• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Back in February I was diagnosed with suspected Giardia infection. I was treated with Flagyl and ever since have been disaccharide intolerant (both milk sugar and sucrose). My stomach and colon have been gassy and loose stools. I took Culturelle for a while but it gave me more gassiness. I have also affected by a urinary tract infection treated by Keflex and then Macrobid. It's been impossible to know what to eat. I did see a gastrointestinal doctor who told me my epitherlium has been temporarily trashed but I could go back to my normal diet (minus dairy) but I'm still having trouble with sugars. This is supposed to be temporary (6 months to a year) but I'm not sure how to eat and how to approach proper nutrition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

I would suggest keeping your diet as simple as possible and keeping a food log so you can see which foods are triggering reactions.

You may also want to look into Candida Overgrowth, when you're on that high of anti-biotics it can create havoc on the good bacteria in your system and the candida (which feeds on sugar) takes over. My dr. put me on Diflucan for a month (one pill every other day) to kill off the bacteria, and I'm still taking probiotics too.

Sometimes Giardia can be very resistant. My daughter (adopted from Russia) had it when we brought her home and the doctors at Texas Children's used Alinia on her. Alinia is newer than Flagyl and is much stronger. It usually kills the Giardia in one course.

I would get tested for Giardia again. It tends to go in cycles, so you may test negative sometimes when you really have Giardia. If you get treated with Alinia or another course of Flagyl and still have problems, then I might start suspecting Celiac... JMHO