes use the undereye concealer Well Rested. And I use the Retro set as eyeliner, the Wine Country eyeshow set, and Queen Tiffany and Queen Phyllis colors. I love it all!

I am currently using Dr. Haushuka mascara. I wanted something with the least likely amount of things in it to irritate my eyes. I asked the dermatologist and that is what was recomended. It is good. Nothing too special.

This is all really good feedback on the Bare Minerals girls. I already love it before even trying it :lol:

What in my 17 year olds make-up bag:

Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Concealer

CoverGirl Clean Makeup Oil-Control [liquid]

Maybelline Lip Gloss

NYC Nail Color

Family Hair and Skin Care:

Sauve Clarifying Shampoo

White Rain Coconut Oil Conditioner

Clean & Clear Astringent

Neutrogena Oil-Free Face Wash

White Rain Citrus Melon Body Wash

I have checked the labels with a magifying glass and think these are gluten-free. Beth's acne and my hair have improved greatly since throwing the other stuff out. Currently looking into eyeshadow, blush, lipstick and hair spray. Thanks for all the great ideas!

This is all really good feedback on the Bare Minerals girls. I already love it before even trying it :lol:
This is great. I'm ordering some. Does anyone have anything they like for large pores ? LLee

If some of the makeup items aren't gluten-free - and you're using them because they would not be ingested, please indicate that they are not gluten-free for the benefit of those who might be avoiding cosmetics with gluten due to D.H. and for those who have spouses who are celiacs and should not be kissing their made up honeys on the checks right where that non gluten-free blush is....

If some of the makeup items aren't gluten-free - and you're using them because they would not be ingested, please indicate that they are not gluten-free for the benefit of those who might be avoiding cosmetics with gluten due to D.H. and for those who have spouses who are celiacs and should not be kissing their made up honeys on the checks right where that non gluten-free blush is....

I agree debmidge. I am now confused as to what is and what isn't gluten free :blink:

I have gone over the thread a few times--I agree it would be very helpful to know if the products listed were verified gluten-free. Because I listed several, I will repeat that all of the products on my list are verified gluten-free (I wouldn't use them if the weren't :D ) Bare Escentuals mineral makeups are all gluten-free. So is the original mascara that I use. I do know that their Skin Revver-Upper (make-up primer) and the rest of the skin care line is *not* gluten-free. There is a new mascara that they carry that I have heard is *not* gluten-free either.

i love cosmetics!!!!!!!!!!

Skin:

Mountain Trip coconut moisturizer (local grocery store)

Burt's Bee's baby Bee moisturizer

Philosophy lavender pound cake shower cream (YUM!!!!)

dove deodorant

Neutrogena shampoo and conditioner 9gluten clearly marked)

Sebastian Evocativ shampoo

Cosmetics:

Burt's bees lip shimmers

lumene concealer (CVS)

lancome foundation and bronzer

bare Escentuals mineral veil

Lumene blush

Lavera mascara

philosophy is on qvc - is the lavender pound cake shower cream free of sodium laurel sulfates? do you know? LLee

philosophy is on qvc - is the lavender pound cake shower cream free of sodium laurel sulfates? do you know? LLee

It has something called tea-lauryl sulfate--

http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/produc...-1_40514_24027#

I didn't know if it was the same thing, so I found this--

http://en.mimi.hu/beauty/tea_lauryl_sulfate.html

Guest BERNESES

Everything on my list is gluten-free too.

It has something called tea-lauryl sulfate--

http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/produc...-1_40514_24027#

I didn't know if it was the same thing, so I found this--

http://en.mimi.hu/beauty/tea_lauryl_sulfate.html

Wow- That link was good patti- thanks so much. I don't think I want to wash my hair or any part of me with something that can degrease engines! I find the Philosophy shower gels to be great- I love lavender Pound cake and in the fall their pumpkin pie and apple cider ones are so amazing!

Everything on my list is gluten-free too.

Wow- That link was good patti- thanks so much. I don't think I want to wash my hair or any part of me with something that can degrease engines! I find the Philosophy shower gels to be great- I love lavender Pound cake and in the fall their pumpkin pie and apple cider ones are so amazing!

You're welcome :D I was happy to find it as I was wondering about those shower gels. She's actually on this weekend, and I'm tempted.....I love it when a website makes it easy to find ingredients.

I agree debmidge. I am now confused as to what is and what isn't gluten free :blink:

As far as I know, all of mine are gluten-free. Not all of the Eminence line is gluten-free, but if there is anything in it, it is wheat germ oil, and I know the jury is still out on just how bad that is, but I don't use products with it in there anyway.

Please start a thread of GLUTEN FREE beauty supply PRODUCTS proven through a up to date current phone call or letter email from the company they do not use gluten and will guarantee the products are NOT cross contaminated (CC) with gluten.

Please start another thread known GLUTEN products to boycott and not buy.

Many of us celiac's over time end up developing secondary food issues; dairy, corn, soy, and others the list is long. So, please we need to read past the gluten on the label. So if you are writing to a company [please] ask if the products have "the big 8 allergens" and list them as well. (i.e. milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, or soybeans). And please also ask about CORN too!

I've devoted a few pages on my blogg where I'm posting my findings about good and bad products.

Just like we fought to get the label law into effect for food -- Ladies, get ready -- here we go again, we will have to do it once again with our beauty supplies and medications we are taking as well. These companies know it's a real serious issue. The FDA will make them change, but we have to fight for it.

Please, if you use the product and you haven checked in the last month and don't know 100% for sure please state that too.

Thanks -- Keep a smiling!

You should start one! Sounds like a plan!

Another thought when you brought up color matching--Mango is right that you can mix colors, but also, these minerals are 'forgiving' in the sense that they don't have to be an exact match to work. (Like, say, a liquid would have to be) I predict you will become hooked! :D

I'm getting ready to order BE Bare Minerals make-up from QVC and I am a little confused. There's so many different things to choose from. What all do I need?

Normally I just use foundation, powder, and blush, mascara, and lip liner and gloss. I don't need mascara, I use Eco Bella and it works for me fine. I have lip liner too. So basically I need foundation, or a foundation substitute, powder, and blush.

Should I pm somebody for suggestions? Sorry to take up board time and space on my personal make-up needs :lol::lol:

Hi Julie--So you deceided to take the plunge :D . To begin, I would suggest a foundation, mineral veil, a blush, and maybe the bisque. I think those would take the place of what you currently use (your foundation, powder and blush)--and then you could try other things when you get the feel of the products. For the colors, I believe they have descriptions on the website--I am fair w/dark brown hair and blue eyes. Not ghostly white or pale, but fair with reddish undertones. I use the Medium. Mineral Veil only comes in one color, so that's easy. It gives a really nice finish to your makeup. I use the blush color Secret--it's a clear rose--it's a color I would choose in a conventional blush. Good luck--let me know what you end up ordering! :)

Please start a thread of GLUTEN FREE beauty supply PRODUCTS proven through a up to date current phone call or letter email from the company they do not use gluten and will guarantee the products are NOT cross contaminated (CC) with gluten.

Please start another thread known GLUTEN products to boycott and not buy.

Many of us celiac's over time end up developing secondary food issues; dairy, corn, soy, and others the list is long. So, please we need to read past the gluten on the label. So if you are writing to a company [please] ask if the products have "the big 8 allergens" and list them as well. (i.e. milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, or soybeans). And please also ask about CORN too!

The thing about this thread is that it's about what works for everyone individually. We all have gluten problems and take that into consideration when using or even listing our products. I'm pretty sure none of us would like to see anyone else hurt. If you have ideas for what threads need to be started, go ahead and start them!

And I don't think we should flat out condemn companies simply for using gluten in their products. Wheat germ and oat oils are very effective and soothing to the skin, so it's understandable why they would use them. Especially in "all natural" products.

Personally, I know that all the products I use are gluten-free, but I don't check for cc because I don't feel it's an issue in my makeup.

I'm getting ready to order BE Bare Minerals make-up from QVC and I am a little confused. There's so many different things to choose from. What all do I need?

They have a starter kit for like, $60 and it includes everthing you need, including brushes!

Guest BERNESES

as far as BE goes- if you buy the foundation, make sure you buy the Mineral Veil to go over it. Without the Mineral Veil my pores looked really big, but with it your skin looks smoother. I love the Mineral Veil.

They have a starter kit for like, $60 and it includes everthing you need, including brushes!

The starter kit is actually a GREAT deal- the brushes are super nice. For blush i use their Glee color but it may be a bit dark (I have olive skin). If qVC doesn't have the starter kit you might be able to get it at sephora.com

For blush i use their Glee color but it may be a bit dark (I have olive skin). If qVC doesn't have the starter kit you might be able to get it at sephora.com

I use the "warmth" that came in the kit as my blush. You only use a teeny tiny bit, and it looks great! It actually makes me look like I'm not an effing vampire!

I can also get away with using "light" instead of "fairly light" if I want to look a bit less vampiry without it looking like I have makeup that's too dark on. It's extraordinarily forgiving. I usually blend the two colors.