• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

misgiss

Could This Be Side Effect Of celiac disease?

Rate this topic

Ds is a little over 3y, some food allergies (dairy, casein, mult. nuts), has never had solid bm and has blood dripping from anus while pooping.

He had an ultrasound and CT scan a couple days ago and I got the results today. His liver is on the big side (doc doesn't know why) but his colon is very big. Very open. Everything just goes right through it. Not much, if anything, gets absorbed and nothing is "formed".

Everytime I get to reading other posts on this site I think "he's definately celiac". I feel so wishy washy about this. Probably because I feel like I'm always guessing. Tests come back negative but "what if" it's a false negative? Everything's always what if. I'm getting quite irritated.

I guess I just needed to vent a little, thanks. But any insight or knowledge any of you would like to pass along would be greatly appreciated.

There are many false negatives out there that are just that, false. Have you tried gluten free--it can't hurt. Give the diet a chance, but you must remove all gluten, not just a little here or there. I wish you luck. DEb

I agree with Deb. Just try the gluten-free diet and see if it helps. Something obviously needs to be done!

Poor little guy!! I agree with the others, give the gluten-free diet a try and see if he improves.

Some say that testing on kids so young is not reliable also.

Wow. Does he bleed every time he goes potty? And how long has that been going on? Have they ruled out fissures, hemorroids, etc? Are his stools just HUGE?

Really, I am not going to be much help as I am new here and searching for answers too. My son is 4 and has had diarrhea stools for 2.5 years now and we are finally with a GI who cares. My son is allergic to dairy, peanuts and treenuts but seems to be reacting now to soy and corn as well. It is a lot of fun to go shopping as we read everything. Do you watch for milk, milk ingredients, casein and whey? It is so hard to look at everything but you would be surprised where you find milk as I sure was. One shocker was it is in luncheon meat from the deli counter and some soups like Liptons chicken noodle *may have been in contact with* and such so be careful. He may still be exposed and that may be part of his problem. Just a guess but I sure hope you find the answers soon.

My daughters blood test come back negative when she was exactly a year old. 3mons later we had to be admitted to hospital when she got very sick. After a biopsy she was confirmed as having celiac. May want to talk to the GI more and also try the diet. Doesn't hurt eventhough it may seem tough at first. Wish you the very best. I know it is frustating but hopefully you will have an answer soon.

Guest nini

after my daughters blood tests came back negative and the pediatric gi basically dismissed me and said "oh she just has IBS, feed her more whole wheat", I got her pediatrician to support me in a three week gluten-free trial to see if it helped her. She had never had a formed stool in her life and she was three... she had so many other horrible symptoms too... within ONE week, I had a totally different child! Today she is six years old and very healthy, and she LOVES the gluten-free diet.

You do not need a Dr.s permission to try the diet, although it will be easier on you if you can get your pediatricians support. Good luck and feel free to pm me or e-mail me with any questions. I also believe the tests in children are highly innaccurate.

e-mail is nisla@comcast.net