This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Poop Pictures

Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Okay, we've all been asking questions about poop and discussing its various qualities, right? Well, I was wondering why there can't be a PHOTO of what a NORMAL poop is supposed to look like! And, for comparison, photos of typical celiac stools, stools that display evidence of malabsorbtion, etc....

We need a whole section of the board devoted to POOP!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I think the problem is that pictures only give you 50% of the story. The other part is consistency and smell, which you can only tell... in other ways. I'm certainly not going to have samples for reference for either of those two senses. But it would certainly be better than nothing!

I think the problem is that pictures only give you 50% of the story. The other part is consistency and smell, which you can only tell... in other ways. I'm certainly not going to have samples for reference for either of those two senses. But it would certainly be better than nothing!

Okay, for smell, we need computer printers equipped with scratch-and-sniff. :)

Anybody have any ideas for consistency?

Chako Apprentice

This is too funny! I actually have a bunch of Curran's stools on my camera right now as the GI said to bring her some pics if I could! LMBO! She asked me to photograph next to a white background if at all possible. As he has blown out in clothing it is a fun exercise to scrape it out and put it on a paper towel. Sorry if TMI. I can contribute to the photo gallery of poop if it gets started! **trying to imagine what the gallery would be called** :blink::P

**trying to imagine what the gallery would be called** :blink::P

Modern Art?

Lister Rising Star

i got about 4 pics of my ghosts- what came from my Upper Gi turned everything a neon white for like 3 days i was obsessed lol.

penguin Community Regular
**trying to imagine what the gallery would be called** :blink::P

"my camera is full of crap"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Thinking along a soap opera theme............"These are the poops of our Lives"

-Jessica :rolleyes:

dlp252 Apprentice
Thinking along a soap opera theme............"These are the poops of our Lives"

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Or, As the Poop Turns.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

Is there such a thing as normal poop?

just asking, there is no 'normal' poop in our house, so maybe I live a sheltered life.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

to continue our scatological discussion....(I love that word and don't get to use it in a sentence often) :rolleyes:

I was watching Oprah one day and her guest was Dr. Mehmet Oz. I bought his book called "You: The Owner's Manual." On the show they discussed poop in great detail and how it was supposed to be. (My mom has my book currently or else I"d refer to it). I remember the poop was supposed to be sort of snake like and in a slight "S" shape, as if it had been softly molded in the colon. Not hard and lumpy, not floating....but firmly formed and slightly curving.

that's all I remember, was in advanced and undiagnosed stage of Celiac and everything was in a fog.... :blink:

odcdinah Contributor

Actually, there are pictures - sort of. There is something physicians use called the "Bristol Stool Scale" which gives pics of the different kinds of stools, with desciriptions. If you Google "bristol stool scale", you'll find it.

Don't ask me why I know this....

francelajoie Explorer

Oh my god!!!

I just checked out those pictures....I'm a "4"...hooray, my poop is normal!!!!!! :D

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Check it out!! Open Original Shared Link

francelajoie Explorer
Check it out!! Open Original Shared Link

Can't get on the site...need user name and password.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Try this one Open Original Shared Link

elye Community Regular

Yeah, excellent...I seem to be in the "normal" neighborhood myself. Nothing like getting to know each other so intimately, eh? Just emailed that faeces scale page to my hubby at work. I know him well, but not THAT well. How many of us actually know what our partner's stools look like? That's just plain TMI for me... :lol:

taz sharratt Enthusiast
This is too funny! I actually have a bunch of Curran's stools on my camera right now as the GI said to bring her some pics if I could! LMBO! She asked me to photograph next to a white background if at all possible. As he has blown out in clothing it is a fun exercise to scrape it out and put it on a paper towel. Sorry if TMI. I can contribute to the photo gallery of poop if it gets started! **trying to imagine what the gallery would be called** :blink::P

I think it should be called crap ally, ha ha

CarlaB Enthusiast

The internet is a very strange place to be! I can't believe there is a poop rating system! Mine typically are not normal. <_< Rarely do they look like 3 or 4.

No, I've never seen my husband's ... he's very protective of it :lol: Married 21 years and have never seen it! (Thank goodness).

MallysMama Explorer

So, after seeing that scale - it should tell you what causes all of the types of poop! If you're not "normal" - what can be done to get normal? Which type do you have if you're a celiac not eating properly? Etc.

penguin Community Regular

I haven't seen 3 or 4 in at least 3 years.

Thanks for the info!

But yeah, which ones are celiac-y?

elye Community Regular

From the research I have done, the bowel movements that are runny are the ones that glutened celiacs tend to get. You know, the classic diarrhea. However, some celiacs have constipation as a symptom...an interesting question. Gross, but interesting.... :huh:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I haven't seen 3 or 4 in at least 3 years.

Thanks for the info!

But yeah, which ones are celiac-y?

Celiac poops, from my own experience, are not really on that scale - I mean *distinctly* celiac. Because mine, in the last couple of years before diagnosis, had white stripes in them (mucus and/or undigested fat), were light grey in color (until they became black with occult blood), and....now here's for the reallly gross part....sometimes just streams of brown mucus would come out. Yup, and I didn't think anything of it - thought it was just nerves until I started asking people (just the inner circle, mind you). :ph34r:

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Yeah, excellent...I seem to be in the "normal" neighborhood myself. Nothing like getting to know each other so intimately, eh? Just emailed that faeces scale page to my hubby at work. I know him well, but not THAT well. How many of us actually know what our partner's stools look like? That's just plain TMI for me... :lol:

In my 6 years of marriage I haven't actually seen hubby's stools, but I can guess what they look like...... (since he has crohn's and all) we talk about poop way too much in our house, the texture esp. haha! I guess that's "normal" for a family where in the immediate family (kids, parents, grandparents) you have 5 people with Celiac, 3 with crohns, and 2 with IBS...come to think of it, everyone in my family is sick :(

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Oh wow-you must get through alot of toilet roll!! :lol:

Archived