• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free for almost 3 years now but have still felt kinda crappy. I did the Enterolab test for yeast, milk(casein), and egg sensitivity a few months ago and the results showed that my antibody levels for all three were around 30 and normal is less than 10. So I'm immunologically sensitive to these foods. I was just wondering if anybody knows if there is any casein in goat's milk? I don't miss milk too terribly, but it would still be nice to have something to put in my cereal. Thanks a lot for any input.

I've found the answer to my own questioin.

It's at this website in paragraph #16:

http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Topic/AgrE...S_COW_MILK.html

"The protein composition of cow and goat milk is fairly similar, although the typical major alpha-s-1 casein in cow milk is absent in goat milk and the formation of casein curd under rennin action is different."

This is actually a very interesting article that campares goat and cows milk. After reading, it kind of makes me think that everyone should be using goat instead of cow milk.

Have you tried rice or soy milk ? All three of my kids were dx w/ milk protein allergies long before they were dx w/celiac disease and did well with 1st rice, now soy milk. Silk brand soy milk is much better tasting than cow's milk in my opinion.

We did not consider goat's milk because I had heard that the proteins were similar to cow's milk proteins.

Lorraine