• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

debbiewil

Seattle Best Coffee

Rate this topic

Borders stores are changing their cafes - they will be run by Seattle's Best Coffee Co. Well, I love to read, and stop in at Borders every week or two, and a coffee while I'm there is a plus, so I called Seattle Coffee Co. Very nice Customer Service rep. who told me that all of their coffee was gluten free, but that they purchase the chocolate (mocha, chocolate, chocolate chips) from another vendor. The vendor does not use any gluten in making the chocolate, but the machinery used does also make gluten containing items. And while it is washed throughly, they can not guarantee it against cross contamination.

Debbie

So, Barnes and Noble has Starbucks, Borders has Seattle's Best, but they're both owned by Starbucks. Fascinating for a person with a marketing degree. I find Starbucks whole methodology fascinating. They're doing the same as Procter and Gamble, becoming their own best competitor.

So, Barnes and Noble has Starbucks, Borders has Seattle's Best, but they're both owned by Starbucks. Fascinating for a person with a marketing degree. I find Starbucks whole methodology fascinating. They're doing the same as Procter and Gamble, becoming their own best competitor.

Yeah Seattle's Best found they couldn't compete with Starbucks and they let Starbuck's buy them. I thought of the same thing with the Barnes & Nobles and Borders thing :)

Nestle own nescafe and several brands. At one point the 'gold blend' brand did so well they had to spend money knocking it on the nescafe normal ... LOL.

However Im not sure Starbucks really do marketing... I think the description of methodolgy is closer.

The methodology seems to be simply to remove customer choice ... no need to advertise or market if you own enough of the market to dictate terms. I have tasted worse coffee but not often but then they don't try and compete on thier coffee?

Wow, I take that back, their website is an example of misleading marketing.

There is only one thing you need to know about coffee and that is the bean types used.

After that the different growing areas make different tastes and subtle flavors but Starbucks manages never to disclose what beans it is using.

They even add misdirection like calling a brand "arabian" for instance making it seem it is arabica beans ...

For anyone who doesn't know there are only two commercial beans robusta and arabica.

Arabica is way more expensive has only about 75% of the caffine of robusta.

Robusta is way more bitter and usually used to make cheap coffee by combining it with arabica for taste.

Starbucks coffee has the highest caffine according to http://www.cspinet.org/nah/caffeine/caffeine_corner.htm

So draw your own conclusions ....