• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Smunkeemom

Chicken Fried Steak

Rate this topic

Until a few weeks ago, my gluten free chicken fried steak was great (for those not from the South US, it's cubed steak breaded and fried)

however, hubby has recently figured out (through the elimination diet) that he is lactose intolerant, which messes up my whole egg/milk mixture that I dip the steak in to make the flour stick.

I tried it with egg only the other day and my breading fell off in the grease. <_<

I need a dairy free solution before Sunday, because hubby has requested Chicken fried steak for his Father's day dinner.

HELP!!!!!!!!

I use Vance's Dari Free when I "bread" chicken (with potato flakes)--it comes out the same as if I'd used milk. Also, since you mix the Vance's up yourself, you can make it thicker for some things.

Our family recipe just involves dredging. We don't use a liquid batter at all! Just season what ever flour you're using, coat the cube steaks, and fry! Easy as pie...haven't tried it gluten-free though. I don't see why rice flour wouldn't work.

We dredge and use 1 part sweet rice flour (the starchy stuff) and 1 part buckwheat. It works really well - rarely does some come off in the grease. We recently started making chicken nuggets with this flour, BUT using buttermilk, so wouldn't work in this situation. Both are good!

Stephanie