This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Planters Nuts

beelzebubble

beelzebubble Contributor

i just ate planters cashews and am having a gluten reaction, exactly 45 minutes after eating-like i always do. can anyone tell me if planters has a problem with contamination?

bubble

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terri Contributor

Sorry to hear you're feeling ill. If the cashews were dry roasted then they could have been dusted with flour. That might have caused your reaction.

Terri

celiac3270 Collaborator

I don't know if they have a problem...I've tried their peanuts....and got sick, but then again, it might very well have been the usual symptoms........I don't know, but I haven't had a peanut in a long time. Feel better.

-celiac3270

Boojca Apprentice

Ok here's the scoop. I called Planters yesterday bc you all had me freaked out bc I've been feeding this to my newly diagnosed son. Turns out Planters and Nabisco are both Kraft companies, so their labels follow the same guidelines as any Kraft product. Ie, if something contains an allergen it will say so. The example the guy on the phone gave me was "If it says Natural Flavoring and that flavoring comes from a wheat source it will say (wheat) in paranthesis" So, if it doesn't say it it doesn't have it!

But, if you are still in doubt, I guess just don't eat it. I personally can't eat their dry roasted peanuts bc they have some flavor coating that doesn't agree with my stomach (and I dont' have celiac disease) but they have roasted peanuts that are cooked in oil and are lightly salted that I LOVE.

Good luck! Bridget

terri Contributor

Thanks Bridget! I have a pack here at work in my drawer and now I won't be nervous munching them!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Bridget-

Thanks for the info. I have emailed them countless times and have never gotten responses back!! I appreciate knowing.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yep...that's what I was told when I called about Crystal Light (also made by Kraft). I didn't know that Planters were made by Kraft, though....cause the only peanuts I had weren't made by them...thanks for clarifying that.

-celiac3270

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Boojca Apprentice

I was psyched too! About the nuts, but also bc I found out that Nabisco is a Kraft company and follows their labeling standards as well. Makes it sooo much easier to trust the labels when you know they are clear! YEAH Kraft (Nabisco and Planters)!!!!

Bridget

• 6 months later...
beelzebubble Contributor

just thought you all would like to know that i figured out what the problem is. it's not gluten, it's cashews. man, that sucks. i LOVE cashews. sigh. at least i can still eat almonds.

bubble

edit: mispelled cashews. cashoes anyone?

Guest jhmom

I cant eat cashews either :angry: and I LOVE them!!!! But like you bubble I can eat peanuts and almonds!

• 2 years later...
maggie5 Newbie
i just ate planters cashews and am having a gluten reaction, exactly 45 minutes after eating-like i always do. can anyone tell me if planters has a problem with contamination?

bubble

The package of Planters cashews does not say that it contains wheat but both my son and I (both with celiac) feel dreadful with headaches and nausea about 1 hour after eating.

lorka150 Collaborator

maggie, this thread is from 3 years ago - just so you know.

Archived