Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ursa Major

Answer To Inquiry From Enterolab

Well, I saw somebody post a question about that a while ago, and was wondering about it myself, as my youngest daughter had the blood tests, and it was claimed they were negative. That's all I got, the lab didn't even submit any numbers to the doctor's office (I was mad, after having to pay $130.00 privately, because our provincial insurance won't cover celiac disease testing!). So, now Susie (who is 14) claims that it proves that she doesn't have a problem with gluten (even though she has symptoms) and refuses to try the gluten-free diet. I would just love to get her tested by Enterolab.

Anyway, here is the response I got from them, concerning testing for Canadians.

Dear Ursula, Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we do test people in Canada and all over the world, actually. We will be happy to help you. Please know, however, that all international orders are responsible for shipping charges incurred in returning the samples to our lab. We recommend using Federal Express, as we have fewer problems with them in getting biological specimens through customs. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Sincerely, Phyllis Zermeno, RN, BSN Clinical Manager

Hi Ursula,

I dont know about Enterolab...but about the blood tests...mine came back negative also..but my biopsy was positive. I think its 20% of us test negative from the blood work. So tell her it still doesnt rule out Celiac!

Hi Ursula,

I dont know about Enterolab...but about the blood tests...mine came back negative also..but my biopsy was positive. I think its 20% of us test negative from the blood work. So tell her it still doesnt rule out Celiac!

I HAVE told her that, but being a typical teenager, who is determined not to give up bread, cookies etc., and the doctor claiming she definitely doesn't have celiac disease, she refuses to listen to me. I guess she'll have to get really sick first. I hate that idea, obviously. But my husband wants to believe the doctor, and I have my doubts that he'll consider paying for the Enterolab testing. He is way too cheap.

Ursula, both my blood test and my biopsy came back negative. I'm very sensitive to gluten and my Enterolab came back positive. I was pretty sick, too.

Thanks for finding this out Ursula! I am one of the fellow Canucks who asked about this. :) We are still awaiting my son's bloodwork to come back and have another 2 to 4 weeks for his celiac test. His first one 2.5 years ago was negative. Since being around these boards I find far too much of Curran here. :(

I will look into the testing once I get the bloodwork back from the doctor.

Thanks again!

Just curious though, why is it Enterolab would be more sensitive than the regular panel done by the doctor? Anyone know?

Enterolab does a stool test so it's where the reaction happens first. It takes time for it to get bad enough to get into the blood. You can check out their website for a more scientific explanation. www.enterolab.com

Guest Robbin
:) Hi Ursula, I have a similar problem with both my sons. My oldest (type I diabetic-21-yr old) refuses to even consider trying going gluten-free even after I had the enterolab results and even with the fact that he is so skinny, has gastro problems, AND has seen how much better I am after going gluten-free. My youngest, who has been up and down with the D, food intolerances, and losing weight, argues about it too. He is only 13, so I have control over meals at home and he is doing so much better. but, even though he is feeling better--the negative blood tests (incomplete panel anyway) seem to mean so much more than anything I can say. He says he is feeling better but it is a "coincidence"! That teenage stubborn attitude is frustrating, to say the least. I think my oldest is in denial and has so much frustration already with the diabetes he just can't fathom it. Sometimes even to their own detriment, some teens just don't want Mom to be right about ANYTHING! I just give them the facts, serve gluten-free meals to my youngest who lives at home, and PRAY. A lot. Think about it though, food is so much a part of a teen's social life. Restaurants, food courts at the mall, and fast food places are their "dens". It is not only a physical thing, but a huge emotional/social issue that I can see how I would have been at that age. Some people just have to hit rock bottom and reach the point when they feel so bad they will do anything to feel better. Even give up gluten. It is hard to believe that foods that are natural and supposed to be healthy can make you so sick. I think that is part of it with kids as well, since we are all conditioned to think of "whole grain goodness" as a healthy lifestyle. We are also conditioned to think of drs. as so much smarter than we are about our bodies --all those factors --plus teen angst--it's a hard battle! Enterolab was the way I went--My hubby is cheap too, by the way. Tell him you can put it on a credit card and pay it off a little at a time if need be. If the tv or computer broke, they would get that fixed, right?! Sorry such a long post!! Sending courage and warm thoughts to you! :D PS Your daughter is so lovely :)

Thanks, girls. Yes, that brat is lovely, no doubt. :rolleyes: Just today she was too sick to go to school again. When I ask her what she ate yesterday, she rolls her eyes and declares that I am stupid to think everything is food related, and that there is nothing wrong with her. According to her, her stomach aches, sore throat, feeling dizzy, tired and just generally crappy a lot, plus throwing up in the middle of the night and episodes of diarrhea have NOTHING to do with food! Right, and Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy are real, too. :blink:

Guest Robbin
Thanks, girls. Yes, that brat is lovely, no doubt. :rolleyes: Just today she was too sick to go to school again. When I ask her what she ate yesterday, she rolls her eyes and declares that I am stupid to think everything is food related, and that there is nothing wrong with her. According to her, her stomach aches, sore throat, feeling dizzy, tired and just generally crappy a lot, plus throwing up in the middle of the night and episodes of diarrhea have NOTHING to do with food! Right, and Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy are real, too. :blink:

Those symptoms are EXACTLY what my 13 yr. old gets!! Plus he has the eye roll symptom too!! Must be either celiac or bratiac!!! Our two would get along very well. :)

Ursula--Those were my symptoms at her age. I wish that someone in my life would have come forward and cared to get to the bottom of it like you do. I think because the doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me, and the time that it was--it was "easier" for everyone to say I was "sensitive" and go on about our lives. I often wonder what shape I'd be in now if my Celiac and other food problems were identified and dealt with way back when. I'll bet ya I would not be in the pickle I find myself in now--Celiac, and numerous food intolerances--after years of mystery illnesses and poor quality of life. Well, I kept everything looking nice on the surface, so what the heck. I hope your daughter will consider that her mom *could* actually be right about this and agree to let you guide her on this. ;)

Guest Robbin

Patti, you are so right on with that. If someone could have cared and tried to help me, my life would be sooo much different. I know that these kids don't act like they are listening and seem like they are not taking us seriously, but deep down they know and just the fact that we know what celiac is and what gluten does to our body, will make the difference. We never knew what was wrong with us. A lot of us were labeled as hypochondriacs, so these young kids will at least know what the problem is and if and when they reach that point-- when they are sick of being sick, they will know what to do about it. They probably won't give Mom credit for helping them though until they are about 40!! (Not that we care, right? We just want them healthy and to spare them the pain a lot of us here have gone through.)

Susie has been tested to be intolerant to all dairy, and it definitely makes her sick. It is a struggle to stop her from consuming dairy, but she is getting better at it. She can't stand the idea of giving up something else, though. I believe she has stopped cheating by eating ice cream, especially since I make sure she has fruit juice popsicles, freezies and dairy-free sherbet available all the time (I defy my cheap husband there, who claims she doesn't need those things, they're luxuries, he considers everything not exactly needed for survival a luxury). I guess as long as it's cold and yummy, she is happy. She also loves making smoothies, and she is using Rice Dream for those.

My husband and her older sister insist on having real milk in the house though, which is a big temptation for Susie. For a while (while Janet was in college) I managed to only have Rice Dream around (Ken doesn't really care that much, he is okay with Rice Dream on his cereal), but Janet insists that Susie is old enough to know better than giving in to temptation, and she has no intention of being dairy free just for Susie. :( That girl makes me mad (she is 20, and likes to bully her younger sister and me, and Ken and her gang up on us)!