This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Diagnosed And Learning

Mickey06

Mickey06 Newbie

Hi:

I have just registered to this website hoping that I can get assistance. My 83 year old father has just been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. My family is trying to learn as much as possible while we wait for an appointment to see a nutristionist.

He hasn't really eaten anything due to other aliments. He did eat some organic cookies that had wheat in them. He has had diarrhea now for almost two weeks on and off. I stopped him from eating the cookies immediately when I found out that he was eating them, that was two weeks ago. For some strange reason he is still sick and can not drink any cold liquids such as juice, water, milk, or ensure.

Any foods that he has eatan are Amy's gluten free soups; Enjoy life gluten free cookies; chicken, Potatoes vegetables; 2% Milk, regular Hood Ice cream, Ensure for protein. I am wondering if it could be any of the other foods he is eating. I have checked all condiments, dressings, milk, meats, etc and I thought they were fine.

I would like for him to stop being sick and to get food in his system. Is there anything I can do? Is this normal for a Celiac person to be sick like this for two weeks? Are any of the foods that I have mentioned not good fro him?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amybeth Enthusiast

it may be that his system is so compromised that veggies that are difficult to digest - or dairy products might be giving him a hard time right now.

the plainer the better is probably the best bet for right now....skip out on condiments and go with the basics - bananas, applesauce, some boullion(sp?) broth.......[herb ox is gluten-free]

good luck!

jerseyangel Proficient
Hi:

I have just registered to this website hoping that I can get assistance. My 83 year old father has just been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. My family is trying to learn as much as possible while we wait for an appointment to see a nutristionist.

He hasn't really eaten anything due to other aliments. He did eat some organic cookies that had wheat in them. He has had diarrhea now for almost two weeks on and off. I stopped him from eating the cookies immediately when I found out that he was eating them, that was two weeks ago. For some strange reason he is still sick and can not drink any cold liquids such as juice, water, milk, or ensure.

Any foods that he has eatan are Amy's gluten free soups; Enjoy life gluten free cookies; chicken, Potatoes vegetables; 2% Milk, regular Hood Ice cream, Ensure for protein. I am wondering if it could be any of the other foods he is eating. I have checked all condiments, dressings, milk, meats, etc and I thought they were fine.

I would like for him to stop being sick and to get food in his system. Is there anything I can do? Is this normal for a Celiac person to be sick like this for two weeks? Are any of the foods that I have mentioned not good fro him?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mickey--glad you found us here! Your poor dad, it sounds like he's really getting hit from all sides right now. Let's see how we can help. :)

A gluten incident can last a week or two--or in some cases, even longer. That really varies from person to person. At this point, I would suggest offering him naturally gluten-free foods like lean meat and chicken, cooked veggies, bananas, potatoes, rice, and Cream of Rice. For now, it might be a good idea to avoid dairy--many Celiacs have trouble with dairy for the first few months. It irritates an already irritated system, and the damaged villi can't digest it until more healing takes place. The foods you listed by name look fine--note that some folks have a problem with Amy's products (CC). I don't use them, myself. The Enjoy Life Cookies are a good treat--they are made in a dedicated facility, and taste really good, too. Have you checked the gluten status of the Ensure that he drinks?

Another thing to look at are his personal care products. Those can contain gluten--usually wheat or oats--and can easily find their way into the mouth. I was glutened early on by my hair gel! Check the soap, shaving products, any hand lotion, shampoo, etc.

It's also important to go through the kitchen--colandar, toaster, wooden cutting board and utensils all need to be replaced. Stainless steel cookware is fine--if any non-stick coated pans have scratches, they should also be replaced. Clean the crumbs out of the silverware drawer. Make sure that where his food is prepared, the surface is clean and free of crumbs. I use a lot of foil and plastic wrap.

Finally, check any medications and vitamins he is taking. You can call the pharmasist or the manufacturer.

I hope he begins to feel better soon--keep us posted :)

Mickey06 Newbie
Hi Mickey--glad you found us here! Your poor dad, it sounds like he's really getting hit from all sides right now. Let's see how we can help. :)

A gluten incident can last a week or two--or in some cases, even longer. That really varies from person to person. At this point, I would suggest offering him naturally gluten-free foods like lean meat and chicken, cooked veggies, bananas, potatoes, rice, and Cream of Rice. For now, it might be a good idea to avoid dairy--many Celiacs have trouble with dairy for the first few months. It irritates an already irritated system, and the damaged villi can't digest it until more healing takes place. The foods you listed by name look fine--note that some folks have a problem with Amy's products (CC). I don't use them, myself. The Enjoy Life Cookies are a good treat--they are made in a dedicated facility, and taste really good, too. Have you checked the gluten status of the Ensure that he drinks?

Another thing to look at are his personal care products. Those can contain gluten--usually wheat or oats--and can easily find their way into the mouth. I was glutened early on by my hair gel! Check the soap, shaving products, any hand lotion, shampoo, etc.

It's also important to go through the kitchen--colandar, toaster, wooden cutting board and utensils all need to be replaced. Stainless steel cookware is fine--if any non-stick coated pans have scratches, they should also be replaced. Clean the crumbs out of the silverware drawer. Make sure that where his food is prepared, the surface is clean and free of crumbs. I use a lot of foil and plastic wrap.

Finally, check any medications and vitamins he is taking. You can call the pharmasist or the manufacturer.

I hope he begins to feel better soon--keep us posted :)

Jersey Angel and Amybeth!

Thanks you for your assistance. A lot of your suggestions will be useful.

I was thinking it was probably the the dairy products, do you think he should go lactose free?

Do you think this will Help?

Thanks

Mickey

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Hi Mickey,

To answer your question ,Yes I think it would help your Dad to go Lactose Free (for a while at least)

Alot of coeliacs only discover they don't tolerate milk (lactose) too well when they've gone G.F.

This is to do with the villi lining the bowel.The tips of the villi are responsible for releasing enzymes that allow us to digest lactose (milk sugars).

When you've got celiac disease the tips of your villi are flattened (villous atrophy)-so not enough enzymes to digest the milk.

My husband found this out a short while into the G.F diet after being diagnosed!

Milk used to make his stomach cramp up and he'd get diarrhoea (he'd also get a headache too).

However after a few months of avoiding milk products he now finds he can tolerate it ok-so long as he doesn't go mad!

Hope your Dad is feeling better soon-must be quite hard for him to adjust to being G.F.I know my hubbie struggled at first (and he was 40 yrs at the time).

Good Luck :)

Mickey06 Newbie

Nikki. Amybeth and Patti:

Any suggestions on replacement for lactose milk and ice cream?

Also, I am a little confused as to replacing all his cookware, flatware etc.

Is this relly necessary? he has a dishwasher and they have a really hot degree of water.

Hi Mickey,

To answer your question ,Yes I think it would help your Dad to go Lactose Free (for a while at least)

Alot of coeliacs only discover they don't tolerate milk (lactose) too well when they've gone G.F.

This is to do with the villi lining the bowel.The tips of the villi are responsible for releasing enzymes that allow us to digest lactose (milk sugars).

When you've got celiac disease the tips of your villi are flattened (villous atrophy)-so not enough enzymes to digest the milk.

My husband found this out a short while into the G.F diet after being diagnosed!

Milk used to make his stomach cramp up and he'd get diarrhoea (he'd also get a headache too).

However after a few months of avoiding milk products he now finds he can tolerate it ok-so long as he doesn't go mad!

Hope your Dad is feeling better soon-must be quite hard for him to adjust to being G.F.I know my hubbie struggled at first (and he was 40 yrs at the time).

Good Luck :)

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I'm sure others will chime in on replacement brand ideas for milk and ice cream-but as I'm in the U.K I'm not much help there I'm afraid.

Regarding your pots/pans etc.

All our saucepans are stainless steel so if they are used for cooking any gluten I hand wash them first-then put them in the dishwasher.

I did however replace pans with non stick coating as they can get scratches and gluten gets in them.

You should really replace any wooden chopping boards and wooden spoons though as gluten gets right into them.

Oh and a new toaster is a must!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Nikki. Amybeth and Patti:

Any suggestions on replacement for lactose milk and ice cream?

Also, I am a little confused as to replacing all his cookware, flatware etc.

Is this relly necessary? he has a dishwasher and they have a really hot degree of water.

Mickey--Rice milks are a decent sub. They don't taste the same as milk and are thinner, but a lot of people (and kids) use it. Pacific Foods is one brand. The only brand that I know of that is *not* gluten-free is Rice Dream--it is processed with barley, so beware of that. Almond milk is another sub--it has a more pronounced almond flavor--makes good hot cocoa. If he can tolerate it, Soy milk is another option. For ice cream, Whole Fruit Sorbets are good--and easy to find. Sharon's makes a good sorbet, also. There are other ice cream subs based on rice (Rice Dream) and soy.

It's not necessary to replace flatware or dishes/glasses. Like I said, stainless steel, glass, enamel pans are fine. The only pans to be concerned about are Teflon-type coatings that have scratches--the scratches can hold onto gluten despite washing. Washing dishes in the dishwasher is fine, I always rinse all crumbs etc. off before loading the dishes in. Since gluten is a protein, the heat does not kill it--it has to be washed completely off. :)

powderprincess Rookie

I second the sorbets. Some people who have celiac also avoid soy. Just to rule things out it might be a good idea to stick to sorbets rather than getting products like SoyDelicious, which is a really yummy ice cream substitute. I have quickly grown to love many sorbets.

I hope your dad feels better! What a thing to find out now, it is good he can make some changes to feel better. It is good of you to help him.

Mickey06 Newbie

I want to thank everyone for their responses. All suggestions were a very big help.

My father is now drinking Lactaid milk and ice cream and feels better.

I am reaching out again for assistance with cereal. The gluten free, enjoy life cereals are too hard on his gums, he does not have teeth. Can he eat any of the regular rice and corn cereals, such as corn flakes, rice krispies etc.? Any good suggestions for a hot cereal, he use to love his maple and brown oat meal.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mickey--Rice milks are a decent sub. They don't taste the same as milk and are thinner, but a lot of people (and kids) use it. Pacific Foods is one brand. The only brand that I know of that is *not* gluten-free is Rice Dream--it is processed with barley, so beware of that. Almond milk is another sub--it has a more pronounced almond flavor--makes good hot cocoa. If he can tolerate it, Soy milk is another option. For ice cream, Whole Fruit Sorbets are good--and easy to find. Sharon's makes a good sorbet, also. There are other ice cream subs based on rice (Rice Dream) and soy.

It's not necessary to replace flatware or dishes/glasses. Like I said, stainless steel, glass, enamel pans are fine. The only pans to be concerned about are Teflon-type coatings that have scratches--the scratches can hold onto gluten despite washing. Washing dishes in the dishwasher is fine, I always rinse all crumbs etc. off before loading the dishes in. Since gluten is a protein, the heat does not kill it--it has to be washed completely off. :)

jerseyangel Proficient
I want to thank everyone for their responses. All suggestions were a very big help.

My father is now drinking Lactaid milk and ice cream and feels better.

I am reaching out again for assistance with cereal. The gluten free, enjoy life cereals are too hard on his gums, he does not have teeth. Can he eat any of the regular rice and corn cereals, such as corn flakes, rice krispies etc.? Any good suggestions for a hot cereal, he use to love his maple and brown oat meal.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi Mickey--Good to hear your dad is feeling better! I was wondering how you all were doing :)

About the only cold cereals in the regular grocery store that are gluten-free are Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles! May not be the thing for dad, though! Regular Rice Krispys have malt in them, as do many cereals. Cream of Rice is very good. You can fix it up the same as you would oatmeal--add the brown sugar and maple syrup! Do you have access to a Whole Foods or other health food type store? Erewhon makes a Crispy Rice Cereal. Envirokidz is another brand that makes some good (but flavored) cereals. (Not all Envirokidz are gluten-free) Even when shopping in a health food store, remember to read the labels--some are clearly marked gluten-free, but if not, you have to make sure.

Keep us posted on your dad's progress! :D

Mickey06 Newbie

Thx Patti for getting back to me.

There is a Whole Foods store near by. I can go by and check out the cereals.

He probably won't like any of them. After 80 some odd years of eating what ever you want, changing is going to be hard. I have tried a lot of the Gluten free foods and he doesn't like any of them, and they are very expensive. We are buying this food, he is not eating it and now I don't know what to do with it.

Was just hoping that I could get lucky with a regular cereal that he probably knew.

Thx again and will keep you posted.

Hi Mickey--Good to hear your dad is feeling better! I was wondering how you all were doing :)

About the only cold cereals in the regular grocery store that are gluten-free are Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles! May not be the thing for dad, though! Regular Rice Krispys have malt in them, as do many cereals. Cream of Rice is very good. You can fix it up the same as you would oatmeal--add the brown sugar and maple syrup! Do you have access to a Whole Foods or other health food type store? Erewhon makes a Crispy Rice Cereal. Envirokidz is another brand that makes some good (but flavored) cereals. (Not all Envirokidz are gluten-free) Even when shopping in a health food store, remember to read the labels--some are clearly marked gluten-free, but if not, you have to make sure.

Keep us posted on your dad's progress! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Luvs to Scrap Apprentice
Thx Patti for getting back to me.

There is a Whole Foods store near by. I can go by and check out the cereals.

He probably won't like any of them. After 80 some odd years of eating what ever you want, changing is going to be hard. I have tried a lot of the Gluten free foods and he doesn't like any of them, and they are very expensive. We are buying this food, he is not eating it and now I don't know what to do with it.

Was just hoping that I could get lucky with a regular cereal that he probably knew.

Thx again and will keep you posted.

Whole Foods had gluten-free rice crispies and corn flakes when I was there last weekend. I am not on a gluten-free diet--just my husband and son but i thought they tasted normal. I think it is so ironic that the one cereal that is gluten-free is Fruity Pebbles--my mom never let us eat sugary junk like that when I was growing up :P ! Kendra

• 1 month later...
Mickey06 Newbie
Whole Foods had gluten-free rice crispies and corn flakes when I was there last weekend. I am not on a gluten-free diet--just my husband and son but i thought they tasted normal. I think it is so ironic that the one cereal that is gluten-free is Fruity Pebbles--my mom never let us eat sugary junk like that when I was growing up :P ! Kendra

Kendra:

Can you provide me with the name of the Gluten Free corn flakes. I was a the whole foods and I didn't see it.

Thx

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice
Kendra:

Can you provide me with the name of the Gluten Free corn flakes. I was a the whole foods and I didn't see it.

Thx

First of all, I realized I posted I was at Whole Foods but really I went to Wild Oats. (sorry) The brand of corn flakes I bought was Natures Path Corn Flakes which are sweetened lightly with fruit juice. They also had ones sweetened with honey. Some of the little health food stores in Wichita had them too so I think that if they didn't carry them they would be able to order them. I feel like I am on a treasure hunt every time I go to the health food store. There is gluten-free stuff mixed in with everything else and sometimes it isn't even the same place twice. I don't know if your dad ever had cereal bars but EnviroKiz (a division of Natures Path) has some crispy rice ones that my DS just loves. The very berry ones look the best in my adult opinion. EnviroKidz also makes some gluten-free cereals. I bought one called Gorilla Crunch which looks like Kix. I hope your dad is adjusting to the diet and feeling better. :) Kendra

• 1 month later...
MistressIsis Apprentice

Whole Foods policy is if for ANY reason you don't like a product bring it back, Yes even opened with some missing.

I would also avoid the Wheat - Free items as they are usually processed on the same machines as wheat based products.

good luck and what a nice thing to hear someone doing so much for a family member with Celiac.

Archived