This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Adrenal Gland Burn Out

rachellek

rachellek Rookie

Well, two weeks ago I began my "gluten challenge" and only lasted about four days before becoming so ill that I phoned my gastroenterologist to tell him my symptoms. I thought it was a little funny that he said he would "allow" me to discontinue the gluten. Like I need his permission :lol: Anyway, a week and a half later I continue to experience hypoglycemia after eating anything. And for the last three days I'm sure that I'm back into adrenal gland burnout...one of the first things I experiened 8 months ago which caused me to evaluate my diet and determine that wheat was a problem.

Well, my question is -is this unique to my body or do many of you experience adrenal gland symptoms when you get glutened. . . ie... surges of adrenaline when you wake up in the morning or get a little scared say while driving etc.(I literally wake up like a siren is going off in my head...I almost hit the ceiling and then I feel so shaky I could fall over) A feeling of absolute exhaustion in the morning and early afternoon, dizziness, lightheadedness, forgetfullness... Not a lot of fun let me tell ya on top of all my abdominal syptoms which are still hanging around. This from only a few cookies, a chicken nugget and some breaded fries.

I'll make it through, right? I will be healthy again, right?

Rachelle :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elye Community Regular

Hey, Rachelle,

Have you actually had adrenal gland malfunction diagnosed? Because those symptoms you've attributed to adrenaline overload are exactly those that I am experiencing when I have an insulin reaction--low blood sugar (I'm a long-term type one diabetic). You mentioned that you have had hypoglycemic issues, so that in fact may be what it all is, and not related to adrenaline. I know that the early morning, when you say you have these symptoms, is a very common time for hypoglycemics to experience low blood sugar, and a sudden scare can also cause BS to plummet. Just a thought.... :)

rachellek Rookie
Hey, Rachelle,

Have you actually had adrenal gland malfunction diagnosed? Because those symptoms you've attributed to adrenaline overload are exactly those that I am experiencing when I have an insulin reaction--low blood sugar (I'm a long-term type one diabetic). You mentioned that you have had hypoglycemic issues, so that in fact may be what it all is, and not related to adrenaline. I know that the early morning, when you say you have these symptoms, is a very common time for hypoglycemics to experience low blood sugar, and a sudden scare can also cause BS to plummet. Just a thought.... :)

Well, as far as diagnosis goes, I feel like I've been doing alot of that on my own with the help of a naturopath. so, yes 8 months ago according to him I was in complete adrenal burnout, now in the last few months I've been experiencing hypoglycemia symptoms so, I went to my gp and explained to him. He recommended my getting a glucometer and test. I've been testing anytime I feel the classic symptoms and it's usually a few hours after eating. I feel like my heart's racing and very dizzy, then I crash and need to have a nap. Once I even felt like my eyes were all hot and blurry, I thought I might pass out, even had tunnel vision. Well, I tested and my glucose was 4.5 mmol/L. He said that this number wasn't low enough even though I had eaten a full meal and a chocolate bar. I feel like I'm on my own and am sure that I do need an endocrinologist but he said he wouldn't send me unless the numbers showed it. I asked him if he felt my adrenal gland symptoms may constitute sending me and he said he had no proof of that either. I'm getting very frustrated. So, because my glucose isn't that low, I'm feeling that my adrenal gland may be the problem most of the time, but in some instances, I know that I am becoming hypoglycemic as well. Does that sound right to you? I am trying to be better about my sugar intake, but thought that I should be a little reckless in order to have proof to show him. GACK, this is driving me crazy! Why can't my body just be normal? :angry::angry::angry:

loraleena Contributor

I am about to get my adrenals checked. I am going to have a morning and evening cortisal test done. Adrenal dysfunction can cause blood sugar issues, which I have among many other things. I'll keep you posted.

rachellek Rookie
I am about to get my adrenals checked. I am going to have a morning and evening cortisal test done. Adrenal dysfunction can cause blood sugar issues, which I have among many other things. I'll keep you posted.

Now, I must be doing something wrong, my doctor just isn't listening to me. How did you get your doctor to order these tests? Was it his idea, did you tell him" I think something's wrong with my adrenal gland"? Help me here, I don't know how to approach doctors anymore.

Sounds like you're on the right track and I wouldn't be surprised that your results would be abnormal, when I first became aware that I had a problem (not even suspecting celiac) my adrenal gland was the main problem, my abdominal symptoms were undercontrol then.

Good luck,

Rachelle

elye Community Regular

This is really interesting...we're kind of into a chicken and egg thing, here, because I have always understood that blood sugar issues cause adrenal problems. Hmmmm...I wonder if it really matters which causes which, except that if you address the hypoglycemia and get it under control, your adrenal gland will begin to function properly. That has always been my line of thinking...

Rachelle, there can be a margin of error with blood testing machines. I've had many, many years of experience with many brands. I know intimately how I feel when I'm having an insulin reaction, and many times in the past I have tested and I've been, say. 4.5 to 5. This technically is not considered low enough to start the shaking, sweats and racing heartbeat, but that was what was happening with me! So when this happens I don't kid around--I listen to my body and eat. Something to think about when you test. Some machines are better, more reliable and user-friendly than others. The Ascensia Breeze is my latest model, and it seems very accurate.

debbiewil Rookie
Now, I must be doing something wrong, my doctor just isn't listening to me. How did you get your doctor to order these tests? Was it his idea, did you tell him" I think something's wrong with my adrenal gland"? Help me here, I don't know how to approach doctors anymore.

Good luck,

Rachelle

Rachelle, it is possible to order the tests yourself. Of course, then the insurance won't pay for it. But maybe if you had the tests, you could get the referral to the endo. I got my test myself from Open Original Shared Link

It was a package that did the adrenal hormones cortisol and DHEA, thyroid TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and estrogen, progesterone and testosterone for $141.00 Oh, and it's a saliva test, so you don't have to worry about finding a lab to get blood drawn.

I think there are other places as well, where you can just get specific tests. You can order it yourself unless you live in New York State, which doesn't allow self ordered tests.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mabc Apprentice

Hi Rachelle,

I became very ill with symptoms like you describe and had the same trouble with doctors. They are good at what they know, but nutrition issues and body chemistry, they just dont' seem to be able to help. I can't get any doctor to help either. I have hypoglycemia and I have learned that if your blood sugar drops too rapidly, even if it reads normal, you can have the same symptoms. The symptoms don't care about the number but are telling you it's too fast of a drop. It's just as bad to drop too rapidly.

If I get a scare my blood sugar crashes from the adrenal rush too. Also if I drink water without food, for some reason. For me I have to constantly be snacking, at least every 1 1/2 hours. Any longer and my blood sugar drops. I've been trying to snack on something with carbs and protein every time. If I get too much of either one it messes me up. Cottage cheese and fruit works good. Nuts and a few raisins (not too many cause raisins are so high in sugar). Sometimes I just drink pop, though I know it isn't recommended and probably causes me more problems later, but it gets me through the moment. I just can't get my blood sugar high enough to feel okay most of the time - so soda pop does that for me and I feel like a person for awhile anyway. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have been sooo frightened at times by the lack of control I have over my own body. I began 8 years ago so sick I thought I was dying and couldn't get any real help from doctors. I believe time and patience and listening to your body very carefully, getting regular snacks, and not overexerting yourself (pace) will help you get some kind of balance again.

The emotional response I have to doctors not helping me also contributes to my health I think, so I had to stop trying to get them to understand for now. Maybe taking a break from that emotional trauma could help you if you feel it is something they can't/won't treat.

Melodi

loraleena Contributor

I go to an alternative medical facility that has MD's as well as other types of natural doctors. They combine natural and typical medicines. Also my regular MD will do any test I request, because he is very open minded and knows how much research I do. If your doc won't test than find someone else. Or, research about adrenal dysfunction and bring him the info. I have had saliva tests done, but they were inconclusive, so now I am having blood work. It is also possible to have tests and still have a problem, just like thyroid issues. Good luck.

Archived