This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Warts

Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I have this nasty wart on my finger that I had hoped would go away if I ignored it long enough, but man, it's stubborn. Also,, my daughter has had the weirdest wart on her finger for several years now, and it won't go away,either. Hers looks like an inchworm, but skin colored, and it's on the back of her finger. Her pediatrician says if it doesn't bother her (it doesn't), to leave it alone and it will go away someday.

Anybody have any suggestions here?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ehrin Explorer

I had warts as a kid - they covered the front side of my right hand - NASTY!

I had them frozen off with liquid nitrogen - I remember seeing a similar OTC product -

here's a link for it

Open Original Shared Link

it was painful as a kid...and took multiple treatments, but it sure worked!

I'm not sure how effective the OTC stuff is.

Good Luck!

inquirer Newbie

In The Coconut Oil Miracle, Bruce Fife says that a salve of crushed raw garlic and coconut oil applied several times a day can get rid of warts. (Refrigerate the salve) No guarantess but you can try it.

CarlaB Enthusiast

The easiest wart remedy is to cover them with duct tape. Yea, that stuff guys think works to fix everything, definately fixes even the most stubborn warts!!! It really works, trust me on this!! My husband is currently using it on a wart that came back after being frozen off and it's working. I've also used it many times. Easy, easy, easy.

penguin Community Regular
The easiest wart remedy is to cover them with duct tape. Yea, that stuff guys think works to fix everything, definately fixes even the most stubborn warts!!! It really works, trust me on this!! My husband is currently using it on a wart that came back after being frozen off and it's working. I've also used it many times. Easy, easy, easy.

For how long? I have them all over the back of my left hand <_<

Aha. I think it's the same idea as the coconut oil--deprive the wart of oxygen and away it goes...

CarlaB Enthusiast
For how long? I have them all over the back of my left hand <_<

It varies ... till they go away. Stubborn ones can take a couple weeks, some just a couple days. I find it a lot easier than the old Compound W.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I had plantar warts on my hand as a kid - we used the strong salicylic acid to get them off, but it took a couple months.

About three years ago, I picked up a flat wart on my leg somehow. Small, round, salmon colored - just slightly redder than skin color, but only barely. Unfortunately, I'm a girl, and girl's shave, and shaving spreads them. I ended up going in for two rounds of cryo (after we biopsied one to verify it was a wart), and each time froze more than 50 of the things. Didn't work, and I had to wait them out. Nearly two years after they first popped up, my legs started itching like crazy for about four weeks, and - as confirmed by a dermatologist - it was my immune system finally kicking in and clearing them out. They're all gone now. (And I will never use a shared mat at a yoga studio again!) :-)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Here's a link to a news story on duct tape and warts.

Open Original Shared Link

JodiC Apprentice

I read somewhere that warts are caused by a virus that children carry. Tipically adults do not get it unless they have a weakened immune system. Anyone else heard of this? I just had 2 warts pop us. I haven't had one since I was 8 or so. I think you can go on web md and find out more.

I read somewhere that warts are caused by a virus that children carry. Tipically adults do not get it unless they have a weakened immune system. Anyone else heard of this? I just had 2 warts pop us. I haven't had one since I was 8 or so. I think you can go on web md and find out more.

Adults can get it to. Sometimes the immune system just decides not to fight off the HPV virus. Warts are caused by HPV. There are something like 117 strains. A number of them cause genital warts - a totally different set of strains cause the common warts you get. Kids pick them up easily because they share a lot of things and get cuts and scrapes, which is how the virus enters the body. But adults can get them as well, and sometimes the immune system doesn't bother with them, because they are usually not particularly harmful, just annoying.

mamaw Community Regular

Yep. I agree starve the buggers of air and they die off.... works for skin tags also!!!!!!I also read an article from Dr Gott who has weird things to do for certain ailments , sometimes from readers who have come across things that work . Someone puts hard as nails (Sally Hansen) brand on skin tags & warts and it makes them disappear. I think twice a day to apply. I usually just put a waterproof band-aid on a skin tag & leave it on for about a week or so and it dies & fall off but they do come back.

mamaw

plantime Contributor

What causes skin tags? It's nice to know that there is a virus out there that my immune system is likely to ignore, since it doesn't ignore anything!

What causes skin tags? It's nice to know that there is a virus out there that my immune system is likely to ignore, since it doesn't ignore anything!

Skin tags are just another variety of wart - akin to plantar or flat.

• 4 weeks later...
azmom3 Contributor

My oldest son and I get them all the time on our fingers. I have tried OTC stuff, but it takes putting it on every day for weeks and I'm just not very diligent about it. I usually just cover them with a bandaid when I'm going somehwere important so I don't gross anyone out and then anytime I'm at the doctor for anything, I get them removed with the stuff that freezes them. It hurts, but just know that the pain does not last very long, sometimes only 30 seconds or so. It's much easier to deal with it when you know there's an end in sight. :D Whenever my son gets his removed, he gets something special afterwards...either his favorite treat or friends over or whatever. You might also want to know that sometimes after they freeze them you can get pretty nasty looking blood blisters where the wart was. They may stay for a couple weeks until the wart finally falls off. It's amazing though..one day it's there and the next it's gone and looks like a brand new finger. Good luck!

frenchiemama Collaborator

Ug, I have this cluster of plantar warts on my foot that I cannot for the life of me get rid of. I have been to the doctor and had them frozen twice and also tried a myriad of OTC stuff. They just keep coming back. I hate them. I'm going to see if my dermatologist can laser them off or something.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Ug, I have this cluster of plantar warts on my foot that I cannot for the life of me get rid of. I have been to the doctor and had them frozen twice and also tried a myriad of OTC stuff. They just keep coming back. I hate them. I'm going to see if my dermatologist can laser them off or something.

Have you tried the duct tape? It works great, and if they're on your feet, no one will see it! If they keep coming back, you probably aren't getting all the seeds out of them. Be persistent. Treat them even after you think they're gone.

I've frozen them off, used Compound W, and used duct tape. The tape is so easy! Plus, it won't hurt (I mean pain) to use it even after you think they're gone.

Nic Collaborator

Hi, I actually have a problem with a wart on my left knee. It just appeared when I was about 20 (I am know 32). Almost every summer I go to a dermatologist and have it scraped off or cortorized. By spring it is back. And it spreads out, gets pretty big. The doc. now gives me a script. for Aldera which is an anti viral cream to use after it heals from the removal but it still comes back (you would think I would have given up after 12 years but it is a matter of principle now :P ). Anyway, the doc. explained to me that warts are caused by viral infections and for some reason my body just can't get rid of it. I'll let you know in the next 12 years if I get rid of it :lol: >

Nicole

If they keep coming back, you probably aren't getting all the seeds out of them.

Seeds? SEEDS? There are SEEDS in the blasted things? :blink:

Why can't I have seeds for something nice, like long eyelashes? :ph34r:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Seeds? SEEDS? There are SEEDS in the blasted things? :blink:

Why can't I have seeds for something nice, like long eyelashes? :ph34r:

Yea, I'm with you there!!!!!! Usually under that layer of cauliflower looking stuff, there are black seeds. You have to get rid of those, or your warts will become "perennials." <_< Different warts are different, but most of the ones I've had have black seeds!

key Contributor

I have one on my foot that I have had forever! I used to have some on my elbow. I had a doctor freeze them off and he told me I had to come right back to freeze any again if they started popping up, because the virus will remain in your body. So I did this and they have been gone for about 12 years. I had to go back about two more times, but it worked. I was going to have the one on my foot lazered off, but the doctor informed me I needed to take a weekend to do nothing and my foot would probably hurt for two weeks. I was moving, so I didn't want to go through that at the time. Mine actually does cause a bit of pain at times, because it is so deep.

Guess I will try the duct tape again. I tried one time, but only for a day, because it wouldn't stay on my foot.

Monica

CarlaB Enthusiast

Takes longer than a day!! But it's easier to be persistent with than that topical medicine. Freezing might be easier though.

oceangirl Collaborator
Takes longer than a day!! But it's easier to be persistent with than that topical medicine. Freezing might be easier though.

I grew up having plantar's warts and the tried and true method of my French mother and grandmother is to take a sliver of salt pork, salt it some more and band-aid it firmly to the wart. Keep changing it after shower and all, but keep applying for three to five days and I GUARANTEE it will pull those warts right outta there and heal beautifully and fast. It's really true!

lisa

azmom3 Contributor
I grew up having plantar's warts and the tried and true method of my French mother and grandmother is to take a sliver of salt pork, salt it some more and band-aid it firmly to the wart. Keep changing it after shower and all, but keep applying for three to five days and I GUARANTEE it will pull those warts right outta there and heal beautifully and fast. It's really true!

lisa

Hmmm....what was the person thinking that invented this one! That's the strangest remedy I've ever heard...but hey, if it works.... :D

Where do you get salt pork? Would bacon do? Do you cook it first? :blink:

Archived