This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those With A Casein Sensitivity...

lorka150

lorka150 Collaborator

not yesterday, but the day before, i had some lunch and accidently used a product with a hidden milk ingredient. i realized it soon after, and it sucks, but hey, it happens!

anyway, this morning i all of a sudden felt really, really poorly. had the worst poop, and am brain fog central. i didn't directly consume anything that could be cross-contaminated (just had some fruit so far)... could this be 'left over' from the casein? just curious if anyone has had a delayed reaction from that.

thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yep, I get delayed reactions from casein all the time. In fact, I generally react about two or three days later. Hope you feel better. Getting caseined is no fun <_<

mmaccartney Explorer

My casein reaction usually starts about 2-4 hours after ingesting it. Sometimes, if it was late at night that I ate it the reaction wouldn't start until early mornin, like 4 or 5 am.

dlp252 Apprentice

A lot of my reactions (to just about anything) are delayed! That's one of the reasons it so darned hard for me to figure out exactly what I'm reacting to sometimes.

lorka150 Collaborator

thanks everyone.

i had felt it immediately, but then today it came at full blast. i wanted to make sure i didn't do another mistake, but i'm so positive i didn't that it must have been delayed.

thanks for your replies!

shai76 Explorer

I'm pretty allergic so my reaction starts as soon as I come in contact with milk. I get wheezy, my throat tightens up, I have trouble breathing, my airways swell, Hives, facial swelling, tongue swelling. Drop in blood pressure. That's when I have to go to the hospital. I end up with a stomach ache, reflux, swollen esophagus and asthma for up to a month after exposure. Bloody diarrhea, and the worst eczema you can imagine on my hands and feet, and genitals. I also get that foggy, high feeling in my head, but that doesn't last long and is normally caused by a release of endorphines to help ease the pain and stress of anaphelectic shock.

lorka150 Collaborator

i did get the hives and chest tightness right away... just the poop and SUPER brain fog came today.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shai76 Explorer

My main delayed reaction is the eczema. I don't understand why brain fog happens with delayed reaction, but it does happen. Maybe it is some kind of coping mechanism for your body to deal with repairing the damage or something.

jenvan Collaborator

I used to get the brain fog too...but curiously, once I gave up dairy I never had it again. So I am beginning to think that my brain fog was based on casein, not gluten issues (as I had originally assumed).

Guest Robbin

I get the immediate sore throat, few hours later-D, then for a couple of days -brain fog. Casein seems to be just as bad as gluten for me too. Something I found that helps the brain fog is kind of weird, but anything peppermint, menthol, etc. I have bath salts with peppermint , drink mint tea, use a olba menthol natural nasal inhaler, even rub vicks all over!! It helps for me, maybe it will help someone else. (I don't usually do all that at the same time!) :) It's temporary, but helps me focus enough to at least cook dinner or carry on a conversation. :blink:

lorka150 Collaborator

jenvan,

i think so, too.

one day, i got caseined and glutened (what weird phrases, eh?) in the same meal. i know what both of the products were, and as SOON as i had the casein (which was before the gluten), i got the brain fog. i also get jell-o legs from casein immediately, too.

Archived