This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipes Needed

mouse

mouse Enthusiast

I am really to sick right at the moment to do much research on this. But, does anyone have recipes they could share with me. I need to eat more then I am. And I am just eating the same things over and over again, because I am really scared to eat the wrong thing. Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Sorry you're having problems :(

One of my favorite comfort recipes happens to be gluten-free, soy free, and dairy free! It's also ridiculously cheap to make...

GREEK RICE

2 tbsp margerine, butter, or oil of choice

1 c. white rice

1 clove garlic, minced

2 c. chicken broth or boullion (stronger than normal is good)

1 lb ground beef

- heat the oil in a skillet or wok, add the rice. Brown the rice and until the rice is a golden brown color (add garlic near the end of browning).

- Add chicken broth, then crumble the raw ground beef into the pan. Bring to a boil.

- Once boiling, reduce the heat and cover. Cook until rice is done.

Serve with applesauce :)

Sounds wierd, but it's awesome, I promise!

flagbabyds Collaborator

i have notihng, im on the same diet (minus dairy)

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't have a lot of recipes, either. It's tough when we have to avoid so many ingredients. Most of our meals are the typical meat, potato, veggie, salad type of thing. Tonight, for the first time, I'm trying ham and scalloped potatoes using Vance's--if it turns out well, I'll post how I did it tomorrow. You already have the chicolate chip cookie recipe--I did try banana bread, but it turned out like a brick :o . Back to the drawing board on that one.....I'm further recipe challenged as I can't use grains. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Hi Armetta,

I've seen quite a few recipes on www.whfoods.com that appear to be corn, dairy, soy and gluten-free. I was specifically looking at the Rosemary Chicken, Dill Salmon, Apple Tart and Curried Lentils. You might want to look into those. I'm not a corn-free expert but I don't do dairy or soy.

I hope you feel better soon!!!!

kabowman Explorer

--Grilled anything

--Fish with lemon

--Chicken salad

--Spaghetti

--Meatloaf

--Meatloaf Meatballs - same recipe, no tomato in the balls, pour a can of diced over the top, half way through cooking

--Tabouleah (spelling anyone?)

--Deviled Eggs for a side

--Potato salad

(can you tell I am in a summer foods type of mood--mostly)

--Gazpacho

--Chicken quesedias w/o cheese, w/guac.

I think this is all my tired brain can think of right now - can you share back - I am tired of my foods too.

mouse Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I just want to keep this thread alive. I will go to the website for recipes after my nap. And that Greek Rice sounds wonderful (just printed it out). I also have on my list to learn how to make a vinegar and olive oil dressing. I have never done it before as it was just easier to buy Kraft Ranch. Oh well, I will learn to do this to. But, I am so glad for the help anyone can give me.

Patti, please let me know how it turns out. I just used my Vance's for the first time and made a smoothie. Some lunch - he he. A salmon steak baked in foil with only pepper and lemon on it (put lemon on it before baking). It is just fantastic. I also do this on the grill at high heat for 20 minutes. So, a smoothie and salmon for lunch. But at least I am eating again.

Kaybowman. Do you have a recipe for the meatloaf meatballs. I am a recipe follower. I can change things AFTER I see a recipe, but am not creative in the kitchen. I made a pasta the other day that was absolutely awful, but I ate it anyway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

We just did a stir fry last night that had

short grain brown rice

zuchinni

yellow squash

green beans

mushrooms

filet mignon sliced up

You could add any number of things to that according to your likes and dislikes. You can't use soy sauce, but what about Braggs Liquid Aminos? I am not sure what is in it and don't have a bottle. Really you could just use salt and pepper and it is still very flavorful with the veggies and brown rice.

I hope that you are feeling better soon!!! ((((HUGS))))

We just did a stir fry last night that had

short grain brown rice

zuchinni

yellow squash

green beans

mushrooms

filet mignon sliced up

You could add any number of things to that according to your likes and dislikes. You can't use soy sauce, but what about Braggs Liquid Aminos? I am not sure what is in it and don't have a bottle. Really you could just use salt and pepper and it is still very flavorful with the veggies and brown rice.

I hope that you are feeling better soon!!! ((((HUGS))))

Editing to add that I make a bunch of brown rice at once and keep it in the fridge for use during the week.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I also have on my list to learn how to make a vinegar and olive oil dressing. I have never done it before as it was just easier to buy Kraft Ranch. Oh well, I will learn to do this to.

You can do one part vinegar to four parts oil, wisk it together. That's all :) You can add salt, pepper and herbs too if you want. I actually don't always measure. When I'm in a rush in the morning I just pour a little olive oil and a little balsamic (white balsamic is good) into a container and then shake it up and bring it to work with a salad. You can't really go wrong with olive oil and balsamic.

Here's some more specific links to the recipes I was talking about. I'm pretty sure they're corn-free and they look pretty good:

Open Original Shared Link

angel-jd1 Community Regular

There are SO many fruits in season right now....use what you have to make this salad.

I made a yummy fruit salad the other night with fresh fruit that I had in the refrigerator.

Green Grapes

Blueberries

Strawberries

1/4c Honey

1/4 c Orange Juice

Wash and Slice the fruit if you wish and dump into a bowl. Mix OJ and honey together and pour over the fruit. Serve cold......mmmmmm You could use any fruit, even canned and adjust the "sauce" accoring to however much fruit you are using.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

kabowman Explorer

Meatloaf Meatballs:

2 lbs. of ground beef

about 2T+ crushed garlic (I really LOVE garlic)

about 1/2 C. gluten/soy/corn/yeast free bread crumbs

2T dairy free milk

cut up bell peppers about 1/2 C+/-

cut up sweet onion about 1/2 C+/-

1 egg, 2 if it need to stick together more

sea salt

pepper

Mix together and form into meatballs.

1 Can of diced tomatoes - hold for during cooking.

Fry/brown on two sides (cook about half way), then pour the can of tomatoes over the top, cover, and simmer until done and excess water is cooked off--I always leave the cover off, my hubby always leaves the cover on and has to cook them longer to cook off moisture.

Let me know if you have any questions - my boys actually BEG for these and swear they don't like meatloaf but this is my regular recipe, just made into balls instead of a loaf.

mouse Enthusiast

I am going to work on my grocery list tomorrow, so that when I am feeling better I can try all of these. Have to get to the store first. I just don't have the energy since the diagnosis of Celiac to cook more then one meal for my husband and me. He eats what I prepare. And these sound like things he would also enjoy. The poor guy had to put up with some dandy meals in the beginning when I was learning how to cook gluten free - he he.

I have to share something positive that happened this afternoon. Since all I do is sit at the computer or rest, I thought I would email my nearest PF Changs, where we have eaten since they opened. I was going to thank them for always being careful of my food and that all Celiacs appreciate it. No email address and so I called between lunch and dinner. About a month ago, we went there with our neighbors for dinner and corn was a problem then. I had called prior to going and spoke to one of the nice managers. Her roommate is a Celiac. Will, when I called today, I got the same manager and told her what I wanted to say and she said what were my allergens and she looked at the gluten-free menu and said that she KNEW that they would be able to feed me. I cried after I got off the phone. We will be able to meet friends for dinner. The last time I was there, the chef came out to talk to me and said that he would always be able to cook for me, but that was only corn. I just thought that this would be impossible. She said she would get with the chef and he would work on things I could have and she would email me the list. I told her no hurry as I was not going anywhere for awhile. I am so lucky that this branch of a National Chain would be so caring with just one person.

amybeth Enthusiast

When you are feeling better - check out www.foodsyoucaneat.com (it might be www.foodyoucaneat.com -- I can never remember if it is plural).........You can start an account for free, and indicate the food items you are unable to eat. Then, they will filter through their recipe data base and show you only recipes that fit your dietary needs.

Good luck!

mouse Enthusiast

Thank you amybeth for the link. I will look it up.

Tonight for dinner we had salmon (yes, again) on the grill. I made fresh zuchinni (yellow and green), which was given to me at the doctor's yesterday(home grown). I sauted it in roasted garlic olive oil and just added salt and pepper. I also made my first mash potatoes with the Vance's milk. The consistancy is not the same as milk, but it still looks real good. I added the roasted garlic oil and salt and pepper while mashing. My husband liked these so much that for the first time, he did not put butter on his potatoes.

For those of you that have my same allergens, I called Boars Head today as the grocery store I shop at carries their brand. I knew they were gluten-free, but inquired about the soy, corn and dairy. There are 5 that I can have. My tremors are bad today because of the prednisone, but hopefully I can read most of my writing. Here is the list:

Deluxe Roast Beef

PREMIUM (she stressed the premium) low sodium turkey

Italian Prosciutto (3 kinds)

Deparma

Rieserva

Skinless

indyceliac Newbie

How about..

apricot glazed chicken

1/2 cup apricot preserves

2 tsp gluten-free mustard

1 tsp ginger

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

salt n pepper to taste

Rinse chicken..pat dry..spinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for 5 min on each side on a greased baking pan. Combine glaze ingredients..brush on chicken..broil 3 mins more on each side or until done.

or..u can combine everything together on a baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 min or until done. (when i do it this way i might add a little chicken broth or even orange juice for more liquid)

I like to serve with wild rice and a green vegetable (asparagus or green beans)

indyceliac Newbie

Sweet and Sour Pot Roast

12 small white potatoes, peeled

1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)

1 tablespoon cooking oil

1 cup chopped onion

1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 to 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

Place potatoes in a slow cooker. Trim fat from roast; brown in hot oil on all sides in a skillet. Place meat in the slow cooker. Stir in onion, tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and salt. Pour over meat and potatoes. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until the meat is tender. Before serving, pour sauce into a skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened; serve with potatoes and meat. Yield: 6-8 servings.

or...

(reprinted from Taste of Home magazine)

Baked Seafood Avocados

1 cup mayonnaise (Spectrum Naturals has a soy-free, corn-free, dairy-free mayo)

3/4 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

1/8 teaspoon salt, optional

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 can (4-1/2 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed (NOT imitation crabmeat)

1 can (4 ounces) medium shrimp, rinsed and drained

4 large ripe avocados, halved and pitted

1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/4 cup crushed potato chips, optional

In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, celery, onions, salt if desired and pepper.

Add crab and shrimp; mix well. Peel avocados if desired. Sprinkle avocados with

lemon juice; fill with seafood mixture. Sprinkle with potato chips if desired.

Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at

350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.

Yield: 8 servings.

some different ideas...hope those help!

indyceliac Newbie

ok, I HAVE ONE MORE... last night for dinner I made one of my favorite fish dinners.. i dont measure so bear with me..

Fish and Potato Casserole from Spain

Onion, peeled and thinly sliced

Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

Orange Roughy (or u can use Cod or anything other white fish)

lemons, 1-2

olive oil

capers, abt a tablespoon

oregano

paprika

salt n pepper

In a 12x9 Baking dish drizzle a little olive oil..then layer onions and potatoes..add fish..then another layer of onion and potatoes. squeeze juice of lemons on top..drizzle more olive oil.. add capers, salt, pepper and oregano, and paprika, for color. Cover with aluminum foil..bake at 350 for about 35 minutes..until potatoes are tender.

mouse Enthusiast

Oh, my goodness - my mouth is watering. I am going to work on my grocery list today and hopefully I will feel up to going to the store tomorrow. Thanks for all the great recipes.

I can share something at least. After I started to get some oxygen in my body, it dawned on me that I have a recipe for MAYO. So, here it is.

2 eggs at room tempature

2 Tbl lemon juice

1/4 sea salt

1 1/4 cup oil (I use canola)

Put the first three ingreds. in the blender and slowly add the oil. Put in a covered GLASS dish.

Because I am the only one who uses Mayo, I cut the recipe in half as it only lasts about a week in the fridge. I also can use this for potato salad, etc. Sure glad I remembered this. Who says my brain is totally dead :ph34r: I have not made this for 6 years so I am so glad I remembered.

Will I guess my brain is still a little dead as I just printed out this whole page instead of just the Fish casserole one. LOL

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Armetta--Well, I tried the ham and scalloped potatoes last night and it was really good! My non gluten-free husband liked it, too. It is not exactly the same as it would be if milk was used and a couple of handfuls of cheese would have been even better, but for dairy, soy, corn, grain, and gluten-free--I have to say it was tasty. :D

Put 2 tbsp. potato starch in saucepan. Add 2 1/2 cups Vance's, whisking as you add this. Cook over medium heat, stiring until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 2 Tbsp. butter, margarine--whatever you use. Even olive oil would work, I'm sure. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside. (If this white sauce is too thick, add a little more Vance's)

Heat oven to 375. Peel and thinly slice 6 good size potatoes. Mince one medium onion. Cube up about 3 cups of ham (I used leftover, you could cube a Cooks Ham slice).

Grease casserole dish with Spectrum. Put in 1/2 the potato slices, 1/2 of the onion and 1/2 of the ham cubes. Pour 1/2 the white sauce over. Repeat, using up all of the ingredients. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Since this was the first time I made this, I was thinking that it might be good to replace 1 cup of the Vance's with gluten-free chicken broth. I may try that next time.

mouse Enthusiast

Oh, thanks Patti as my husband loves scallop potato's. I didn't use cheese on the previous ones I have made, so hubby and I won't miss it. :) You know that when I do my grocery list for all these ideas, it is going to take me an hour to write everything down. :lol:

corinne Apprentice

Apple porkchops are one of my favourites. Put a single layer of porkchops in a baking dish. Slice (and peel if peels are too much) enough apples to cover the porkchops. Drizzle the apples with honey. Bake at 350 for about an hour.

shai76 Explorer

I really like the Namsta stuff. They make good cakes and cookies and pancakes. Not sure if you do eggs or not, but energy egg replacer works great in them.

I wish I could help you more. I'm sort of in the same boat. I have been eating potatos all the time because the doctor thinks I might be allergic to rice now too. But I know lots of different ways to cook potatos. :)

Maybe you could keep frozen chicken breats, and then cook those up fast and easy? Soups are good too and you can keep them warm in the crock pot all day. I make my own with just vegetables,w ater, and spices. I throw it all in a pot and turn it on and let it sit all day. Spinach with carrots and beans, potatos and italian spices is pretty good.

I know you've been very sick and cooking is probably a little difficult. Hopefully your husband is good in the kitchen. :)

I don't trust my husband to cook. I would rather just have a bag of chips and some fruit!

mouse Enthusiast

Shai, you are too funny. My husband cooking a meal, he can't even attend the grill properly - he he. When I was bedridden the last month before the diagnosis. I did not cook at all. I ate very little, and he was always trying to get me to have toast, sandwiches, whatever. The poor guy existed on sandwiches and soup for that month. And never complained once as he was just so worried and helpless about how to help me. They can't be perfect, so I will take the support he gives to me through all of the last 28 months. He can fry hamburger and fry a steak. Would not trust himself with the broiler - he he. I am now starting to work on my grocery list and am going to look at soups. Then I could freeze them for my lunch.

Please keep this thread alive as I am learning so much and getting such wonderful ideas.

shai76 Explorer

It's great your husband is so supportive and cares so much. If you can eat steak, don't forget those at the store so he can cook dinner for you some night. :)

One thing I make that people seem to like is fruit and rice salad. I mix cold, cooked brown rice with fruit (grapes, cherries, raisins, pineapple...whatever you like), fruit juice, real maple syrup, cinnamon, and I mix it all up. I guess coconut would be good too if you can eat that. It can be kept in the refrigerator and is good and sweet.

Another good dish is the sweet potato apple mash. Boil sweet potatos and then mash them with apples and apple sauce and pumpkin pie spice. It is really good. :)

lindalee Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. I just want to keep this thread alive. I will go to the website for recipes after my nap. And that Greek Rice sounds wonderful (just printed it out). I also have on my list to learn how to make a vinegar and olive oil dressing. I have never done it before as it was just easier to buy Kraft Ranch. Oh well, I will learn to do this to. But, I am so glad for the help anyone can give me.

Patti, please let me know how it turns out. I just used my Vance's for the first time and made a smoothie. Some lunch - he he. A salmon steak baked in foil with only pepper and lemon on it (put lemon on it before baking). It is just fantastic. I also do this on the grill at high heat for 20 minutes. So, a smoothie and salmon for lunch. But at least I am eating again.

Kaybowman. Do you have a recipe for the meatloaf meatballs. I am a recipe follower. I can change things AFTER I see a recipe, but am not creative in the kitchen. I made a pasta the other day that was absolutely awful, but I ate it anyway.

I haven't bought salad dressing in years. The one I am doing now is easy. Olive oil and raw apple cidar vinegar with some italian seasoning and salt & pepper and I like garlic so I put raw garlic in also. It is good and refreshing. LLee

Archived