This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Problems With Daughter....

taweavmo3

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

My daughter has been having some new issues lately, and I have no clue what could be causing them. I took her off dairy, which did help with her tantrums. But now, she's been having potty accidents. She's been potty trained for nearly a year now, and never used to have accidents. Before 10am the other day, after a small cup of juice, she went to the bathroom 4 times...and she barely made it one time. This is totally new.

I looked up some symptoms for diabetes, and she has nearly all of them. She is still very tired all the time, and takes a 2-3 hour nap each day. She is also irritable, and is actually harder to deal with than my 2 year old. I've gone over everything in her diet, and I can't find any hidden gluten. We had her GI follow up last month, and blood work was all normal. I just don't know! I don't want to be one of those moms who always thinks something is wrong.....but she still isn't 100%, and these new potty accidents aren't normal. I thought maybe she could have a UTI, but she hasn't had a fever or any symptoms for that, and has never had one before.

The only family history of diabetes in my family or dh's, is gestational and adult onset diabetes. Could it just pop up randomly like that? And are there any other signs I should look out for? Do you think this could be a result of the type of food she eats? She does eat alot of carbs... like pasta, cereal, cookies, white rice, etc.

Thanks for any input you guys may have. She absolutely hates going to the doctor, so I wanted to get some advice before I put us both through the ordeal of a doctor visit!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sleepingbean Newbie

I would take her in to rule out Bladder Infection and ask about their thoughts on Diabetes. I know my own dd had a bladder infection and she didn't express pain or a fever right away. (never did have a fever).

Also, I would look at the amount of sugars she gets in a day and also protein. Personally, I get many common hypoglycemic symptoms if I am not eating a normal if not even high amount of protein and if she's eating a high carb/starch diet, that can really mess with the system if she's not getting a good protein blend in there.

Good luck!

mommida Enthusiast

Yes, you should bring her in. Check for the UTI, bladder infection, and Diabetes. Go ahead and "be that mom" who knows something's not right and does everything possible to take care of her children. A good Dr. should test for Diabetes for the connection to Celiac, for the symptoms being presented, and because untreated Diabetes in children goes from the vague symptoms to life threatening fast.

L.

Ursa Major Collaborator

How long has she been gluten free? While I agree that she should be tested for a bladder infection and diabetes, to be safe, it could also be that now other intolerances are showing up. I also agree that her diet may be too high in carbs. You might want to replace some of those carb foods with veggies and good protein sources.

As for the juice causing her to not make it, that would likely happen to me, too. If I eat too many salicylates (and juice is really bad), I get the same symptoms as a bladder infection, which is burning when urinating, and having trouble holding my urine, and running to the bathroom all the time.

Laura--G Rookie

I agree with the person who said you should go ahead and "be that mom." When my son was 3 he started going to the bathroom constantly. Then he started being very thirsty. He could put away more water than I could as an adult. I called his doctor on a Tuesday and her office said people always think their kids have Diabetes when they start going to the bathroom more and they could see him Friday. I hung up on her. I took him to the hospital and they diagnosed him with Type 1 Diabetes. You have to listen to yourself and protect your child. It's very possible that it's not Diabetes but if you feel something is wrong it's better to be safe than sorry.

Tony'sMom Rookie

My son was diagnosed at a very young age but his symptoms were excessive thirst ( he would crawl to the sink and cry for water), wetting through double diapers, extreme tiredness, irritability. Eventually it got to the point of vomiting and lethargy and large amounts of weight loss. I took him to an emergancy clinic because his doc at the time wouldn't see him. His sugars were over 700.

If you think your dd may have diabetes then please take her in. It's not something that you want to wait on. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

TCA Contributor

My husband developed diabetes while in college. I kept pushing him to go to the Dr., but he said he just wanted to get through finals first. He ended up being hospitalized the week before finals with sugars over 800. Follow your gut. If you're wrong, then great. If not, then you can get her the help she needs. His brother also has diabetes, but before that there is no family history at all. I'm a big believer in mother's intuition. It has diagnosed my kids more than once. good luck and keep us posted on how she's doing. I hope she's better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Lucy

My sons first symptom of diabetes was a yeast rash on his butt, that would not heal. Then he had the excessive thirst, and I mean excessive. Then he was also wetting thru his clothing at least 5 times a day (he was in diapers) and I would change his sheets at night. He was 2. He also threw the most obscene temper tantrums and vomitted. I went to several Dr.s and they all missed the diagnosis. He was almost comotose and lethargic by the time I showed up at my Dr.'s office and demanded that someone look at him, whether it was my OWN dr or not. It was not. It was a resident. SHe diagnosed him with diabetes within 2 minutes of walking in her office. SHe didn't even hesitate. He was in Pediatrics ICU for 3 days. SOOO the moral of the story is. Get her tested. Don't wait. If she doesn't have it. fine she doesn't. At least you know. It is a simple blood test. Better safe than sorry. My gut is she doesn't. She doesn't sound "excessively thirsty" but you never know.

Cam's Mom Contributor

Go to the Dr. ASAP! My daughter had a cold and wasn't bouncing back, drinking water constantly and peeing like a hundred times a day. We too did not want to be the hysterical parents and waited a few days - then suspecting a UTI we finally took her to the doc (after about 2 weeks) and within hours she was admitted to the hospital with a type 1 diabetes and blood sugar over 600 Should be around 80.

do not mess with this - diabetes is extermely easy to detect and diagnose and the doctors will know immediately with a simple finger prick and urine test. She canget very sick very quickly if you do not address this immediately so please do it tomorrow if you have not done it already.

I am sure you know that kids with celiac are more prone to type 1 diabetes and vice versa. I hope it is just a UTI but as my 6 year old says "better safe than sorry".

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice. This is the one place where I don't feel like I'm a neurotic mother, lol. I will take her in to have her checked, now that I know it can get serious so quickly. Funny, last year when we got our celiac diagnosis, I thought that would be the end of our problems! Now it seems like we do great for a few months, then something else pops up. I guess that's the nature of the disease though, what a bugger it can be! Thanks again everyone.

Archived