This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation

Moongirl

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

It probably depends on what you're eating. I read this great site once about IBS and it talked about the 3 components to ease of movement through the bowels: fiber, water, oil. If you are lacking in any of them, the whole system doesn't work properly.

Another site I looked at talked about the possibility that brain signals to the intestines might be different in IBS folks - like slower or something. I think the first half of my digestion is very fast (always hungry, etc.), but the second half is much slower.

Anyway, my C has improved with brown rice and fibrous veggies, but not gone away entirely. I think the activated charcoal is already helping with the bloating though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bremac Apprentice
So i went to my Dr today.....he thought I might have appenedisitis!!! :o He was only taking precautions he sent me for a CT scan.....good news i dont have it!

kinda bad news im not sure whats causing the pain and nausea? its not so much a pain but that dull achy pressure....it could be related to the C that I have had recently....but even with that going away, i still have nausea..i dont get it!? :blink: i used to have this before dx, but not so much with the nausea....since i started the diet it totally went away, this is the first time in about 8 months ive felt it again!! so annoying!

The poor poor appendix. Mine's been suspected of foul play about 4 times (turned out to be kidney failure, pancreatitis, etc...*rolls eyes*) My roommate and I always joke that if I ever DO get appendicitis I won't believe it. ;-)

I get pain in my lower to upper right side too when I'm constipated. Not to be disgustingly graphic, but if I press down around there I can FEEL the poop. It's like it gets stuck there (that is the ascending colon so it has to travel up and then turn...) My GI doc thinks I also have some IBS. Taking Metamucil helps me for the C, and Equalactin helps with the D. People witih celiac disease are more prone to IBS. I also get bad tummy cramps and nausea sometimes, usually if I eat too much grainy stuff (gluten free granola did me in the last time:( )

Hope that info helped someone. :)

Moongirl Community Regular
The poor poor appendix. Mine's been suspected of foul play about 4 times (turned out to be kidney failure, pancreatitis, etc...*rolls eyes*) My roommate and I always joke that if I ever DO get appendicitis I won't believe it. ;-)

I get pain in my lower to upper right side too when I'm constipated. Not to be disgustingly graphic, but if I press down around there I can FEEL the poop. It's like it gets stuck there (that is the ascending colon so it has to travel up and then turn...) My GI doc thinks I also have some IBS. Taking Metamucil helps me for the C, and Equalactin helps with the D. People witih celiac disease are more prone to IBS. I also get bad tummy cramps and nausea sometimes, usually if I eat too much grainy stuff (gluten free granola did me in the last time:( )

Hope that info helped someone. :)

Thanks for all your advice....I am convinced it is due to my C....cause everytime I do go....i almost feel a pressure being lifted off my abs...does that make sense?!? i am taking a citrucel tablet twice a day...and eating as much fiber as i can...right now the nausea went away still have a little side pressure but not too bad...well at least its not the appendix :rolleyes:

jenvan Collaborator
There are a lot of replies on here so sorry if this is a duplicate but I too have had bad C since childhood.

To keep regular I need to take metamucil 3 times a day. I took the magnesium in the past and it did help but I had to take so much (2 capsules twice daily) that is sort of scared me. Senokot also helps if really bad.

I have been gluten-free for 1 1/2 months and CF for 2 weeks. Does anyone know if the C will clear up after a while - will the gut heal at some point and start moving again?

Mia

Mia-

I also always had C pre-gluten-free. I would say that it took a few months for me to improve, but as a rule I am pretty regular now. I do take psyllium on occasion when needed though--maybe a few times a month. I would expect you to definitely notice improvement in that area, however, 1 1/2 wks is not long. I also had to give up dairy b/c that causes C for me. Dairy induced C can affect me for a few weeks. So I would say based on the experiences of people here that you will notice improvement in the C, however, it may be a few more months before you really start noticing. And you may always have more of a tendency towards C, but a mere tendency is easily managed. Good for investigating the dairy--that's a big C culprit for many.

Mia H Explorer
Mia-

I also always had C pre-gluten-free. I would say that it took a few months for me to improve, but as a rule I am pretty regular now. I do take psyllium on occasion when needed though--maybe a few times a month. I would expect you to definitely notice improvement in that area, however, 1 1/2 wks is not long. I also had to give up dairy b/c that causes C for me. Dairy induced C can affect me for a few weeks. So I would say based on the experiences of people here that you will notice improvement in the C, however, it may be a few more months before you really start noticing. And you may always have more of a tendency towards C, but a mere tendency is easily managed. Good for investigating the dairy--that's a big C culprit for many.

Thank you, that gives me hope. I have actually been off the gluten one and a half months (not weeks) and off casein (dairy) for 2 weeks. I think even now there is small improvement. I haven't had to do La Mas recently to get it out. :blink:

Mia

evie Rookie

Bremac; What is equilac? I had C most of my life but D started a year before I started gluten free eating. after getting over big D not too long ago I was back to C, bit looser right now & hoping is not going into a problem. Just thought if I knew what your remedy was it might come in handy sometime. Good luck to you in your search for better health like all the rest of us Celiac's. :lol: evie

jenvan Collaborator
Thank you, that gives me hope. I have actually been off the gluten one and a half months (not weeks) and off casein (dairy) for 2 weeks. I think even now there is small improvement. I haven't had to do La Mas recently to get it out. :blink:

Mia

Oops--I knew it was months, but wrote weeks for some reason... Duh ! :) Definitely have hope about the improvement. Also, I recommend just plain natural psyllium husks too if you think the Metamucil isn't as effective. (Even though it contains psyllium I have noticed a difference).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lindalee Enthusiast
So unlike most of you with celiac disease, i have to deal with C more so then D.

The C comes and goes, but Im at the end of my stick what to do when I do get it. I drink water (when I remember and have time) I eat a good amount of veggies...

Any other advise would be great, i hate getting that stuffed up feeling!!! :ph34r:

PS how long (typically) does C last? Or when do I have to worry about it....

Moongirl, I am trying to figure these catagories out myself. Dr. Nancy Appleton,PHD wrote a book, "Lick the Sugar Habit" She talks about how sugar causes a multitude of symptoms one being constipation and bloating. She said sugar upsets our body chemistry and suppresses our immune system, causes inflamation, upsets our mineral balance etc. A can of sport drink has about 54 grams in half the can, the amount of sugar in our products is unbelievable. Basically what she says and we all know is cutting sugar improves our health. She is doing a documentary called "Sweet Suicide" that she will let us know when it will air if we email her. Her web is www.nancyappleton.com. I love chocolate myself. She has a sugar counter and gum to help get off it. Epson Salt has magnesium in it and also is a relaxing bath. I find those help. Hope you get better. LindaLee :)

dwaters800 Rookie

The constipation was also my main problem. I can say that now my digestion is perfect! What I discovered is that although it is tempting to replace the wheat in your diet with all sorts of yummy gluten free bread, deserts, pasta, brownies, and cake, etc., these things are likely to cause problems because they are high glycemic and over processed. It is much healthier to concentrate on eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, diary, and protein and save the carby, grainy stuff for an occasional treat. Although I feel fantastically better off of wheat, my constipation did not truly go away until after I swore off all grains. Maybe you could try this for about a month and see if it helps. All the fiber and water would not touch my constipation. Dr. Joseph Mercola has written several excellent books explaining why all grains should be eliminated from the diet. Good luck!

Ginny

Archived