This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mrs. May's

Guest cassidy

Guest cassidy

Someone just posted that Mrs. May's is no longer gluten-free. I have posted a lot about how great I think they are, so now I just want to make sure that this is known.

The bags never said gluten-free, so I went to their website when I found them a few months ago. The website clearly said gluten-free. I have been eating tons of them. I would say a bag or two a week.

Then, when someone mentioned that they are no longer gluten-free I called the company. They said they recently changed and the rice malt has gluten in it, but just a little. They said they can't call them gluten-free anymore but that it is only a trace amount of gluten. They said they just changed suppliers a few months ago.

I am very sensitive, I don't eat anything that could be cross contaminated because I always get sick. So, I'm wondering if I have bags that were made before the ingredient change, or if the trace amount of gluten isn't enough to bother me?

I eat all my lunches in the car and this was a staple for me. I am definitely mourning the loss of my Mrs May's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

Well that stinks. I used to eat them all the time because they were a filling snack. Thanks for letting us know.

skbird Contributor

And I just remembered them recently. Darn!

Bummer!

Stephanie

dionnek Enthusiast

That sucks! I just discovered them :(

momandgirls Enthusiast

Hi - Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I was the one who posted about Mrs. May's. The earlier bags I had bought definitely said gluten free and then I noticed, about a month later, that they did not. That's when I called the company. I haven't bought any since finding out that they can no longer be certain they aren't gluten free.

debmidge Rising Star

I had this issue with them about a year ago....called them and they confirmed that they were gluten-free, but the gluten-free statement on bags were missing....and gluten-free Mall was still selling them as gluten-free. I thought that "it was me" that "I was missing something in this translation here." Obviously my instincts were right. We stopped buying them last summer.....

I believe they are packed in China so anything could be in there...maybe they were never gluten-free in the first place...

jenvan Collaborator

That flippin' sucks. :angry:

Sorry :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I emailed the company yesterday. Maybe if everyone that liked them sends and email they will start using gluten-free rice malt again. It is worth a try.

dionnek Enthusiast

I emailed them this morning - I was thinking about the same thing (the more people that contact them, the more chance we'll have of getting them to listen).

mamaw Community Regular

What's wrong with these companys? gluten-free free then screwing everyone up and putting gluten in it... I never read the label and just bought seven bags while I was away. Dam. Thanks for being the bearer of bad news but it saved all of my family from getting sick so truly I say thank you. I too will e-mail the idots. I really get pissed when companys do that.Can't they see they lose business?

arrrrghhhhh

mamaw

Felidae Enthusiast

I was away for a week for work and I brought those as a snack. Now I know why I was sick. What a bunch of crap literally. Man, that sucks.

skbird Contributor

I emailed Mrs Mays and got a response:

Stephanie,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We are trying to make our product gluten free again in the future.

Thank you

----- Original Message -----

To: jonathan.son

Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 3:43 PM

Subject: Mrsmays.com customer service

Sender : Stephanie Bird

Subject : product information

Comments : Hello -

I just recently heard that your products are no longer considered Gluten Free. I am very disappointed to hear this - your products are one of my favorite treats. I love your pumpkin seed one the best. I had planned on getting some soon as I will be travelling to Mexico for a few days and was going to take a bunch of your treats with me - they're perfect for a substantial snack.

Please reconsider! I'm really disappointed.

Stephanie

So, hopefully they'll get enough people writing in that they'll continue seeing this as a priority. I don't eat a lot of prepared foods, so this is a hit for me. I also saw when I searched the forum for Mrs Mays, I found my own post indicating I'd written them last August 2005 to find if they were gluten free and was told, yes, they were. So I know they were aware at that point of gluten free.

Stephanie

jenvan Collaborator

Thanks Tiffany... They better!!

cmzirkelbach Newbie

After reading this thread, I was surprised to find Mrs. Mays still at Gluten Free Mall, so I emailed them. They responded, saying that Mrs. May's was gluten free and to prove it, here is Mrs. May's phone number.

Naturally I called, and Mrs. Mays confirmed they were no longer recommending their products for people with celiac or gluten intolerance.

So, I emailed the GFM back and with this info. The customer service rep emailed back that they confirmed that Mrs. Mays are not gluten-free, and are taking them off the site.

Whew!

jenvan Collaborator
After reading this thread, I was surprised to find Mrs. Mays still at Gluten Free Mall, so I emailed them. They responded, saying that Mrs. May's was gluten free and to prove it, here is Mrs. May's phone number.

Naturally I called, and Mrs. Mays confirmed they were no longer recommending their products for people with celiac or gluten intolerance.

So, I emailed the GFM back and with this info. The customer service rep emailed back that they confirmed that Mrs. Mays are not gluten-free, and are taking them off the site.

Whew!

Good for you!

Suzola Newbie

Thanks for the head's up. I'll check the bags I have. I thought I might have reacted to them last time. Bummer. Someone needs to tell Miss Roben's and other gluten-free suppliers. I think they are still selling them!!!

cmzirkelbach Newbie

Miss Robens has been emailed.

• 1 month later...
FaithInScienceToo Contributor

FINALLY, ONE explanation for why the excess gas came back - I bought them when they said Gluten-free, and assumed they still were - I am SO upset that the Gluten-free Mall didn't even know!

The open 'emergency bag' in my car will have to go - back to trail mix that I make myself -

I have become too complacent about keeping myself gluten-free. It's going to take continual vigilance when it comes to purchasing ANY 'prepared' foods -

PS -Hiya to the other 'old-timers' on here... thank God this place is here! I ended up 'back here' when I Googled "Rice Malt" today, after seeing it listed as a main ingredient on a package of mixed variety Mrs. Mays I bought yesterday at Costco - I had been buying only the Almond Crunch, and since I assumed there was no change in that product...(I mean...why would a company go from gluten-free to not?!!!)... I only bothered to check the variety package's ingredients list.

Also...I went ahead and bought it since the previous bags of Mrs. Mays I'd seen all said 'gluten-free,' so I thought that maybe rice malt was actually naturally gluten-free - turns out it typically has barley malt in it!...

The recent Almond Crunch's must have been making me 'gaseous,' and who knows what else it's been doing to me...Oh well ... hope t it's the only 'slip up' I've made lately...

I will have to be MUCH more CAREFUL -

Glad my non-vigilance brought me back to this support group, though :-)

Hope everyone's doing OK - To catch up with me, see my Flickr page:

Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Gina

Glad you popped in for a visit! :)

The pictures are great.

Archived