• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

elisabet

How Do You React To Sweet Potatoes

Rate this topic

Your son shouldn't be reacting to the potato itself, it's just a potato. What else was in the recipe? Sweet potatoes are much healthier than white potatoes, low on the Glycemic Index and packed with fiber!

Someone can certainlly be intolerant of sweet potatoes. It's important to know that they are not related to potatoes. Potatoes are in the nightshade family (with peppers, tomatoes, tobacco, & eggplant), and many folks with digestive issues have troubles with them. Sweet potatoes (and yams - same veggie actually just different variety) are in the Marigold family. They have advantages over potatoes: like someone said, lower glycemic index - in fact, good for diabetes they find - but also they don't require calcium to digest, so there is less bone loss if you are vegan as well.

I don't react to them, and in fact, eat them a lot...but I think just about anything can be reactive in an individual.

Good info - sweet potatoes are not potatoes, not related. I'm very intolerant to nightshades, but can have sweet potatoes and yams. Though I thought they were not actually related - I believe yams are a South American food (originally) and sweet potatoes originated in Africa? I guess that doesn't mean they aren't related.

Anyway, it could be a starch thing. I didn't react well to starches until I was gluten free for nearly a year. Now it's a lot easier for me to take them - in fact, when I am not stomaching other things well, I often fall back on yams.

Take care -

Stephanie

Good info - sweet potatoes are not potatoes, not related. I'm very intolerant to nightshades, but can have sweet potatoes and yams. Though I thought they were not actually related - I believe yams are a South American food (originally) and sweet potatoes originated in Africa? I guess that doesn't mean they aren't related.

Anyway, it could be a starch thing. I didn't react well to starches until I was gluten free for nearly a year. Now it's a lot easier for me to take them - in fact, when I am not stomaching other things well, I often fall back on yams.

Take care -

Stephanie

TRUE yams are actually Asian - and we don't really see them here except in specialty markets. Yams and Swett Potatoes and the same, but different variety - like two different types of pumpkin. Ironically, 'sweet potato' as we know it has more water volume, even though they seem more starchy. The yams are more popular in the west and the sweet potato is more popular in the east and south. I think I got all this info off worldsbestfoods.com A site that I love.