This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Surgery Question

Kate123

Kate123 Newbie

Hello, I am new to the board and I really do not know one thing about message boards. I admit that I will make some mistakes until I feel my way through the prosess--please let me know if there are things I can do to be a good member!

Unfortunately it is necessary that I have a second spinal cervical fusion soon. My first fusion surgery (6/01) was prior to my Celiac diagnosis and was with donor bone graft. The surgery I am needing now will be with bone donor and titanium rods or plates.

Does anyone know anything about the "putty/adhesive" being gluten free? If glue is used on the screws is that gluten free? How about any products used during surgery? I have a pre-op question/answer session appointment with my surgeon on July 21st. I want to be prepared, as the last time I was in the hospital, even speaking with the dietition prior to admission I was glutenized and the nursing staff had no idea about my meds.

Also, I have developed metal allergies and I am trying to learn as much about titanium as possible before surgery--going to dermatologist.

The good news I now weigh 130lbs.---after my first surgery I dropped to 87lbs and was in "grave" condition. After many medical experiences I was diagnosed with Celiac's in March 2002 and being gluten-free I slowly progressed to eating dairy, eggs, etc.

Thanks for listening. I want to go to the pre-op discussion with every stone unturned, then my surgeon and I can work together on this and I can get better!!

Kate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie

You should ask the surgeon what kind of adhesive he will be using. I worked with medical adhesives on an R&D project a while back, and at that time many of them were cyanoacrylates - superglue variations.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello, I am new to the board and I really do not know one thing about message boards. I admit that I will make some mistakes until I feel my way through the prosess--please let me know if there are things I can do to be a good member!

Unfortunately it is necessary that I have a second spinal cervical fusion soon. My first fusion surgery (6/01) was prior to my Celiac diagnosis and was with donor bone graft. The surgery I am needing now will be with bone donor and titanium rods or plates.

Does anyone know anything about the "putty/adhesive" being gluten free? If glue is used on the screws is that gluten free? How about any products used during surgery? I have a pre-op question/answer session appointment with my surgeon on July 21st. I want to be prepared, as the last time I was in the hospital, even speaking with the dietition prior to admission I was glutenized and the nursing staff had no idea about my meds.

Also, I have developed metal allergies and I am trying to learn as much about titanium as possible before surgery--going to dermatologist.

The good news I now weigh 130lbs.---after my first surgery I dropped to 87lbs and was in "grave" condition. After many medical experiences I was diagnosed with Celiac's in March 2002 and being gluten-free I slowly progressed to eating dairy, eggs, etc.

Thanks for listening. I want to go to the pre-op discussion with every stone unturned, then my surgeon and I can work together on this and I can get better!!

Kate

Hi and welcome to the boards, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I agree with asking the surgeon, demand he check everything. I would also ask if someone can bring you food from home. The inflammation from a glutening is not condusive to quick healing. Perhaps a freind or relative or even someone from a visiting nurse service or your church could talk to the dietitian if needed. I would also demand that the pharmacist at the hospital check anything given to you as far as meds go and get the gluten statis in writing. Hospitals can be so unknowledgealble and at times uncaring about Celiac that it's a almost a crime.

Archived