This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enzymes Help Celiacs Digest Small Amounts Of Gluten

prinsessa

prinsessa Contributor

I read in a magazine that people who have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance can digest small amounts of gluten if they take digestive enzymes. I don't know what I did with the magazine though (I think my husband threw it away). It was one of those magazine you get for free at the health food stores. I think the amounts of gluten where extremely small (like how much would there would be in food from cross contamination). Has anyone heard of this?

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

au natural Newbie

:huh: Im skeptical but in recent reports of june 28 in the health day news researchers have discovered an

enzyme that may prevent the allergic reaction in us. they call it EP-B2. it suppose to digest gluten in an acidic enviroment- our stomach-. They say that combining it with PEP enzyme the two together may allow celiacs to eat normally. If this turns out to be true--- what a god send it would be to us sufferers.!!!

ebrbetty Rising Star

I have a bottle, bought it with the lactose pills i ordered, still haven't tryed them

hez Enthusiast

A friend of mine has children who are allergic (not celiac) to wheat and dairy. When they are at potlucks or out to dinner the kids take some kind of enzyme that she says helps with cc. However, they have a different response because they are allergic. I am not sure if it would help if you had celiac.

I really am not sure about these health food store enzymes, I have never tried them.

I have heard of the research being done with the EP-B2. I think the research is being done at Stanford?

Hez

itskt2u Newbie

It is my opinion that celiacs DO eat normally. It is (almost) everyone else that ingests gluten that is making a mistake! About 80% of the population of the US has celiac and/or gluten sensitivity genes. Only 20% or so can ingest gluten without it causing some sort of negative health effect(s), to a greater or lesser degree. I think humans as a whole are making a big mistake by ingesting gluten grains.

Kate

:huh: Im skeptical but in recent reports of june 28 in the health day news researchers have discovered an

enzyme that may prevent the allergic reaction in us. they call it EP-B2. it suppose to digest gluten in an acidic enviroment- our stomach-. They say that combining it with PEP enzyme the two together may allow celiacs to eat normally. If this turns out to be true--- what a god send it would be to us sufferers.!!!

evie Rookie
It is my opinion that celiacs DO eat normally. It is (almost) everyone else that ingests gluten that is making a mistake! About 80% of the population of the US has celiac and/or gluten sensitivity genes. Only 20% or so can ingest gluten without it causing some sort of negative health effect(s), to a greater or lesser degree. I think humans as a whole are making a big mistake by ingesting gluten grains.

Kate

Say, I sure do like your line of thinking!! :) Now how are we going to get the rest of the people + the medical people to agree? When you think of the paleo diet (caveman days) that sounds like you have somethig there!!

I have been reading about that enzyme being worked on too/ PEP 2 or ?? Maybe they will get that ready so we can use it, that would be great!! :) I also will be hoping the gov't will set up guidelines where all grains/ gluten will be mentioned on the package, not just wheat. Also hope they get it changed so type of modified food starch will be listed then more foods will be safe, I can't afford so many special foods.

I have started taking glutamine powder that is supposed to hasten the healing of the intestines, hope it works. Made by Renew Life and not cheap!! :huh: Good nite. evie

• 2 weeks later...
au natural Newbie
Say, I sure do like your line of thinking!! :) Now how are we going to get the rest of the people + the medical people to agree? When you think of the paleo diet (caveman days) that sounds like you have somethig there!!

I have been reading about that enzyme being worked on too/ PEP 2 or ?? Maybe they will get that ready so we can use it, that would be great!! :) I also will be hoping the gov't will set up guidelines where all grains/ gluten will be mentioned on the package, not just wheat. Also hope they get it changed so type of modified food starch will be listed then more foods will be safe, I can't afford so many special foods.

I have started taking glutamine powder that is supposed to hasten the healing of the intestines, hope it works. Made by Renew Life and not cheap!! :huh: Good nite. evie

If you ask me the government has done enough. They have allowed to many food groups to be "played with" . There is too much genetic engeneering going on. No wonder people are getting sicker by the day. The more they fiddle with our food the worse it gets. More cancer, more food allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

evie Rookie
If you ask me the government has done enough. They have allowed to many food groups to be "played with" . There is too much genetic engeneering going on. No wonder people are getting sicker by the day. The more they fiddle with our food the worse it gets. More cancer, more food allergies.

Yes, you are right about that too. Like the crops that have been genetically changed, they are apt to cause problems sooner or later. Seems like I do not hear much about them anymore, which may be good, hopefully. A few yeas ago the food pyramid was changed again soon after 1 change because the grain people did not like us being advised to cut out some grains. I fear things will be worse before better, but I try to put a positive spin on things. :) Take care, evie

issima Newbie

Here's the abstract to a recent study about EP-B2 (in rats, however):

Open Original Shared Link

Here's more:

Open Original Shared Link

I'll probably be dead of old age before this ever gets to the point where they are willing to say it works for humans, however. Everything takes so much time.

Archived