This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Utah?

utdan

GFBetsy Rookie

Hey all you Utahns!

We've got another gluten-free cooking class going on tonight at the Provo Macey's. It starts at 7 pm and is free. We're going to do Thanksgiving things - stuffing, rolls, baked apples, and pumpkin custard. It'll be fun, and really yummy! If you want to sign up for the class, just call the Provo Macey's (801-356-3216) and ask the service desk people to add your name to the list. (Or you can just walk in . . . but we get a better food count when people sign up.)

See you!

Betsy

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ang

Betsy,

Any chance we could get a hold of some of those recipes? I am in southern Utah, and the BIG MEAL is at my house this year! I am really going to miss the rolls and stuffing, of course! I wasn't going to try to do anything special for just me, but now my Dad is gluten-free as well.

How did the cooking class go, anyway?

Thanks,

Angie

Sweetfudge Community Regular

check out www.eatingglutenfree.com <--GFBetsy's webpage...has tons of recipes! All very good :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Villanfam
I live in Cedar City...was diagnosed in late February with celiac. Was told about 6 weeks ago that someone in my town was recently diagnosed...but I don't know who!

I live in Cedar City too, but just found out I had Celiacs in Aug. after my father gave me "Living Gluten-Free For Dummies." (Just for some recipes because I told him that I can't eat Pizza or Pasta at all anymore..what luck!) Before I read about Celiacs, I thought it was all in my head. I've had problems with food as long as I can remember. First it was flour tortillas then pizza, bagels, bread, pasta ect. cookies and donuts were last to make me sick. But, I didn't know that it was a disease. My Mom just thought that I ate too fast or something :wacko: LOL. I never saw a Dr. for any of my symptoms, because being in pain after eating was normal to me, it was something I was used to. Also, my sister had some of the the same prob. as I did, so I thought everybody went through it. I was pretty stupid when I look back at it, but I was a kid, how was I to know? Anyway, I pretty much knew as soon as I read the book that I had it, but since I don't have Health Ins. I have never been pos. diagnosed. My kids on the other hand, all had symptoms. My son has Aspergers Syndrome, ADHD, constipated for as long as I can remember and was at the 25th percentile until recently. My Daughter was at the 85th percentile from birth 'till around 7-8 months old when she started to go down to the 5th. Now she is at the 50th. She also was extremely irritable, also constipated all the time, very gassy, just very moody in general. My second daughter is not even on the charts for weight and only at the 25th for height. She too is extremely constipated and has a very distended abdomen, and very gassy. When I took them into the Ped. to be tested for Celiacs, the Dr. did it more to assure me that they did not have it, but then the test's came back Positive. So now, my Mom is going to be tested after a struggle with her Dr. Even though she told her Dr. that her one daughter and all three grandchildren have it. Dr. told her it's not a big deal because it's not like she's going to have more children...WHAT?!... :o ...are you serious lady? My Mom then asked if she should be worried about intestinal lymphoma especially being over 50, and the Dr. had the nerve of saying "No, no, shouldn't be a problem."...Yeesh

To imagine, that she was my Dr. as a child and also delivered my son. Very scary. Anywho, that was my rant. I do feel better now that I've gotten that out there, thanks :D

Guest Ang

I'm glad to hear you finally have an answer to your pains. I, too, thought my symptoms were all in my head for a long time. Especially when the MDs dismiss your symptoms. I was tested to "rule it out." By the time I had to scope to check for sure, the gastroenterologist said my small intestine was paper thin.

I also have kids, and their blood tests are good, for now. I will have them tested every 3-5 years to make sure. We are also slowly moving everyone away from a gluten-heavy based diet. At this point, I would rather have everyone snack on potato chips than crackers and pretzels. Funny how your perspective of "healthy" changes, eh?

Good luck to you and all your family...do you cook a lot? I have found that to be a saving grace, because there are lots of recipes (tried and true) to be found on this site and lots of others. There are also lots of good cookbooks available.

I know of several other celiacs in Cedar City, and could give you some advice on eating out. For example, the Pastry Pub (I'm lucky enough to go to lunch there today!) has a lot of things you can eat. The owner's wife is "gluten intolerant." Anyway, the chicken tostadas are OK, and all the salad dressings except the asian one are OK. The rice noodles are NOT OK!! They have a flour coating. Anyway, ask Cyrus if you have any questions when you are there.

I'm an optimist, so I'll tell you that I think having celiac is NOT the end of the world...there are so many other worse things. Besides, you still get to eat M&M's and Snickers!!

Angie

Guest Villanfam
I'm glad to hear you finally have an answer to your pains. I, too, thought my symptoms were all in my head for a long time. Especially when the MDs dismiss your symptoms. I was tested to "rule it out." By the time I had to scope to check for sure, the gastroenterologist said my small intestine was paper thin.

I also have kids, and their blood tests are good, for now. I will have them tested every 3-5 years to make sure. We are also slowly moving everyone away from a gluten-heavy based diet. At this point, I would rather have everyone snack on potato chips than crackers and pretzels. Funny how your perspective of "healthy" changes, eh?

Good luck to you and all your family...do you cook a lot? I have found that to be a saving grace, because there are lots of recipes (tried and true) to be found on this site and lots of others. There are also lots of good cookbooks available.

I know of several other celiacs in Cedar City, and could give you some advice on eating out. For example, the Pastry Pub (I'm lucky enough to go to lunch there today!) has a lot of things you can eat. The owner's wife is "gluten intolerant." Anyway, the chicken tostadas are OK, and all the salad dressings except the asian one are OK. The rice noodles are NOT OK!! They have a flour coating. Anyway, ask Cyrus if you have any questions when you are there.

I'm an optimist, so I'll tell you that I think having celiac is NOT the end of the world...there are so many other worse things. Besides, you still get to eat M&M's and Snickers!!

Angie

Thanks for the info. on the Pastry Pub!! I am so excited. We have not eaten out since we found out in August. It will be nice to be able to, if I want.

I do cook a lot only because I have to now LOL. It's not so bad but I run out of ideas. I will have to start looking for some recipes on here. Thank you so much again.

How long did you have symptoms before you were diagnosed? When I look back, I think I was about 8 or 9 when I first started noticing that I threw up after I ate every once in a while. Especially after eating Taco Bell burritos or pizza.

Guest Ang

I have had "weird" symptoms and medical oddities on and off since puberty. I guess the official thinking is that my third pregnancy finally triggered my full-blown celiac disease.

I work at the hospital, and slowly but surely I'm trying to spread the word to coworkers, so maybe some people will be tested sooner than later. I can't tell you how many people I see coming through for labwork related to giarrdia, IBS, blah blah blah....everything they thought I had. What's the harm in adding one more test? I know cost is an issue, but the benefit seems to outweigh a $90 test!

Feel free to PM me; I'd love to meet you and share recipes and tips. There's a support group in Washington county that I belong to, and I've been to a few of those meetings.

Have you seen Dr. Kadu in St. George? He's a pediatric gastroenterologist, and he just gave a presentation on celiac at our last meeting in November. He was really amiable, and I bet he'd be a good resource for your children.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFBetsy Rookie

Sorry I missed your question, Ang. I'm not sure how that happened, as I was checking the boards very frquently last month . . . but I'm sorry anyway!

As Sweetfudge said, we post all our class recipes on www.eatingglutenfree.com.

By the way . . . when you are in St. George, you may want to check out the store called Water 2 Go. I understand they've got quite a selection of gluten free foods.

Welcome!

Guest Ang

I found the great pie crust recipe for the big T-day. My family raved about it. It actually seemed to hold up better for the leftovers, too!

I have tried the Water store...he does have a good selection and good prices. The Harmons is also valuable. I found out our local health foods store will order bulk flours. I need to get through what I have, and then I think I'll go that route, to get my own favorite mixtures. I'll share it with my mom, and store everything in the freezer. They last a while that way, right?

GFBetsy Rookie
I found the great pie crust recipe for the big T-day. My family raved about it. It actually seemed to hold up better for the leftovers, too!

I have tried the Water store...he does have a good selection and good prices. The Harmons is also valuable. I found out our local health foods store will order bulk flours. I need to get through what I have, and then I think I'll go that route, to get my own favorite mixtures. I'll share it with my mom, and store everything in the freezer. They last a while that way, right?

You do need to store brown rice flour, soy flour, and other flours that have higher fat contents in the freezer, but potato starch and tapioca starch store well at room temp.

• 3 weeks later...
lilaclissa Newbie

Hey folks, I am from Utah as well. I live in Saouth Salt Lake but will be moving to Tayllorsville, WVC city area in the next month. I am not mormon so don't know what you guys are talking about sometimes but thought I would say hi.

Melissa

welcome Melissa! Don't mind our mormon lingo :) We're glad to have you here in the forums. Are you diagnosed? Just lookin'? Just bored? lol anyway, welcome again!

GFBetsy Rookie

Melissa -

Wanted to say hello as well! And don't be intimidated by the mormon discussions . . . it just happens to be something that some of us have in common. What we ALL have in common, though, is celiac . . . so join in whenever you want! We're happy to meet another friend!

suzannabanana Newbie

Hey there. I am in the Salt Lake valley and also not a ward member. I understand the lingo but have to admit I wish the posters would steer away from including that type of info. It

GFBetsy Rookie

Again, I don't think any of us intended to alienate anyone . . . we just had questions/answers about a topic that some of us have in common. I think it shows up in this thread because everyone knows that the LDS faith is based in Utah . . . so the initial supposition (of many people) is that "if you are from Utah, you are a Mormon". And about 50% of the time it turns out to be accurate. Of course, the other 50% can get pretty tired of hearing about it!

Don't know much about Enterolab personally . . . a lot of people on the board put a lot of stock in it, but I don't think I personally would use them.

As far as an elimination diet goes, I think that once you've learned the ropes of how to deal with eliminating a common food (like gluten or casien) it's a lot easier to eliminate another food . . . just because you already know how to read all the labels, etc. It really does help to find a friend who has already tried it - they can help you make those initial steps. Try starting a thread on elimination diets. . . or you might try using the search bar at the top of the webpage to just search this site for the term "elimination diet". I've never read any of the elimination diet topics, but I'm almost positive I've seen some. Try searching for "paleo diet" as well . . . I think that is short for "paleolithic" diet, and refers to eating like a caveman - very few foods. I think. (Silly name, eh?)

And, in case anyone is interested, there will be a gluten free cooking class at the Provo Macey's tonight. It starts at 7 pm, and we will be teaching gluten free bread and cinnamon rolls (that actually taste like real cinnamon rolls!). The class is free . . . just call Macey's to let them know you are coming. Their phone number is (801) 356-3216.

Have a great day!

justjane Rookie

hey guys,

i haven't been on here in a long time, with moving and everything. i'm living in provo now.

sorry to all who have felt left out because of the ward lingo, it just happens, espcecially since some of us are members.

we all have a health problem, and that is what brings us together. i don't have celiac, but i do have a gluten intollerance and possibly casein intollerance as well. i'm just trying to feel better and healthier, and hopefully you are as well. we are not trying to weed people out. we accept all people. i hope that we can do a better job of including people and not making them feel isolated.

i welcome all the new people, as i have slacked in coming to the forum quite a bit... but... i'm trying to be better and to come more often!

suzannabanana, i really think elimination diets are wonderful. the trick is that you only introduce one food at a time every two weeks. if we can help, we'd love to.

good luck.

oooh, i'm glad i logged on today! i was wondering when the next class was gonna be! i hope the snow doesn't make it difficult to get there :)

GFBetsy Rookie

Sweetfudge -

Sorry you didn't make it to the class. The roads were quite slick, though, so I completely understand. We should be posting the cinnamon roll recipe on our website soon, so just check in occasionally. They were really good!

Betsy

• 1 month later...
GFBetsy Rookie

Just wanted to let all you utahn's (what a weird word!) know that we'll be teaching another gluten free cooking class at the Provo Macey's in March. (I forget the exact date right now, but I'll try to post it later). We're going to be making gluten free Oreo's. It shocks me how close they are to the original! I haven't made them into gluten free cookies and creme ice cream yet, because my kids eat them as soon as they are done, but that's the next step. Yum!

Again, the classes are free, just sign up at the service desk so we know how much food to buy.

• 2 weeks later...
Reader Newbie

Hey, Did anyone catch this cafe review in the SL Tribune today?

Has anyone eaten here? I am not into food fads (like the raw food diet that this cafe specializes in), however...it appears to be completely gluten-free and some of the recipes listed look good!

Here is the link to the article.

Open Original Shared Link

aorona Rookie

[

As for the sacrament....I'm not the best person to respond to this question. When I was younger, my mom brought a peice of my rice bread (that I hated and soon had her stop making) to church... we had our own tray and my whole family ate it (poor them!). As I got older...and hated being so different...I made her stop doing that. Ever since then I just eat the piece of bread. I've never had a reaction from it... even when other small amounts of something can make me sick. (Though, generally, I'm not that sensitive in my reaction.) Who knows if it's actually doing damage or if the Lord is "protecting" me? *shrugs* So, don't take my advice and do the same thing...just in case! :)

• 1 month later...
utdan Apprentice

Hello fellow Utahns!

It's been a long time since I've posted on this website, but thought I'd just say hi. I've found a couple really good restaurants to eat at since my 1 and 1/2 year stay in this state:

Las Tarascas - Provo

I've only ordered the "Enchiladas Rojas" with chicken but it's a really tasty meal, especially with the seasoned side potatoes that comes with it. I've ordered this dish about nine times so far and have not had one reaction yet!

The Bombay House - Provo

I've only eaten there once but I really want to eat there again soon. I think I had some sort of dish with Lamb and sauce. It was really good too but I did have to specify not to include the type of bread that they usually serve.

Frozen Yogurt - Provo

located right next door to Las Tarascas. It's a nice treat but I would stay away from the toppings.

and of course, there's the larger chain restaurants in Orem: PF Chang's and Outback Steakhouse. Never had any reaction with any of these restuarants.

Does anyone know of anyother good places to eat around here (Salt Lake to Spanish Fork) ?

Hello fellow Utahns!

It's been a long time since I've posted on this website, but thought I'd just say hi. I've found a couple really good restaurants to eat at since my 1 and 1/2 year stay in this state:

Las Tarascas - Provo

I've only ordered the "Enchiladas Rojas" with chicken but it's a really tasty meal, especially with the seasoned side potatoes that comes with it. I've ordered this dish about nine times so far and have not had one reaction yet!

The Bombay House - Provo

I've only eaten there once but I really want to eat there again soon. I think I had some sort of dish with Lamb and sauce. It was really good too but I did have to specify not to include the type of bread that they usually serve.

Frozen Yogurt - Provo

located right next door to Las Tarascas. It's a nice treat but I would stay away from the toppings.

and of course, there's the larger chain restaurants in Orem: PF Chang's and Outback Steakhouse. Never had any reaction with any of these restuarants.

Does anyone know of anyother good places to eat around here (Salt Lake to Spanish Fork) ?

great to know! how are you doing gfdan? here's my fave places to eat:

los hermanos - provo (and af I think)

my husband's friend works here and he told me that they have several gluten-free items. their fajitas are the only thing i can think of at the moment, cuz that's what I usually get. :D best chips and salsa ever!

sizzler - provo/orem

i know it's buffet but I've never had a problem. I always get their 10-oz steak and carefully pick my way through the salad bar.

chick-fil-a - orem

only place i know that has gluten-free fries! And great ones they are! their side salads are yummy too, the ranch is super! the chicken isn't so good, i've gotten that on salads or just plain, and i prefer the first two items only :D

red robin's - provo

gotten glutened here a couple times, i think, but husband loves it. i've gotten the cobb salad before (w/out half the ingreds....), and the steak fajitas (bringing my own corn tortillas, warmed, in foil in my purse). i've also gotten the mushroom burger w/out a bun before, and a side salad. dunno how much i'd want to recommend this place though, depends on the server and cooks.

hm, don't eat out much else other than these places....i'll have to try and take hubby to that mexican place :D oh have you been to carrabbas? they're great and gluten-free :D

• 2 months later...
GFBetsy Rookie

Hello, all! Haven't been on in a while, but just wanted to announce that we are doing another FREE gluten free cooking class at the Provo Macey's grocery store tonight at 7 pm. We're going to be doing an oven fried chicken recipe and a pasta salad.

The classes are held in the little theater (down the hallway by the bank, at the front of the store).

Hello, all! Haven't been on in a while, but just wanted to announce that we are doing another FREE gluten free cooking class at the Provo Macey's grocery store tonight at 7 pm. We're going to be doing an oven fried chicken recipe and a pasta salad.

The classes are held in the little theater (down the hallway by the bank, at the front of the store).

aww, i haven't been online in awhile. i totally would have gone. how did the chicken turn out? and oooh, what kind of pasta salad. i'd love to have the recipes!

how've you been by the way?

Archived