• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

These are found in shampoos, soaps etc to give it a lather. I get welps on my upper body and head after using. Does anyone have this problem or have product reccomendations? I bought an organic shampoo without it but it not that great but the itching is gone. LindaLee

I get red rash on my scalp and shoulders from my shampoo, I never did try to figure out why though.

It seems to go away once I am dried off.... it's rather confusing to me.

Some of the SLS free products I use are--

California Baby--all of their products are SLS free and gluten-free

Shikai Shampoo & Conditioner--not all their products are gluten-free

Jason Showersilk--not all their products are gluten-free

Jason Supersmile Toothpaste--company will clearly list gluten

It is difficult to find products that are both SLS and gluten-free. I've spent hours reading labels :D The benefit for me is that my sensitive skin is much better. I had an eczema-like condition on my eyelid that did not respond to diet changes, allergy meds or Rx steriod cream. Nothing worked for very long--after years of this, it is now gone :)

SLS is a known carcinogen and should be avoided by everyone. I never use anything with it (read toothpaste, shampoo, etc.)

Watch out for antacids - like Pepcid Complete - they also have SLS. I was reading the label looking for gluten the other day while putting green dots on all gluten-free things in the cupboard, and saw the SLS. I didn't dot it.

I get red rash on my scalp and shoulders from my shampoo, I never did try to figure out why though.

It seems to go away once I am dried off.... it's rather confusing to me.

I get a few red blotches after using it. I finally figured it out after all these years. The bumps and itching on my hairline and head was severe and happened around the time my stomach broke out and itched like crazy - I think that was the gluten in the products and foods. It went away after some oil of oregano. Between the stomach and the head I was an itching mess. The shampoo I am using now doesn't have the sls in it but I do get a small blotch here and there afterwards. Trying to find one that doesn't cause a reaction. LindaLee

Some of the SLS free products I use are--

California Baby--all of their products are SLS free and gluten-free

Shikai Shampoo & Conditioner--not all their products are gluten-free

Jason Showersilk--not all their products are gluten-free

Jason Supersmile Toothpaste--company will clearly list gluten

It is difficult to find products that are both SLS and gluten-free. I've spent hours reading labels :D The benefit for me is that my sensitive skin is much better. I had an eczema-like condition on my eyelid that did not respond to diet changes, allergy meds or Rx steriod cream. Nothing worked for very long--after years of this, it is now gone :)

I think I'll try the caifornia baby where do you get it? Health food store? Thanks, LindaLee

sls is terrible for people with Rosacea. So that's where some of you are getting red blotchys............ SLS is one of my worst enemies..........

mamaw

sls is terrible for people with Rosacea. So that's where some of you are getting red blotchys............ SLS is one of my worst enemies..........

mamaw

Oh my gosh! I never connected the two, but my rosacea has also gotten better lately. I was just telling my sister yesterday (we live in different states, so she hasn't seen me) that my face is not nearly as red. My face wash has been SLS free, but not my shampoo and conditioner until recently. With that stuff running down my face, it's no wonder. Thanks, Mamaw!

mamaw

omg I didn't connect it either, I have pretty bad Rosacea especially in the summer time, I bet you are right. Thanks, everything is making much more sense now.

This is so intriguing to me. I can't believe how much toxic junk is hidden in our body care products. I've been switching to more organic brands lately and all sorts of weird skin problems I have have been going away.....

I've been using Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta shampoo. I actually really like it, especially compared to other natural shampoos I've tried. Last night I bought some Giovanni conditioner from my co-op (because it was dirt cheap on sale :) ) and I like it so far.

Aubrey Organics E Plus High C deodorant is great too. It really works!!!!!

I'm also a big fan of Jason stuff....

SLS is a known carcinogen and should be avoided by everyone. I never use anything with it (read toothpaste, shampoo, etc.)

Watch out for antacids - like Pepcid Complete - they also have SLS. I was reading the label looking for gluten the other day while putting green dots on all gluten-free things in the cupboard, and saw the SLS. I didn't dot it.

SLS and Cancer

I live in south Jersey, and can find a few of their products at Wegmans. Here is their website--I brought up the ingredient page for you--

http://www.californiababy.com/ingredients.html

Rats no cleanser there. LLee

what kind of cleanser are you looking for?

Facial- I am dry to normal and want something to rinse off. My pores seem to be getting larger(clogged) ?I also need a body soap with no sls and gluten. Thanks, LindaLee

Facial- I am dry to normal and want something to rinse off. My pores seem to be getting larger(clogged) ?I also need a body soap with no sls and gluten. Thanks, LindaLee

I forgot to list my facial cleanser--I'm using (and like very much) Zia Moisturizing Cleanser. It's for normal/dry skin. It's detergent-free.

http://www.zianatural.com/shopping/product...&iProductID=113

I have not found a bar-type body soap that is SLS and gluten-free.

You might want to check into Aubrey Organics skin care products if you haven't already. www.aubrey-organics.com I honestly don't know for a fact whether its free of sls, but the ingredients are pretty straight forward and the company would probably tell you. They point out on their website that the grain alcohol they use is gluten-free. I recently started using the shampoo, deodorant and the face mask for oily skin and I love it all so far! I have crazy super sensitive skin and react to most stuff...but so far so good with this product.

what about this:

http://www.kissmyface.com/Product/Kiss+My+...oaps/0100401EA/

Ingredients are Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid

Or are those hidden words for SLS? I honestly don't know :unsure:

Thank you!!!!That looks great. And that brand is easy to find. No--it dosen't appear to contain SLS--and I love that it also dosen't have tons of ingredients. Have you tried it? I'm going to put this on my "Whole Foods" list :D

Thank you!!!!That looks great. And that brand is easy to find. No--it dosen't appear to contain SLS--and I love that it also dosen't have tons of ingredients. Have you tried it? I'm going to put this on my "Whole Foods" list :D

Yep I've tried it. It's good stuff. :)

I was just searching that company. Does anyone out there use it? Is whole foods a health store. Don't have whole foods here at the beach. LLee

Yep I've tried it. It's good stuff. :)

Just saw this! Great I'll get some too!!!! Yea -

what about this:

http://www.kissmyface.com/Product/Kiss+My+...oaps/0100401EA/

Ingredients are Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid

Or are those hidden words for SLS? I honestly don't know :unsure:

Mango--

I just had to tell you that I bought some at WF this morning! Can't wait to try it--thanks again! :D

Mango--

I just had to tell you that I bought some at WF this morning! Can't wait to try it--thanks again! :D

I love this soap. However, keep it out of the flow of your shower water when you're not using it. I mean, if you've got a hanging shower caddy that hangs from your shower head, you might find your soap disintigrates quickly. Good stuff, though.

I love this soap. However, keep it out of the flow of your shower water when you're not using it. I mean, if you've got a hanging shower caddy that hangs from your shower head, you might find your soap disintigrates quickly. Good stuff, though.

Thanks for the tip! Will do :D