This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Need Some Reforcement On This

Ashley

Ashley Enthusiast

I got my Special Effects Iguana Green hair dye today and I'm pretty sure it's gluten-free, but, it's got some of those really long ingredient words on it.

There's the list:

H20 to one hundred, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Benzyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Mixes of Dyes, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methlparaben, Propylparaben.

If anyone can tell if there's something hidden in one of these ingredients, or abosolutely gluten-free, I'd sure would be thankful. :)

-Ash

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'd think it was gluten-free by that list.

jerseyangel Proficient

From a gluten standpoint, it looks safe. Now, I have to ask--Ashley, why are you dying your hair green? :o

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
From a gluten standpoint, it looks safe. Now, I have to ask--Ashley, why are you dying your hair green? :o

being a person who used to have green hair, there are generally 3 reasons, most people have at least one, some have all three

1 you like green

2 you like to freak people out

3 you feel like doing something fun, and believe me, when you are a teen is the only real time you can pull off green hair (although some can do it into their 20's I am NOT one of those people)

*misses her green hair* :(

Ashley Enthusiast

Thanks guys! That makes me feel better, just the slightly contact with gluten makes me miserable :wacko:

Patti- Don't worry! I'm not dying my entire hair green, just the tips ends. It's also semi-permanent. It'll only last about 3-6 weeks. Anymore and my Mom would not be happy. During the school year, my best friend who moved to Virginia Beach, VA and I had planned to do this over the summer, since our dress code will not allow for 'distracting hair styles/colors'. Just best friend thing, I like different things.

Oh, and had some blood work done for the Anemia, and everything came back negative. So, I don't know what's going on there. I'll let ya know if anything else comes up. But, hopefully this'll put me on a track towards something that'll help. Thanks Patti :D

being a person who used to have green hair, there are generally 3 reasons, most people have at least one, some have all three

1 you like green

2 you like to freak people out

3 you feel like doing something fun, and believe me, when you are a teen is the only real time you can pull off green hair (although some can do it into their 20's I am NOT one of those people)

*misses her green hair* :(

True, true :lol: , except that second one. That only applies to my friends. Yeah, I agree. Seeing someone older than teenager with green hair looks weird.

-Ash

penguin Community Regular

I had bright pink hair, for reason number 3. I think that was also during my Hot Topic, baggy pants, chain phase :blink:

CarlaB Enthusiast

My recently graduated from HS daughter is working for a hair salon this summer in a college town ... can't wait to see what she comes home with. :blink: I think I'd pick pink, even though green is my favorite color ... pink would look better with blonde I think ... and I think you're right only doing some hair, I don't like the all over weird color look ... but I'm waaaayyy to old for it! I was a rebel though and got my ears pierced in 1972 back when they did it in a dept. store by jamming the earring through your ear with a wine cork in the back to stop it. Then got them double pierced in 1982 when that was just coming in ... so even though I wouldn't get my hair a wacky color, I bet I would have if it had been in style when I was younger. Especially with the semi-permanent colors available.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty conservative, which makes the shock value even more fun.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
My recently graduated from HS daughter is working for a hair salon this summer in a college town ... can't wait to see what she comes home with. :blink: I think I'd pick pink, even though green is my favorite color ... pink would look better with blonde I think ... and I think you're right only doing some hair, I don't like the all over weird color look ... but I'm waaaayyy to old for it! I was a rebel though and got my ears pierced in 1972 back when they did it in a dept. store by jamming the earring through your ear with a wine cork in the back to stop it. Then got them double pierced in 1982 when that was just coming in ... so even though I wouldn't get my hair a wacky color, I bet I would have if it had been in style when I was younger. Especially with the semi-permanent colors available.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty conservative, which makes the shock value even more fun.

I went through what my mom calls "rainbow rebel" stage, my hair was green, pink, purple, orange, yellow, aqua, bright red, black, black with blue, blue, blue and white, ect. (not all at the same time)

my fav. was when I dyed my hair platinum blonde and did pastel pink highlights. (second fav. was brown with bright red highlights, which was how it was when hubby and I met, I called it "cherry coke")

can't do it anymore though, had to grow up, have to have "mom hair" :(

I had bright pink hair, for reason number 3. I think that was also during my Hot Topic, baggy pants, chain phase :blink:

haha, I went through that phase, but it was pre-Hot Topic, I was punk when it wasn't mainstream, really freaked out the local farmers to come into the bait shop and buy worms from a chick with pink hair, a thrift store Ramones shirt, saftey pin covered skirt and pink fishnets (although I did have to bleach the fishnets and dye them pink) I made all my stuff, I remember being so mad a few years later when I found out it was being mass marketed to the mall.... :angry: Oh, well......... B)

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks guys! That makes me feel better, just the slightly contact with gluten makes me miserable :wacko:

Patti- Don't worry! I'm not dying my entire hair green, just the tips ends. It's also semi-permanent. It'll only last about 3-6 weeks. Anymore and my Mom would not be happy. During the school year, my best friend who moved to Virginia Beach, VA and I had planned to do this over the summer, since our dress code will not allow for 'distracting hair styles/colors'. Just best friend thing, I like different things.

Oh, and had some blood work done for the Anemia, and everything came back negative. So, I don't know what's going on there. I'll let ya know if anything else comes up. But, hopefully this'll put me on a track towards something that'll help. Thanks Patti :D

True, true :lol: , except that second one. That only applies to my friends. Yeah, I agree. Seeing someone older than teenager with green hair looks weird.

-Ash

Ashley--Glad you followed up on the blood work! Hopefully now everything will fall into place on that front. The hair thing sounds cute--have fun!! :D

Ashley Enthusiast

Just happens that I ordered my hair dye from Hottopic!

Wow! It's amazing how many colors you dyed your hair, Smunkeemom! I wish I could do that! I remember reading an article on Hottopic about how hard it was to get band shirts back then.

CarlaB- Ouch :o , I know that had to painful! I think would look really nice in your hair, the flower in your hair in your avatar looks really pretty as it is.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Just happens that I ordered my hair dye from Hottopic!

Wow! It's amazing how many colors you dyed your hair, Smunkeemom! I wish I could do that! I remember reading an article on Hottopic about how hard it was to get band shirts back then.

yeah, you pretty much either went to the concert (which nobody played in OK) or waited to buy one at the Goodwill (if anyone ever got rid of it)

I had to mix my own hair colors, they didn't have "off the shelf" green back then.

I remember going through the after halloween sales to pick up makeup and clothes for the year, fishnets, and black skirts were hard to come by LOL

CarlaB Enthusiast
CarlaB- Ouch :o , I know that had to painful! I think would look really nice in your hair, the flower in your hair in your avatar looks really pretty as it is.

Actually, I don't think it hurts anymore than it does with the gun ... it just sounds more painful. Thanks for the compliment ... my dh picked it for me moments before the pic was taken, but I think 43 is way too old for pink highlights ... I thought about getting those little clippy extension things in pink to wear to a concert or an amusement park or something. I can just see doing the school mom thing with pink hair! :lol:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've thought about dying my hair... Fruity hippie granola type that I am, however, I don't want to use harsh chemicals, and I sure don't need my hair getting frizzier! I've got some henna (of the slightly reddish variety, to add a small tint), but am worried about dying my skin along with my hair, and have been too chicken to try it. Maybe I can pay one of the hair places around here to use my stuff on me for me. :P bawk, bawk, bawwwk! :P

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
I've thought about dying my hair... Fruity hippie granola type that I am, however, I don't want to use harsh chemicals, and I sure don't need my hair getting frizzier! I've got some henna (of the slightly reddish variety, to add a small tint), but am worried about dying my skin along with my hair, and have been too chicken to try it. Maybe I can pay one of the hair places around here to use my stuff on me for me. :P bawk, bawk, bawwwk! :P

I have heard of people using Kool-aid to dye their hair, freaky colors. I also dyed mine with black tea once, although it was more of a rinse, meaning it washed out the next day.

jennyj Collaborator

Several years ago my family was going to the state fair and my youngest daughter was taking her (1st) boyfriend with us. He asked if his older brother could come too and we said sure. When he( the brother) came to the van he had 50 ponytails in his hair sticking up in all directions. He had some of them different colors. He looked at me when he got in and I said "Cool hair-do". He asked my daughter if I was being serious and she said yes, she lets us do whatever we want with our hair because its ours. Well, he stuck with me and my husband for the first two hours at the fair until we went to our concert. My daughter told me later he asked her if I believed in adoption. lol

tarnalberry Community Regular
I have heard of people using Kool-aid to dye their hair, freaky colors. I also dyed mine with black tea once, although it was more of a rinse, meaning it washed out the next day.

ooo... that would be a very interesting idea. my hair is lighter, and it might be fun to try it darker for a day. I hate the idea of permanent dye - anything that won't wash out - so that sounds idea. I wonder what roobois tea would do... fab ideas! I thought the Kool-aid didn't come out easily, though?

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
ooo... that would be a very interesting idea. my hair is lighter, and it might be fun to try it darker for a day. I hate the idea of permanent dye - anything that won't wash out - so that sounds idea. I wonder what roobois tea would do... fab ideas! I thought the Kool-aid didn't come out easily, though?

it's true that Jello comes out easier than Kool-aid, but Prell shampoo will strip out just about any coloring, even semi-permanent that you buy in the grocery store.

Girl Ninja Newbie
I can just see doing the school mom thing with pink hair! :lol:

HAHAHA! My son starts kindergarten in the Fall and I just went through his orientation with him. I'm 26 and I have pink hair at the moment. I've been dying it for 10 years, always with Special Effects. I do it because if I don't I feel invisible. I've gone through periods of letting it grow out or dyed it "normal" for one reason or another. Usually other people's wedding requests and such. I've found it's just a great way to meet people. When I have mouse-brown hair, I look exceptionally average. With the bright colors, I get approached all the time. No one ever has anything negative to say. I get a lot of "life's too short, sieze the day" type encouragement.

My son told his dad, "Girls are weird. Except for Mom. She has cool hair."

CarlaB Enthusiast

There was a young waitress at a restaurant who always had a different color hair. One week it was very plain brown. We asked what happened, and she said her dad was coming for a visit. :lol::lol::lol:

ravenwoodglass Mentor
it's true that Jello comes out easier than Kool-aid, but Prell shampoo will strip out just about any coloring, even semi-permanent that you buy in the grocery store.

Thanks for the heads up on the Prell, I will have to get some tommorrow. I used a semipermanent color before Xmas expecting it to go away, NSL. I hate roots but don't want to color again or cut, Prell is worth a try. I am assuming it is gluten-free?

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up on the Prell, I will have to get some tommorrow. I used a semipermanent color before Xmas expecting it to go away, NSL. I hate roots but don't want to color again or cut, Prell is worth a try. I am assuming it is gluten-free?

as far as the gluten free status, I have no clue, I probably haven't used it at all since 1987 LOL didn't even know what gluten was back then.

Edit: I just checked the website and it is gluten free, they have different kinds now though, so you want the original rinse clean formula, you should be able to get it at the drugstore or supermarket.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
as far as the gluten free status, I have no clue, I probably haven't used it at all since 1987 LOL didn't even know what gluten was back then.

Thanks, I'll just call the company to be sure. While y'all were dying your hair funny colors I was getting tatoos. In the 70's if you were female and had a tatoo you were either a sailor or a prostitute. Boy have times changed. Ah to be young now they have so much more fun options in clothes and hair.

penguin Community Regular
Thanks, I'll just call the company to be sure. While y'all were dying your hair funny colors I was getting tatoos. In the 70's if you were female and had a tatoo you were either a sailor or a prostitute. Boy have times changed. Ah to be young now they have so much more fun options in clothes and hair.

I got a tattoo when I was 17 on the small of my back, swirly thing with a blue butterfly above it. It's very "I'm 17 with a cute tattoo". My mom had to sign for it, and she did so only under the condition that I never get my tounge pierced. The lady that did it used to be my boss - when I was 14 I babysat her son in the shop every day after school. I know a lot about tattoos and piercings :P

Luckily, I forget it's there unless I look for it :blink:

I was just thinking yesterday about how that's going to look in the nursing home 60 years from now. I guess I won't be the only one...

I think that was just after the pink hair phase... I think I did green or blue kool-aid once and it didn't work, and I had bleached hair. I also used prell with the pink stuff in, it didn't strip the color out, I don't think. Not totally anyway.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was just thinking yesterday about how that's going to look in the nursing home 60 years from now. I guess I won't be the only one...

I wondered about that also, that's why I did back, upper arms and small of the back, no long stemed roses to stretch out on my boobs. :P I get another for every major life event. Only four so far but the last one was huge covers the entire small of my back, it's a celtic symbol for the affirmation of life. They are addicting for some of us.

Guest nini

LOL about this thread! My hair has been fire engine red, fuscia, hot pink, orange, blue, black, platinum blonde and purple... I still would love to have crazy colors but I'm trying to build a reputation as a professional massage therapist so I need to look less freaky! I also have tattoos... my daughter thinks that I used to be really weird! I too was punk before punk was marketed to the mainstream... dyed my tights and fishnets, concert shirts from the actual shows, or hand painted t-shirts, safety pins and ripped everything, thrift store clothes... on and on, made my mom nuts...

I haven't really worried about hair color having gluten in it, should I?????!!!!

Archived