Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ok so you know how we can just randomly form food intollrencis for whatever reason, what about pet allergies? i used to have a cat about 7 months ago and did not have problems, my girlfriend wants to get me a new cat for my birthday next week but i was wondering if you can randomly form a pet dander problem like should i go to afriends house with cats and play with them alot to find out or what?? i dont wanna get the cat and then find out she makse me sick

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You can develop allergies at any time. I am severely allergic to both cats and dogs, but I have two cats. For some people (not all) they can build up tolerances to allergens (that's how allergy shots work). I've built up a tolerance for my own cats, but other people's animals get my allergies going. Mostly dogs, though.

When we got the new cat, I was allergic to her for a few days and then built up a tolerance. :)

If you already have a cat and don't have problems, you'll probably be ok.

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Chances are, if you had a cat before, you'll be fine with a new one. Of course, allergies can develop at any time (like Chelsea said). I tested highly positive to cats about 12 years ago. I ignored the doctor's advice to either give up my cat, or take shots. I had another round of allergy tests done this past Feb. I am now only slightly allergic to cat, but highly allergic to dust mites (they didn't even register before). I still have my cat, and to my knowledge, he has never caused me to react.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I'm highly allergic to both cats and dogs. I got my dog about a year ago, and my allergies were bad for about 2 weeks with him. Then, I built up a tolerance, and now my allergies aren't bothered in the slightest by him. So, hopefully if you do have a reaction, you'll build up a tolerance quickly.

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

cool cant wait tell tuesday going to human society and getting me my Ki

You'll have to post a picture :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I have been allergic to cats all my life. It is the reaction of their saliva with their dander that causes the allergic reaction. Since every cat has different dander and saliva different cats can affect you in different ways. I have lived with a cat for 2 months that didn't bother me. On the other side of the coin I was around a cat once that affected me in 15 minutes and my eyes swelled shut and I got hives all over. Typically I can be around a cat anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes before my eyes start itching and I get stuffy and sneeze. I also get hives if they rub up against me.

cool cant wait tell tuesday going to human society and getting me my Ki

Glad you are going to the humane society. I am allergic to cats, dogs and birds. I have 4 cats, 1 dog, and a parrotlet. As long as I don't let the cats sleep with me and am obbsesive about washing if I am near the bird or feed him I am fine. My little dog would die if he couldn't be at my side 24 - 7 but so far he doesn't bother me. Have fun with your new kitty, if you work long hours you might want to consider 2.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Both my mom and myself have had severe cat allergies all of our lives. About 6 years ago, a stray cat adopted us. I have only have only had a few reactions from her, and they were all within the first 2 months of being with her (she does stay outside to reduce the risk of reacting). However, all other cats cause me to have wheezing/asthma attacks, bumps on the inside of my eyelids, and my skin peels and burns if they lick me.

I am the same way with dogs that spend most of their time indoors. I have an outside (mostly) dog (his pic is my current avatar), and I don't react to him (or any of our past dogs). But, I have bad allergies to most other dogs (especially indoor dogs).

Have fun with your new pet!!!

Danielle

Diagnosed with Celiac 1/3/06 at age 20

Also dairy free and soy light

Guardian to 3 boys, ages 4, 3, and 2 who are gluten-free, df, corn free, and soy light